Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Forward Control Post

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 04:18 PM
jt1965
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yet Another Forward Control Post

That is a good price. Good Luck.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:09 PM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you gonna do that job yourself whiff?

Old 06-13-2006, 06:16 PM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain

i have seem bikes where people did not remove the old shift lever. JMO it looks half a$$/ unfinished. i payed to have mine done from the dealer when i bought the bike it was just under 700 buxs installed parts and labor .. parts where listed at 486 buxs that included a new heat sheild that does not have the bent/cutout for the mid controls . money well spent i thought

Old 06-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

I don't have the money to buy it and pay for installation. So, it's on me to install it. Given that, I'm not about to take the primary off. Gotta go the short route for now.

The forwards are more important to me than the aesthetics of having a small lever behind the primary. I can figure something out eventually to ease the eye sore. Quite honestly, had I not followed the old threads very closely, I wouldn't have known one was done one way or the other.

Whiff

Old 06-13-2006, 06:59 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You got the right idea...get those forwards on the bike, enjoy 'em and then maybe circle back and remove that mid control shaft. The mid shaft cover 'aint that bad.

It takes me 4-6 hours to do an inner primary and for a job like this it's just overkill. But I will eventually do it one day, slap on a wideglide outer primary and do it right. Just not THIS weekend...

Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whiff, I took the easy way out also. I bought the '06 kit and made it work. The old shifter arm can slide all the way until its flush w/ the front of the primary cover then you can force it forward and wedge it behind one of the bolt heads coming out of the back of the crankcase. You must realize this is not the proper method, but I have riden over 1500 miles since my install w/ no problems and save $300 by doing it myself. I wouldn't let my dealer work on my bike if it were free. Here is a pic I took after I did the install, it only shows the old shifter sitting flush w/ the primary cover (I colored it black w/ a paint marker). I have a better camera now I'll try to get a pic. of the shifter wedged behind the crank bolt. I left my mids. so I can have a change of position. I cut about 2" off the lengh, that helps keep them out of the way at stop and go.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:35 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, please post that pic. Nice and clever with the mid arm really hidden and the mid shaft flush. Nice 'n clean and looks just as good as if you removed the mid shaft and put in that plug. Much nicer then that wedge thingy and shaft cap I got.

As soon as u post that pic, I'm going out to the garage to do this myself.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

Hogrida,

Nevermind what I originally had posted here. I see now what you're talking about with the paint pen.

Whiff

Old 06-13-2006, 10:10 PM
sintax
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well while I didn't do the install myself, I got my forward controls put on my new bobber today. All I can say is THANK GOD! I have only had it since Saturday but those mid controls were killing my legs. Now I can stretch out and get a more comfortable ride.

The stock pegs that come with the forwards (I think they are the same from the mids and they just move them up) are horrible. The are almost squishy under my boots so I will try and get ride of them tomorrow if I can sneak them on my bike without my spouse noticing.

Does anyone else hide their accessory boxes in the neighbors trash to get rid of the evidence... or is that just me?

Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope these help, it's not an easy thing to get a pic of. I hit the shift arm with a paint maker also, it looks pretty ghetto but you can't see it unless you get on your knees.

I'm having photo problems, please stand by.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Forward Control Post