Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Lift Blocks - Whoa!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 09:55 PM
ciso
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
lift blocks are used on most dynas because the tranny pan is lower than the frame and it is not recommended to lift the bike with the weight on the tranny pan/oil pan. and it also causes the under side of the bike to not have a really true flat surface like two frame rails. Where alot of harleys are not like this and the frame is the lowest point on the bike and you can just roll the jack under and lift it up.
Thanks now I understand, I will have to pay more attention as I thought i was careful and only contacting solid points, or maybe just lucky and my lift has different dimensions, going to check it out.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:40 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently found out about these adapters. Mine fell off recently because I didn't strap it down but in the past I had no problems strapped without adapters. I have a set of the adapters waiting for me at the dealer but I might just return them and buy the j&s and be done.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:05 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I just welded three pads onto my jack and then sliced 3/4 heater hose to put over the contact points on the frame. I never took the hose off and no one has ever noticed it there. Works fine and never a worry about adaptors breaking or sliding.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:25 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

This thread is exactly why I did not buy the craftsman jacks. I went in a coupe years ago to sears and spent about an hour looking at the red and yellow aluminum craftsman motorcycle jacks. I took em out of the boxes had my measuring tape out checking distances, and just couldn't get myself to buy one of these jacks. I read numerous posts on folks having issues and the then I was really blown out of the water when I saw how guys had to roll their front tire on a 2x4 I believe and then get these pads for dyna frames. To me, this has mickey mouse written all over it, no way, 15,000 dollar bike to fart around with this, no way. Not to mention, the only other person in my house is my wife, and trying to get her out to finagle wheels or moving pads or whatever to jack it up, forget it.
What I did buy is a jack from js jacks, this thing is about 4 times the cost but if I owned something other than a dyna, I probably wouldn't have bothered but personally I think it's a must for dyna owners, it's even got a pan that goes in the jacking arms to change all 3 holes oil. Deffinitely good investment.

http://www.jsjacks.com/

Check em out, and no I don't work for em

Old 09-20-2009, 09:20 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel your pain, I had the leaning tower of motorcycle in my garage for three days waiting on my back rim.

People can call it operator error if they wish, but my opinion is the error is with the design of the blocks and (with the rear tire) with the moco during assembly not putting any lubricant on the rear axle .

I had my bike strapped down in two places and the straps were tight. It just could not take the hammering required to get the axle out. I bought a J and S jack after this happened. I guess I am getting too old to mess around with crap like this

Old 09-20-2009, 09:46 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
I just recently found out about these adapters. Mine fell off recently because I didn't strap it down but in the past I had no problems strapped without adapters. I have a set of the adapters waiting for me at the dealer but I might just return them and buy the j&s and be done.
Great idea!! My j&s rocks!! I've read about these blocks when I was shopping for a jack and someone on this forum had dropped there bike on a jack using the blocks. I haven't strapped it down once, but when I remove the rear wheel I'll strap it down. It's rock solid and doesn't move even when I'm pushing it back in the garage and going over the little 1/8 bump into the garage. Here's a video and some pics!! Oh and I just used it last weekend to drop my fuel tank to replace my fuel pump in my SUV! It's a lot lower then a regular car jack and worked perfect especially doing it myself!!

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...nt=JSJack2.flv

Last edited by JaronB; 09-20-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Old 09-21-2009, 10:28 PM
todkapuz
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the J&S lift looks nice, I dont see how it is any different from the sears in terms of lifting points... it still has two rails (although they appear further apart, and obviously have a slight lean to the side when at the bottom of the lift, to allow it to always fall to the kickstand side) ... thus the dyna would be resting on the same points that would necessitate the lifting blocks... otherwise its still resting on the strange drop-down from the frame and the oil pan and not the frame. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Of course with only 2300 miles on my new Dyna, still havent decided if I want to tow it to the dealer to fix the flat or not... my old sportster had its annoyances being on a lift (such a narrow frame), but then I used a home-made contraption for that.

edit: okay after crawling under my dyna again i see that there is a spot just behind the protector blade... although the frame is already narrowing there, but i can see how it works.

Last edited by todkapuz; 09-21-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

J&S and Sears the same??? No sir. They are made for a Dyna with different puckup points for different bikes. (I also use it for a Sportster). Go to the J&S site and watch their lift videos. Then try it with a Sear's jack... Not really, your bike would be messed up real bad. Point is, I got a J&S, and although it is not the only way to go, they pay for themselves after one oops with a lower end jack.

Quick Reply: Dyna Lift Blocks - Whoa!