Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a dyna - questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Derv
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a dyna - questions

Hi Fellas - and ladies of course. New guy here - I've already said my hellos in the new members section - but hi to you here as well.

I've not got a Harley yet, been riding sports tourer bikes for years but now as I approach the "Autumn years" I fancy a change to a cruiserish - more laid back style of riding. Looked at the Jap Cruisers and as efficent and reliable as they are, they have no soul. So, I starting looking at Harleys - first thoughts being a 1200 Sporter - always loved those little things. But, me and Mrs Derv still have a few years touring left in us yet and the little Sportster looks like it may be a bit cramped for two up riding with a shed load of luggage on board as well, so thoughts have turned to the Dynas.

Today, I was all ready to go down to our local Harley dealer and put a deposit down on an early 2007 Street Bob, but by pure chance I found this forum and discovered the IPB probs on those things - plus the out of true flywheel and oil pump shaft issues so thought better of it and had a re-think. It all sounds like an underdeveloped motor to me, rushed out to satisfy the need for "bigger better" So, I've now turned my thoughts to a pre 2006 5 speed 1450 motor Dyna - preferably a low rider because a) I'm gettng old and have trouble reaching the floor! and b) I have litte short legs anyway!

Question is, what reliablity issues if nay do the pre 2006 Dyans have and are higher mileage ones a safe bet to buy? I've seen three I fancy:

Number 1 is a private sale and although older than I really want, is a 2000 model low rider which looks in fine order, obviousy been well cared for with lots of expensive extras of the kind I'd buy myself. That one has 13,000 miles on the clock. It's up a £6250 - well within my budget - I'm not sure how this equates to US values though.

Number two is a Harley dealer bike, this one looks absolutely stunning in the photos, metallic burgundy with lots of useful extras. It's another low rider, 2002 in the year and up at £7200. This one has 17500 miles on it, but that could be a bargaining point for getting it down a bit, especially as I have no part exchange for them to be concerned about.

Number three - another private sale. 2005 in the year, low miles at only 4,700 looks in great condition, not much in the way of extras though. Metallic dark grey. This one is a Super Glide custom (bit taller) and is up at £7750

Of the three, number 2 appeals the most (I'll try and attach a picture but I'm not sure if the mileage is a bit high. I'd appreciate some opinions on that

Finally - sorry this is so long - any pointers on what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated - any weak points, or things that commonly go wrong that should be inspected?

If you've manged to get this far then thanks for sticking with it - and thanks for any advice

Best
Derv

Hey - yippeee the phot uploaded.......well chuffed with that!

Attached Thumbnails Buying a dyna - questions-dyna-4.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the Forum

The 06 was really the only year with any isses on the new motor that I am aware. A few things you also get with the newer ones (besides motor/transmission) that you may or may not care about are Wider rear fender/tire, fatter front forks and a beefier frame.. Dont have much experience with the older ones so I will let someone else chime in on those.

I wouldnt limit you search to low riders because of seat height since that is a easy cheap fix to get any of the Dynas to that height or lower.

Low Rider in the picture looks nice.

Last edited by bberck; 09-17-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like he said, don't limit yourself to the low rider. The differance is the length of the shocks. The stock Harley shocks are not that good anyway. If you're going to be touring, you'll want better shocks anyway.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I think #3 is likely the best overall deal. You'll want to customize to your own tastes, so don't be too taken with one's goodies, unless they're just what you'd want to install anyway. Ebay is your best resource for good deals on accessories, and of course this Forum is your best resource for helpful tips, diagnosing problems, and encouragement when tackling a mod.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 PM
danktat
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough choice. I do like the looks of that second bike (by the way it looks alot like the '03 anniversary emblem on the tank). The mileage can be a concern but you should be getting alot or miles out of a well taken care of bike. You just may not know how well it was mantained before it ended up at the dealer. The custom is probably the best overall value vs. mileage, year ect....I just am not a fan of the look of the silver engine. The first bike may be what I would end up going with. It was ridden lest than 1500 miles per year. If it was well kept it may be a better bike than the year would indicate. Then again, I am not one who has to have the "newest" model bike. Sometimes the price being right is enough for me

Also, I am 5'5" tall and am on a Wide Glide. It isn't difficult to modify your bike for the riding comfort you want after you get it so keep your options open.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:49 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

[quote=bberck;5597786]Welcome to the Forum

The 06 was really the only year with any isses on the new motor that I am aware. [quote]

06 was still an 88 inch motor, granted it did get the updated cam drive/plate but that was actually a good thing. Now the IPB/stator issues...........oh yea we own those!!!!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 465 Likes on 275 Posts

Number 2 it is; an excellent year in my opinion. A few points:
1. The frames on the 05 and earlier Low Riders (and Wide Glides) have more rake than other Dynas of the same years; 32 vs 28 degrees
2. If you ever plan on serious motor work the '02 is the last year with the preffered Timkin bearing on the drive side of the crank. It was a point with me...
3. The '06's and later gained weight
5. The 6th gear will only be used on "M" roads
6. You didn't open the EFI vs Carb can 'o worms
7. Try and ascertain what the dealer is like; how much of a reputation do they have for after sales service, esp on their used
8. I've got over 40000km two up touring with my '01 FXDXT at 111hp with no problems
9. My 5'7" wife bought herself an 08 Low Rider for her first bike and we went to Sturgis this summer without a hitch.
10. The 96 inch HDs have active exhaust over there, don't they???

Attached Thumbnails Buying a dyna - questions-sturgis-69ers-jim-008-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by sharkey; 09-17-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Missed one point
Old 09-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Derv
Tourer

Hey, thanks for the excellent responses fellas. I've been in touch with the dealer selling the 2nd bike (the one in the attached photo on my original post). Unfortunately he sold it yesterday.

I do have a few more to go at and one that caught my eye and that I like the more I look at it is the No 1 bike above - the 2000 low rider. I like the idea of this model having the twin front disc brake set up. This one has done 13500 miles and comes with Stg 1 Harley aftermarket pipes, Q.R screen & cissy / rack, it also comes with an extra seat. I wasn't aware of the different rake angles of the Dyna models though. If the Low Rider is more raked out than the SuperGlide etc does that have much of a detrimental effect on low speed manouvering? It also has a pretty skinny rear wheel with it's 130 section tyre. Can a wider tyre be shoehorned onto that rim or could a later 150 wheel and tyre be fitted? Apart from that I do like the look of the bike very much. I've attached a photo but the guy's shots aren't very good, I'll send another on a different post. I've been in contact with the seller and can go over Sunday to see it.

One final question, not sure if you are aware but Harleys don't have a terribly good rep for reliabilty over here in the UK - shock I know but there it is - I've said it! I'm pretty handy with a spanner and do like working on my bikes but I dont want it breaking down too often. From your experience what is the pre 2006 Dyna's reliability like? Are there any issues mechanical or othewise that I should be aware of, or particular years to steer clear of. ..... Or anything specific I should be looking at when I go to see the bike?

Cheers to you all
Dave

Attached Thumbnails Buying a dyna - questions-dyna-5.jpg  

Last edited by Derv; 09-18-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Derv
Tourer

Another pic

Attached Thumbnails Buying a dyna - questions-dyna-5a.jpg  
Old 09-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Derv
Tourer

one more

Attached Thumbnails Buying a dyna - questions-dyna-5b.jpg