Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What kind of fuel is everyone running?
Regular
3.18%
Mid-Grade
3.18%
High Test
93.63%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of fuel is everyone running?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009 | 07:40 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Thumbs up High Octane

Sunoco 93

Old 09-15-2009 | 07:43 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

The kind that goes in the tank . Really though, why try to save a buck per fill up when you bought one of the most expensive brands of bikes on the market!

Old 09-15-2009 | 07:46 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by paul s
I'm sold on B&M Trick Shift. 93 on the gas.
+1, my thoughts exactly

Old 09-15-2009 | 09:09 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by Vinsil
No, it is a chain drive and you should use regular motor oil in it (not ATF, or heavy weight tranmission/gear differential lube in the primary.)
Yeah, aren't all HD's chain drive primary? When I recently went to purchase fluids for changing...they gave me 1 qt tranny fluid for the tranny...and one
quart tranny fluid for the primary...3 quarts oil for oil change.

Not debating or trying to start a debate but...I'm 99% sure I read in the SM that for the primary you use tranny fluid.

Old 09-15-2009 | 12:22 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

91 here in socal thats what i run......

Old 09-15-2009 | 01:07 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Vinsil
No, it is a chain drive and you should use regular motor oil in it (not ATF, or heavy weight tranmission/gear differential lube in the primary.)
Many people use ATF in primary for good reason with good results.

Old 09-15-2009 | 11:00 PM
SeaHag
Road Master

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Yeah, aren't all HD's chain drive primary? When I recently went to purchase fluids for changing...they gave me 1 qt tranny fluid for the tranny...and one
quart tranny fluid for the primary...3 quarts oil for oil change.

Not debating or trying to start a debate but...I'm 99% sure I read in the SM that for the primary you use tranny fluid.

That must be because you are buying HD's tranny/primary blend. I've always felt that one of the nicest things about having three seperate compartments for lubrication, means we can choose which ever lube we feel will do the job best in each area. For me that means, heavy gear lube in the transmission, ATF in the primary, and a good quality synthetic motor oil in the crankcase.

Old 09-16-2009 | 01:40 AM
fastkevin
Tourer

This just reminded me of something. Buena Park PD(the arm pit of the southland) recently switched to HD's, and immediately started experiencing FI probs. The local dealer asked one of the officers if they were in fact using 91 oct, to which the officer responded that they're using whatever the city yard has in their tank. IIRC, the dealer threatened to kill the warranty on their bikes unless they committed to using 91.
Someone at the dealer told them it was to blame for all the off idle stumbling and even the stalls they were experiencing(a service writer at the same dealer asked me if my XR was a Kawasaki)
In any event, they switched to Honda's shortly thereafter. Don't know if that was the cause or part of it...

Old 09-20-2009 | 05:56 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

Well thanks to this thread i gassed up with 89 octane instead of 91 just to find out how it would go. I didn't notice any big changes for about 50 miles,then realized she was running- well my best description would be...a little muffled. That's power-wise heeheehee not sound! So at that point I take a look at the trip meter and zonXX half the tank was almost gone,and we all know the top half is bigger than the bottom. So i save maybe 1.25$ on the fill-up but the gas was gone a whopping twice as fast. At 1/4 tank I refilled with high octane,it got better, and the next tank should be even better so my advice= stick to the higher octane gas. I think i shall even try the 94 for a couple tanks to try that out,but I hear it is a waste with only a stage 1 installed.

Old 09-20-2009 | 06:08 AM
prodrag1320
Banned

98% nitromethane
kirby
veetwin racing

Quick Reply: What kind of fuel is everyone running?