Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Flush Mount LED Fuel Guage

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HD Flush Mount LED Fuel Guage

Hi Guys - been a while since I've been here. But anyone had problems with this unit. Mine have never worked right from the get go in Jan this year, in as much as the LED display has not even roughly indicated how much gas there is left in the tank other than when its topped off.

This last weekend some of the LEDs just stopped working, and then when I switched the bike off and on again later they decided to work again. I called my Stealership who have ordered me a replcement unit under warrenty, but I rather think it sounds like a more fundermental wiring / electrical problem.

The speedo fuel empty idiot light comes on fine and dandy at around 125 miles leaving around 15 to 20 miles left in the gas tank (although it maybe more as I not had the ***** to run it dry).

So far the Stealership have tried playing with the sender float, that didn't work and made the speedo idiot light come on at around 80 odd miles and broke it. They replaced the fuel float and sender unit and fixed that, but not the fuel guage LED lights anywhere near indicating even what gas is roughly left in the tank.

Experiances / thoughts etc. muchly appreciated........

Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of problems with the Harley LED gauges. Mine only works some of the time so I just go by mileage.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Mole Rat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them and the only good the lights do is look nice.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

First one I had crapped out after the first rain. Had all the symptoms yours did.

Replaced it and the second one was trouble free.

There is a known issue with an older production run of them and your dealer is aware of it (even if he says he's not)

Just replace it and hope you get a newer one.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Big O Fat Bob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not too many problems with mine yet...4000 kms since the kit installed and the only thing I find is that I go from 6 lights to 4 lights fairly quick but from there on it is pretty accurate. Still keep track of my kms though just to be safe!!

Old 09-15-2009, 12:19 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts
Default Instructions sheet

Originally Posted by Gaffy52
...Experiances / thoughts etc. muchly appreciated........
Click to go to the Instructions sheet database for this item (p/n 62818-06C)

Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm on my 3rd set of flush mounts. All covered under warranty thank god. So far, this replacement set have worked all year long and the gas cap pop up has remained flush when closed. I love the look it gives the bike..... but I dont trust the lights at all.
I reset the odometer readings at every fill up.....and check it often. I keep meticulous log of each fill up, # of miles ridden and gallons used. That gives me a basis to average out how far I can expect to get out of a tank. I installed new pipes, ac and pcIII plus I had them richen up the fuel/air mixture. I felt the factory just had it leaned out too much ( EPA mandates) and the engine was running way too hot. So this year, I find I went from an average of 47 to 42mpg.....riding an average of 62mph on secondary country roads. So when the odometer reads 150, I start looking for fuel.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:15 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has been problematic since I got the bike. It works normally about 50% of the time. Most common failure mode is when I'll lose the low-order LED and the center gas pump LED icon at the same time. Magically, they'll just re-appear with no rhyme/reason to their comings/goings.

When it's working normally, I can expect the following LED drop-out distances from a topped-off tank of gas....
1st LED drops off around 30 miles on the tripmeter
2nd LED drops off around 45
3rd LED drops off around 75
4th LED drops off around 110
5th LED drops off around 165
6th LED drops off around 190 (low fuel on speedo lites within a mile or two after this)

Mine's not very linear, but is pretty repeatable.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

3 freinds of mine have them all 3 have had problems one guy is on his third set Seems hd has issues with these I hear Kury one works much better

Old 09-16-2009, 11:34 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PKellyMC......man, I've got to say you're one brave soul.
I'm with you as far as mileage after the 5th light drops off at about 165mi on the trip meter......but that's as far as I've EVER gone. Usually when the last 2 lights on the left are showing, I'm looking for fuel.

When you live and ride in rural areas like we do, gas stations ( let alone those that carry high test) are few and far between. When I'm down to 1 light on the left plus the center ones illuminated, I've got around a gallon left in the tank....or.... other words I've got another 35-45 miles max before she's dry, and with Fuel Injection as you know, there isnt any reserve to flip the switch over to.
Anyway, the last set I had, the lights would go out, come on, show 1 light after I just filled up.....or all the lights but the middle one would be llluminated. Strange........
So I NEVER trust what the lights say. I put my trust in my trip meter.

Quick Reply: HD Flush Mount LED Fuel Guage