Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I Destroy My Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:53 AM
RodT
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I Destroy My Engine?

I just put a set of Straight Shot Slip Ons, Vance and Hines on my stock 2009 Street Bob. I want to go to the Fuel Pak, but am a bit short on cash. Can the bike be riden without damaging the engine? How long can ou get away riding this way? It seems to run fine. No issues. But I do recal a friend on an EFI 2008 with the same engine doing the same thing and you could always smell the exhaust strongly, on his bike until he went to the fuel pak.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're keeping the aircleaner stock and just s/o's for now, then you will be fine

Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealer put my slipons on for me, and that's all I've done for it. so, if it blows, it's their problem, (still under warranty). I haven't noticed anything negative since I put them on except a little better get up and go, and of course sound

Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not gonna blow up on you. Damage, if any, would be over the long term. You may be okay without anything. But, keep in mind, when you go to buy the fuelpak, you'll need to buy a stage 1 air cleaner as well. All of the codes for the fuelpak are developed using a stage 1 air cleaner so it's not compatible with the stock ac.

I was running SE II slipons without anything else before I went to the straightshots. When I did, I noticed I was getting some decel popping. The straightshots are more open than many other slipons. Thats when I decided to go ahead and add the fuelpak and air cleaner. So, when I went to the big radius, I already had everything else I needed.

Last edited by 2007fxdc; 09-04-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:00 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kromdom
if you're keeping the aircleaner stock and just s/o's for now, then you will be fine

+1 - should be no problem. Lots of guys run pipes and a stage 1 A/C with no fuel management...if it's an 08 or newer its supposed to be able to adjust to minor changes like that all by itself.....

Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Darth Dyna
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be fine; in fact, you don't even need a Fuel-Pak or HD's stage one download. As long as you're not changing your head pipes, the O2 sensors will take care of fuel management, no problem.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Jonn2002
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get tons of advise and suggestions on this topic that will vary from OMG..ur about to blow up .... to bolt it and ride it.

What you can do is to look at your plugs every so often. If they are turning white, it is burning too hot and you should get the Stage 1 upgrade sooner than later.

The popping (as I have been taught) is due to the stock airfilter being sucked in is all.

Once you buy a Stg 1 cleaner (about a $120.00 on ebay for a Ness Sucker) you have options ranging from a dealer flash ($150.00 or so) to a race tuner ($400.00 ish) And again there is tons of advise on this topic as well.

Good Luck, ride hard

Old 09-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Jonn....The "Ness sucker"...is it just a air filter or is there more too it?

If it's just an air filter would a K and N do the same thing?

Lastly can I keep the stock Air cleaner cover?

Back in the day I had an S and S Super E but now adays with this bike 09 Glide I'd like to keep the stock cover.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:47 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
Jonn....The "Ness sucker"...is it just a air filter or is there more too it?

If it's just an air filter would a K and N do the same thing?

Lastly can I keep the stock Air cleaner cover?

Back in the day I had an S and S Super E but now adays with this bike 09 Glide I'd like to keep the stock cover.
the Ness Big Sucker is a kit that comes with a higher flowing filter and a different back mounting plate.....the mounting plate is designed to flow more air than the stock one as well....the stock plate is very restrictive as is the stock filter - you need to change them both......an even cheaper way to go is to just buy the SE stage 1 breather plate, and a K&N (or similar) filter separately and buy (or reuse your stock) a different cover.....you can also run it open if you want....Total cost for this mod is about $35 for the plate, $35 for the filter and whatever you want to spend on the cover......

Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Jonn2002
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRF
the Ness Big Sucker is a kit that comes with a higher flowing filter and a different back mounting plate.....the mounting plate is designed to flow more air than the stock one as well....the stock plate is very restrictive as is the stock filter - you need to change them both......an even cheaper way to go is to just buy the SE stage 1 breather plate, and a K&N (or similar) filter separately and buy (or reuse your stock) a different cover.....you can also run it open if you want....Total cost for this mod is about $35 for the plate, $35 for the filter and whatever you want to spend on the cover......
Second it.

Quick Reply: Will I Destroy My Engine?