Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Short Shots Backfiring (anyone ever resolve?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V&H Short Shots Backfiring (anyone ever resolve?)

While not as prevalent on my bike as I have heard on others, I do have an unresolved backfiring issue with my V&H Short Shots paired with a Fuel Pack on my '09 FXDB. I got the FP because I figured since V&H makes the pipes, their fuel management hardware/software would be most suitable and least problematic. Well, I was wrong. I already tried the V&H recommended setting change (setting #23 from 15 to 16 or visa versa), and that just made it worse, so I went back to the original setting. Anyone with the same motor/pipe/fuel pack combination have a similar issue and find a solution? If so, what was it?

....also, not sure if this is part of the same issue, but has anyone had starting issues with this setup and are they normal? My issue is not that the bike won't start, but just does not seem to start up smoothly. This is most noticeable after restarting a warm bike. Doesn't start right up for 2 or so seconds, then there is a pop as it starts (mini backfire?), and a small amount of black smoke from the tailpipe. Normal? Fuel Pack issue? My first fuel injected bike and also my first V-Twin, so forgive the silly question. My inline carbeurated bike that is 15 years old, starts so much smoother, which seems odd to me though..

Old 09-02-2009, 08:39 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have Short Shots, SE A/C but I have a Power Commander. I have tuned out almost all of the popping but I still occasionally get some pops on decel. I never have troubles with start up however.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
I have Short Shots, SE A/C but I have a Power Commander. I have tuned out almost all of the popping but I still occasionally get some pops on decel. I never have troubles with start up however.
Thanks for the response, but I mean other than by replacing the fuel management system. I wanted to keep the FP, but fix the backfiring issue. And the starting issue, if part of the same..

Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you gave V&H a call? I have read where some others did and they helped them.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Have you gave V&H a call? I have read where some others did and they helped them.
Yeah. They gave me that setting change recommendation (setting #23).

Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you made sure you didnt screw an exhaust gasket during the install? That seems to be a bigger problem than fueling issues.
Also, if the exhaust is the only mod you've done, try removing the fuelpak and let the stock computer do its thing.
If the popping goes away by removing the fuelpak, then thats where the problem is. If its still backfiring, you pooched the gaskets.
Thats the easiest way I know of to keep from driving yourself crazy

Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Have you made sure you didnt screw an exhaust gasket during the install? That seems to be a bigger problem than fueling issues.
Also, if the exhaust is the only mod you've done, try removing the fuelpak and let the stock computer do its thing.
If the popping goes away by removing the fuelpak, then thats where the problem is. If its still backfiring, you pooched the gaskets.
I guess I'll have to bring it in to the dealer for them to have a look then. They did the install. I also put an SE high flow air cleaner on, or rather, the dealer did.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Oldman - New Iron
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
I bought & installed some straight shots yesterday, asked about retune & was told not needed , only if you up grade intake. I don't know about you but my straight shots seem loud, Like em though.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 PM
AFHuey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the "quiet" baffles in mine and it decel popped like a SOB! It also would backfire on warm starts like yours. I just recently changed out to the "loud" baffles. After reprogramming to the new settings for the "loud" baffles, the popping was greatly reduced and the backfires have disappeared. I have the V&H FuelPak as well. I checked my gaskets...so that's not it. It's just the nature of the short shots and cold air sucking back into the exhaust. Personally speaking, I can tolerate the pop and it won't hurt the bike if the settings and gaskets are good.

If you can live with it...live with it.

I don't think that anything will resolve it.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

Well...I've run these pipes on my last 4 bikes now...and no popping at all. I don't use the FuelPak as I know of too many people having issues with it. I have always used the SERT and never have had a problem. Yes it's a little bit more money, but well worth it and the bike performs a lot better. No starting or popping issues at all.

Quick Reply: V&H Short Shots Backfiring (anyone ever resolve?)