Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire alignment after new tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Ky Windage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tire alignment after new tire

Ok, I removed my rear wheel and just had the dealer mount my new tire.
I got it put back on the bike tonight.

The question is the alignment. The service manual says you should have it to within 1/32".
The problem I have is, when I got it lined up using the swingarm holes and a piece of wire, the drive belt was not tracking correctly.
I was spinning the tire while it was on the jack. Kept going to one side.

I played around with it to where it tracks properly, but now the alignment is out a good 1/8".

So, has anyone else had that?
I would think the proper belt tracking is more important.
What do you all say.

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:29 PM
steveoh62
Cruiser

I just did the same thing to my bike. I changed the rear tire myself. However, when I remounted it, everything was fine including alignment.

What do mean the belt wasn't tracking properly?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Ky Windage
Cruiser

It moves to one side.

For testing...
If you push the belt sideways while turning it on the jack, to get it to ride to one side of the pulley, you should have about an 1/8" gap on the other side.

Once you have it there, start spinning the wheel to see if the belt starts moving (tracking) back to the other side of the pulley. If it does, it's not straight.

In my opionion, when it's straight, it will stay where you push it when setting up a test, an spin.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:22 AM
04fxdwgi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ky Windage
Ok, I removed my rear wheel and just had the dealer mount my new tire.
I got it put back on the bike tonight.

The question is the alignment. The service manual says you should have it to within 1/32".
The problem I have is, when I got it lined up using the swingarm holes and a piece of wire, the drive belt was not tracking correctly.
I was spinning the tire while it was on the jack. Kept going to one side.

I played around with it to where it tracks properly, but now the alignment is out a good 1/8".

So, has anyone else had that?
I would think the proper belt tracking is more important.
What do you all say.

Thanks.
Don't have an answer for ya. When I did mine, tracking was right on the money and both side adjusters were dead nuts even. Perhaps engine alignment to frame may be "skewed" a bit. Have you done the engine alignment proceedure as spelled out in the manual?

Old 09-04-2009, 08:57 AM
duffy1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tracking

The dealers have a rack they put the bike on, but i do my own work as well, as for tracking use a flourescent light and a measuring tape against the straight front wheel and you will get it within the tolerance of 1/32''

Old 09-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my perspective (for whatever you think that is worth) there are two ways to align the rear wheel.

The first is to align it to the tracking of the belt, like you are doing. That should ensure the wheel (as long as the drive pulley and the wheel are aligned) tracks with the drive belt/transmission.

If the transmission is not true in the frame, then the wheel may be off in alignment to the front wheel. There are a number of ways to check alignment of the two wheels such as mentioned above or using a string or straight edge to compare the two wheels.

Ideally, the rear wheel will be in alignment both ways. If not, you have a choice to pick a compromised setting of the rear wheel or keep looking for which part is out of alignment to the other.

Oh, the marks on the frame to align the rear axle should be even to each other but that doesn't mean they are. Aligning the drive belt so it tracks evenly and aligning the rear wheel to the front is probably a better approach than trusting the marks.

Your opinion may vary...

Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Ky Windage
Cruiser

Well, I hadn't trued up the engine to the frame. I didn't think that would be necessary since none of that had been loosened up. I guess it happens though.

I also don't have the "axle plugs" listed in the manual, dealer won't sell them.
I had to us alternative methods. Wish I still had access to a machine shop, I'd make my own plugs. Hell, I'd pay a few bucks if someone would make them.
You'd think HD would have a better method to align the rear wheel than what they have... kinda cheesy if ya ask me.

Anyhow, I'll double check things tonight. I just want to be able to ride this weekend.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:43 PM
big block
Cruiser

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.If the rear tire is in line that should be paramount over the belt moving side to side.Even if the belt does stay in the middle,It wont be when you're riding.
Big Block

Old 09-04-2009, 06:05 PM
jcmusic
Tourer

When I changed my rims I adjusted both sides to get the proper belt tension. I was told by the HD service dept. to ride it down the road take my hands off the the bars and see if it goes straight. I did it does I have not worried about it anymore.

Jay

Old 09-06-2009, 06:56 AM
09DynaMan
Banned

Originally Posted by big block
I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.If the rear tire is in line that should be paramount over the belt moving side to side.Even if the belt does stay in the middle,It wont be when you're riding.
Big Block

correct to my thinking and experience
the tyres must be in line, that is essential
the belt will always track towards the trans when you turn the rear wheel, and towards the pri wheel the pulley is driving
but it wont go all the way to the pri, there will most likely be a 1/8 gap
from the outer flange to where the belt will run happily

Quick Reply: Rear tire alignment after new tire