Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD bike ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:03 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can't get a SG or a SG custom with black engine. You could get a lowrider, streetbob, or fatbob if you must have black. Shocks are interchangeable with aftermarket models and sizes without too much additional cost. The mid pegs are in the same place on all dynas unless its a model that doesn't come with mid pegs. Mid pegs can still be installed on those in the same location as the others but the cost is fairly high on that. It's easier to take a mid control bike to forwards and back even than it is to take a forward control stock dyna and put mids on it. You can modify the single front brake models to dual brakes but I'm not familiar with the cost or effort. Based on your description, I would say a fatbob would be the best initial fit and then modify to taste from there.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:20 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
You can't get a SG or a SG custom with black engine. You could get a lowrider, streetbob, or fatbob if you must have black.
The 010 FXDC has a Black motor.

rauchman
I doubt you'll find a bike exactly the way you want it. For dual front brakes, you're limited to a Fatbob, or spending big bucks to mod something else. Since you dont like tank mounted speedos, its either a Superglide, or a Sporty. The 70+ vibes previously stated on the Sporty are a real issue if you spend any time out on the open road. Drives me nuts when I ride the ol ladys.

I opted for the FXD because it had the coolest gas cap of all the HD's. The Black motor was fixed in a couple of hours with a can of bbq paint. The rest was fixed with a ton of creativity and a dremel. Hence a FXD with an identity crisis. As far as sportability, if you're good you might keep up with me. Might.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:27 PM
ciso
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are coming from an SV 1000, then the only HD that you are going to find that will compare for handling would be the V Rod. I have yet to ridden V Rod but will be trying soon. My last bikes in order have been HS Project Bandit(Dale Walkers own), 3 1200 Bandits, 1250 Bandit, 2 Sv 's, GSXR 750, and still have my Busa.
The Dyna's do well and I can still give my son's that ride SV 650's a good ride in the twisties, but it does not do as well as the SV 1000's.
Go for the demo days and ride them all and then decide what it is you are really looking for, get an HD and keep you SV too.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:43 PM
AFONE
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I came from a Triumph Speed Triple to the Fat Bob. Give up on finding a Harley that shacks a stick at the performance that you had with your SV. That being said, the Fat Bob is surprisingly capable in terms of handling. You're not going to do any knee dragging with it but it's holds corners well.

(V-rod might not be a bad choice either. I was impressed with the engine when I rode it.)

Old 09-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Portugoose
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AFONE
I came from a Triumph Speed Triple to the Fat Bob. Give up on finding a Harley that shacks a stick at the performance that you had with your SV. That being said, the Fat Bob is surprisingly capable in terms of handling. You're not going to do any knee dragging with it but it's holds corners well.

(V-rod might not be a bad choice either. I was impressed with the engine when I rode it.)
How did you like that Speed Triple?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:11 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like your best bet would be the Fatbob and do a tank swap with a SG if want the Speedo on the bars.

You could probally easily do that for free since lots of guys with SG would like to have a tank mounted Speedo. If lived close I would do a swap with you even though I like my bar set-up.

If want a bar mounted speedo but like T-Bars my set-up I put on my SG is nice. It keeps the speedo in front of you, adds a tach and yoyu get the handling of T-Bars.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,735 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck
Sounds like your best bet would be the Fatbob and do a tank swap with a SG if want the Speedo on the bars.

You could probally easily do that for free since lots of guys with SG would like to have a tank mounted Speedo. If lived close I would do a swap with you even though I like my bar set-up.

If want a bar mounted speedo but like T-Bars my set-up I put on my SG is nice. It keeps the speedo in front of you, adds a tach and yoyu get the handling of T-Bars.
That sir, is a beautiful bike!!! That handlebar setup rocks!!! I notice there is a lot chrome on your bike than a typical SG. Is that an accessory package? If so, is black available?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:48 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
That sir, is a beautiful bike!!! That handlebar setup rocks!!! I notice there is a lot of chrome on your bike. Is that an accessory package. If so, is black available?
I bought and put on the Chrome Motor Package, I dont think you can buy the package in black but you can buy all the covers in black by them self.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,735 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by ciso
If you are coming from an SV 1000, then the only HD that you are going to find that will compare for handling would be the V Rod. I have yet to ridden V Rod but will be trying soon. My last bikes in order have been HS Project Bandit(Dale Walkers own), 3 1200 Bandits, 1250 Bandit, 2 Sv 's, GSXR 750, and still have my Busa.
The Dyna's do well and I can still give my son's that ride SV 650's a good ride in the twisties, but it does not do as well as the SV 1000's.
Go for the demo days and ride them all and then decide what it is you are really looking for, get an HD and keep you SV too.
Gotta say, I LOVE the SV1K engine. It does make nice power. Have no desire for additional power over stock. Really, the problem I have w/ the SV is comfort. I've already added Convertibars and a Seargent seat, but it's just not working. When I had my Roadstar, I could ride forever with the T bars and stock seat. With the SV, after 100 miles or so, I'm squirming.

My buddy has got a 2003 V-Rod. Nice bike, but can't say I'm a fan of the handling and it's really stretched out. Not a fan of the waaaaayyyyyy out there feet forward position.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck
If lived close I would do a swap with you even though I like my bar set-up.

Please don't even think about doing that. The lines of your bike are so clean with that tank, bar/gauge setup, and seat. The wide tank would not look nearly as good IYAM.

Quick Reply: HD bike ?'s