Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Short Shots Backfiring (anyone ever resolve?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:48 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run these pipes wide open with no problems...

Old 09-04-2009, 01:53 PM
thomaskray
Road Master

Originally Posted by davidsdad
I run these pipes wide open with no problems...
I'd love to hear that.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:55 PM
mark0763
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed that my backfires go away quite a bit right after a fresh cleaning of my airfilter once it starts back firing more i jsut give it a real good clean and oil even if the filter looks pretty decent still

Old 09-04-2009, 06:28 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by thomaskray
I'd love to hear that.
It sounds bad azz especially when running hard and speed shifting...

Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Been through all of that already. Settings all correct, re calibrated and reverified the throttle settings. Just seems like something is wrong that I cannot get rid of this popping. Will have it in to the dealer this week. Unfortunate that the worst option for V&H pipes if actually made by them. Would think the reverse. May pull it out if there is no fix and go with a diff fuel manager.

Anyone try BCT baffles and have any luck? Just curious...

Originally Posted by phatman
I have the same setup as you. 09 Street Bob shortshots with quiet baffles, ness bigsucker, and fuel pak. I have some popping but most of it is from how I ride. With version 12 software you must completely roll out of the throttle when changing gears or decelerating. Mine seems to have gotten better with time. I'm not sure if that's me getting used to it or if it's my bike adjusting somehow. I'm not a pro on fuel management systems so the previous may be a dumb statement.

FWIW - I went to V&H website and used their recommended settings. You may want to check this because they use 2 different "maps" quiet baffles and standard baffles for our setups. Maybe the dealer put in the wrong settings??

Edit: Another thought it to try and recalibrate your throttle settings. I did this once and it helped greatly. I think it's mode 21. Start with the throttle closed should read 0 move it all the way to full throttle smoothly and it should read 99 let it return to closed throttle smoothly.

Edit for my edit: calibration mode is 19 and you check the settings in mode 21 - 0 closed 50 around half throttle and 99 full throttle.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

BTW, can this backfiring cause any damage to the bike?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 PM
phatman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
Been through all of that already. Settings all correct, re calibrated and reverified the throttle settings. Just seems like something is wrong that I cannot get rid of this popping. Will have it in to the dealer this week. Unfortunate that the worst option for V&H pipes if actually made by them. Would think the reverse. May pull it out if there is no fix and go with a diff fuel manager.

Anyone try BCT baffles and have any luck? Just curious...
I hear ya. Some people seem to have real bad experiences with the fuel pak. Call Jamie at fuelmoto (site sponsor) for a pcv. He is supposed to have really good maps. I have emailed him and he sent a prompt response. This was the way I was going but I got to good of a deal to pass up on a fuel pak so it was worth a shot and so far I'm pleased. Good luck

Old 09-09-2009, 06:44 AM
creekhed1
Road Master

I run the std. baffles and get a bit of decel popping... tough to COMPLETELY ELIMINATE with such short pipes. Make sure your closed throttle setting is spot on as THAT is very important. Also, make sure you are not rolling on the throttle AT ALL (or not rolling ALL THE WAY OFF) with your wrist as that will cause it to B Fire.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:54 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by phatman
I hear ya. Some people seem to have real bad experiences with the fuel pak. Call Jamie at fuelmoto (site sponsor) for a pcv. He is supposed to have really good maps. I have emailed him and he sent a prompt response. This was the way I was going but I got to good of a deal to pass up on a fuel pak so it was worth a shot and so far I'm pleased. Good luck
What map did you end up using? I called and they advised me to use map: FP-1356. I believe that I had been using FP-2016. Seems a bit better, but only rode a mile or so after changing the settings. Still mild decel popping, or rather rumbling, but I think that is actually normal..

Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
phatman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
What map did you end up using? I called and they advised me to use map: FP-1356. I believe that I had been using FP-2016. Seems a bit better, but only rode a mile or so after changing the settings. Still mild decel popping, or rather rumbling, but I think that is actually normal..

I am using map:fp-0536 It's for an 09 dyna, shortshots w/ quiet baffles, high flow ac, & stock computer settings. Punch that into the fuelpak website and you'll get all the settings. I get more of a gurgling rumble on decel which sounds about what you get. Occasionally I get a backfire but it's usually when I don't roll completely off the throttle. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: V&H Short Shots Backfiring (anyone ever resolve?)