Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPB-How do you know it's shot? (Sorry long read)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
With the bike idling in neutral, you'll hear a whirring noise; mine sounded like spinning a metal rollerskate wheel, or a metal rollerskate wheel on a concrete sidewalk. If you're too young to remember metal rollerskate wheels, it also sounds the same as a bad throwout bearing in a [manual shift] car. Ask an old-timer to listen to it and see if he says it sounds like a car's throwout bearing.

Pull in the clutch and listen for the whirring noise to roll to a stop. If you kick it into gear, the noise will stop immediately. Tap it back into neutral. Roll on a few hundred RPM above idle (not needed if it's really bad/noisy), and dump the clutch. If the noise spins back up, your IPB is toast. My second failure wasn't near as loud as the first time, but a tear-down by the shop still showed metal transfer between bearing/race, and heat discoloration.

If your noise is that loud, roll the dice and tell 'em you want it torn down and inspected; you pay the labor if it checks out good, they pay and FIX IT RIGHT under warranty if it's bad. That's what I had to do the second time...Tech said same thing, "All Dynas sound like that"...Bull-shevik! You know your bike! Most shops are IGNORANT of this issue. Educate them. Point them to my thread "Finally, Good News..." Good luck, and keep us informed. Call Milwaukee Customer Service FIRST to establish a "Reference Number" that your shop can use to deal with Milwaukee.
Thanks PKelly... I'll check it when I get home tonight. Seems to me that the noise disappears as soon as I pop it in gear. But I need to see if it rolls to a stop when I just pull in the clutch.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
Hmm.. thats not good man. There's been a lot of talk lately about this Baker IPB that's supposed to be really good. Perhaps order the part and tell your dealer to replace it with that if they will? I don't know what to tell you man.. maybe you should let me ride your scoot to see if I can hear it?
Adrian... come by someday. Gateway and Congress. We'll ride and swap bikes to compare. I ride every Saturday and Sunday morning fer sure. PM me.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Topspin
Adrian... come by someday. Gateway and Congress. We'll ride and swap bikes to compare. I ride every Saturday and Sunday morning fer sure. PM me.
Oh wow! Your really close. I'm on Hypoluxo, easy of 95. Pretty cool. Maybe we can get together this weekend. PM coming.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Ruprecht
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody knows if this IPB problem is fixed on the new (2009, 2010) bikes? I am considering getting into a new Super Glide but not if the problem exists.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:01 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

This was/is primarily (pardon the pun!) an '06 issue. When they came out with the six speed for '06 Dynas, someone decided that alignment dowels between the IPCase and tranny case weren't needed. If the factory got lucky and assembled things properly aligned, an '06 owner may never have a problem. Others of us have had multiple failures when HD just replaces the bearing and race, and doesn't correct the underlying problem. I've read of one Forum member who's had 4 failures. When HD fixed mine the second time, they upgraded me to '07 IP & Tranny cases. Topspin having problems with his '07 is unusual (he SHOULD HAVE doweled cases), but not unheard of.

Top; I'd ask to verify you don't have leftover '06 cases when/if they tear into it.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:16 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
Others of us have had multiple failures when HD just replaces the bearing and race,

Top; I'd ask to verify you don't have leftover '06 cases when/if they tear into it.
Patrick, thats a misnomer. If the tech doesnt see any visible damage to the race, it wont get changed. Got proof on that one.....
Also, the last run of 06's got the doweled case. There werent any holdovers going into the 07's (that I know of, but I could be wrong).

Tony, the dealer isnt going to tear into it under warranty unless they have a damn good reason to, and know they can find a problem. If the race isnt the problem, theres only one other bearing that possible could. And thats the mainshaft bearing between the mainshaft and the input shaft. Supposedly the dealer says they replaced that?? The input shaft has a zero tolerance when installed, and if theres any wiggle at all, its gonna make noise. The only way to know is to tear it apart yourself, and if its screwed, take it back to the dealer and shove it up their a$$ for not doing the warranty work they said they did. Wont be the first time I seen them screw it up. Had one dealer put the rings in upside down while doing a big bore upgrade. I didnt think that was possible, but they proved me wrong.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:33 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

That's why I had to roll the dice on my second failure. Tech said it sounded normal. I knew there was a problem, so I gave the OK for them to tear it down with the understanding that if he found all within spec, I'd be on the hook for about 3-4 hrs labor for them to chase a "non-existent problem". I know my bike, and knew the sound was NOT normal, so I told 'em to tear into it. I was proved right, and the subsequent repairs were picked up by HD.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:34 AM
MrSunset
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '08 Ultra is in the shop all week with this same apparent problem. I have 25000 miles racked up as it is my daily commuter (120 miles to work and back) in the one year I have owned the bike. Same symptoms, at a stop and engage first with clutch in, sound goes away. I think I can hear it at speed, clutch out and in gear. Waiting for a bushing to arrive, hope we get it cleared up. I like my local shop and hope they are on top of things....
The problem only surfaced about 1000 miles ago or so, but got so bad I had to take it in for second opinion.
Seems like most of the information suggests my '08 shouldn't be suffering from this problem, but who knows. Mostly hoping I didn't do any further damage waiting to take it in.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Patrick, thats a misnomer. If the tech doesnt see any visible damage to the race, it wont get changed. Got proof on that one.....
[COLOR="SandyBrown"]Also, the last run of 06's got the doweled case.[/COLOR] There werent any holdovers going into the 07's (that I know of, but I could be wrong).

Tony, the dealer isnt going to tear into it under warranty unless they have a damn good reason to, and know they can find a problem. If the race isnt the problem, theres only one other bearing that possible could. And thats the mainshaft bearing between the mainshaft and the input shaft. Supposedly the dealer says they replaced that?? The input shaft has a zero tolerance when installed, and if theres any wiggle at all, its gonna make noise. The only way to know is to tear it apart yourself, and if its screwed, take it back to the dealer and shove it up their a$$ for not doing the warranty work they said they did. Wont be the first time I seen them screw it up. Had one dealer put the rings in upside down while doing a big bore upgrade. I didnt think that was possible, but they proved me wrong.
I believe I must of been on the tail end of the production line here, my streetbob has a june (or was it july) stamped on the bike of 2006, and when I tore it apart it did have doweled cases, but it also had the rotor with 8 bolts in it. I changed the primary bearing and seal just because but mainly junked that rotor with 8 bolts to get the upgraded, welded rotor and stator.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine's April 06, be interesting to see if it has pins.

Quick Reply: IPB-How do you know it's shot? (Sorry long read)