Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Forward Control Post

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Forward Control Post

My 300mi run yesterday proved the point that I must purchase forward controls. I was uncomfortable. I could go highway pegs, but, ultimately I want forwards so why put it off. That being said...

After reviewing the posts on both here and V-Twin, I'm still a little confused on which Forward Controls I need to get for my 06 Bob. I want to do the self-install that alot of you have done where you bypassed removing the primary, leaving the original lever on the primary case. I couldn't tell if the 06 parts would work, or just the 05 and prior, or both. Will Wide Glide forwards fit? Are there extra doodads I need to pick up to finish the job on any of these?

I will be browsing eBay for them so knowing the right setup is crucial for me.

If you have the time, thanks for responding. I'm sorry for rehashing this again, but, I couldn't get definitive answers from researching.

Whiff

Old 06-12-2006, 07:15 PM
BlueShift
Road Master
Default RE: Yet Another Forward Control Post

I'm 6'2" and they were a must. When I initially went to the dealership they sat me on a wide glide just to prove to me that mid controls would not work for a tall rider.
The HD cat # that I had installed is 49080-06. $325 + labor.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:21 PM
superdog48
Tourer

I have an '04 FXD that I installed the forward controls that was bought at the dealer. It was very sinple to do. Then I bought an '06 FXDCI, my wife statred riding the '04, so I removed the forwards from the '04 and installed it on the '06. The only thing I had to do was buy the shift rod for the '06 because it is longer. Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:07 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to HD's site and look for forward kits for the Dyna you will have 2 options..1. Kit # 49080-03 for '03 thru '05 and 2. #49080-06 for the new Dynas ..
In the parts list between the 2 kits , the only differance is a taller shifter and a taller tranny arm,, plus the gaskets on the 06, and the chrome cap on the 03.. Either kit will work.. you might be better off paying the extras for the 06 kit and just save the gaskets till later if you ever have to open it up.... the older kit works great on my bike..
Here is a link to a earlier disscusion on this,, it has some photos of my set-up,, Ive since moved the floorboards back a lot.. but you'll get the idea...
https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=290199

Old 06-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Krusty
Intermediate

The controls HD offers were easy to install. The B!*th was taking out the old shift lever. I carefully used a hacksaw blade and cut it off from the backside. If ya do cut it this way prepare for a long tedious boring proccess so ya don't screw anything up. By the way I left the original rear tranny shifter in place instead of putting the new one on. Works fine as far as I'm concerned...

Old 06-12-2006, 08:22 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WHiff, Consider get the factory HD '05 kit and bypass the drama of removing the inner primary which is a pain in the ***. I went with Kuryakyn forwards for the beefy forward and chome which work well on my 35th glide. Putting on forwards is an hour job.

Personally, I like mid controls especially on the Brit bikes I've owned but I've never run mids on a HD. On my 'glide, I liked 'em in town but on the highway, the wind spread my legs out and fatigued my inner thigh muscles to the point where I couldn't pull my legs tight to the tank.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

If doing it the "cheater way", it looks like the 05 and earlier would be the best bet. Everything fits, it comes with a chrome cover for the old shifter location and [if I saw this correctly in the picture] it looks like there's even something to bolt the old lever down with. The 06 would allow a "proper" install if the primary ever comes off, however, until that primary comes off I'm left with nothing to cover the old shifter location and nothing to bolt that old lever down with. I'd be out a few more bucks as well.

Am I missing anything here? Am I way off?

Whiff

Old 06-13-2006, 11:24 AM
jt1965
Road Captain

I installed the '06 on my lowrider. It was not to difficult with the help of the service manual. 4 hours taking my time. However it does not include everything you need. You also have to replace the 5 seal bolts that hold the inner primary to the case. Part #786a. And you need a quart of primary oil. The '06 kit is the wide glide chrome forward control kit. Also if you opt for the '05 kit the cap is chrome as is the plug in the '06 kit. You may want to use a piece of painted black pipe if you install the kit without removing the shaft.

And several people have just bent the old shifter bhind the primary and wedged it on the case.

JT

Old 06-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Whiff

Old 06-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

I found the 06 Kit for $270 out the door and shipped from Chicago Harley. Beats anything on eBay and Zanottis. If it works with the stock, rear tranny lever or, if the rear tranny lever is easily replaceable with the longer 06 lever, I think I'm going to just go ahead and get the 06 Kit. As you guys said, I'll be set up for the full and proper install should the primary ever need to come off. Thanks again for your help.

Whiff

Quick Reply: Yet Another Forward Control Post