Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Life

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Kind of unusual for the front tire to last longer than the rear isn't it?
The rear on my Fat Bob needed to be replaced at 10K, but the front is still good.
I think you meant that it is unusual for the rear tire to last longer.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:01 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had my rear replaced Friday @ 7800 miles. Love the bike to death, just wish they wouldn't have put such junk on them for tires. I would get 11-12K on my honda, which wasn't a whole lot lighter, and my driving habits haven't changed. The rental dude told me at the dealer ship "we don't get much out of the 07's tires, but the replacements are better". I guess we will see. If the 2nd needs replacement @ 7500 again, adios' dunlop.....

I do realize the need for soft compunds to keep us safe, but c'mon, lets put more than 5/32nd's on em to begin with. Especially given the $200 price tag @ the dealership.

Just happen to spot this post, and had to gripe, as it is the only true complaint I have about the bike.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:17 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It is always weird to me to see the big variance in tire life people get with the same tires.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:22 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I got 11,500 out of my stock rear tire and could of went longer but wanted to replace before it got bad.

Currently have 15k on the stock front and its going to need replaced here soon.

SE 180 I put on the back has 3500 on it so far and only looks a little wore so far.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:28 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
I think you meant that it is unusual for the rear tire to last longer.
Yep, you are correct. That's what happens when I type before thinking.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Acrux
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess its all in your style of riding. I didn't think I rode mine too terribly hard but I only got 8000 on my rear and by then it was overdue. I only ever did one burnout but that was on my rocket and when I had to put a new tire on it right away I decided it wasn't for me! I couldn't imagine getting 10 or 12k on that rear tire. I think I've got about 10500 on the front now and it still looks ok.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:06 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VTL nut
I just had my rear replaced Friday @ 7800 miles. Love the bike to death, just wish they wouldn't have put such junk on them for tires. I would get 11-12K on my honda, which wasn't a whole lot lighter, and my driving habits haven't changed. The rental dude told me at the dealer ship "we don't get much out of the 07's tires, but the replacements are better". I guess we will see. If the 2nd needs replacement @ 7500 again, adios' dunlop....
I got 4K less miles out of my replacement Dunlop K591. I went with the Pirelli Night Dragons and they work really well. I have about 4K on them now and the rear is barely worn or squared off. I will say the front is wearing at about the same rate as the rear so it will most likely need to be replace at the same time as the rear, but I don't mind as these tires hold in the corners and the only thing I seem to worry about is dragging hard parts! I have come to the conclusion that great handling tires not only out weigh the mileage concern but increase the fun factor!

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
It is always weird to me to see the big variance in tire life people get with the same tires.
Rider weight and air pressure are what I believe causes these variances.
CB

Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 PM
russell6hp
Tourer
Default Tire Life...PART 2!

"I got 4K less miles out of my replacement Dunlop K591. I went with the Pirelli Night Dragons"

Thanks for the input. Guess I'm not doing that bad after all.

The consensus seems to be that the stock Dunlops aren't the best thing out there. So what would be a better replacement? I'm not necessarily looking for high performance since I ride like my grandpa, but I would like to stretch my dollar and miles as much as I can.

Stuck this in a new thread cause well...it is a different topic. I realize the last post didn't have any pics, so here is a little something:

Old 09-07-2009, 05:11 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i drive like a bat out of h**l and do better than 4k

Old 09-07-2009, 05:14 PM
RCB
Road Warrior

STAY out of the BURNOUT pits.

Quick Reply: Tire Life