Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Short Shots Backfiring (anyone ever resolve?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Zinje
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the SS but have the Big Shots along with the Fuel Pak. I had decel backfiring but after installing the VH quiet baffles and entering the new codes it runs frickin great.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oldman - New Iron
I bought & installed some straight shots yesterday, asked about retune & was told not needed , only if you up grade intake. I don't know about you but my straight shots seem loud, Like em though.
Way too loud for me personally too. That's why I got the quiet baffles (forgot to mention that in the original post),

Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

I was also thinking about changing out to the BCT Baffles. Anyone have experience with this improving? Are the QQ louder than VH quiet baffles?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to get rid of decel pop that is related to fuel/ air management is to dyno tune it out. With fuel pak you will not be able to do it.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jason628
Greetings,

Well...I've run these pipes on my last 4 bikes now...and no popping at all. I don't use the FuelPak as I know of too many people having issues with it. I have always used the SERT and never have had a problem. Yes it's a little bit more money, but well worth it and the bike performs a lot better. No starting or popping issues at all.
Jason,
Which map are you running? Did you have it dynoed or is an unmodified map?

Old 09-03-2009, 11:41 AM
TR1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
Way too loud for me personally too. That's why I got the quiet baffles (forgot to mention that in the original post),
I just ordered some short shots yeaterday. I didn't get the quiet baffles. I'm going to see how loud it is first. Are the short shots with the quiet baffles still substantially better sounding and louder then stock exhaust?

Old 09-03-2009, 04:12 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I was going to say that the only way to guarantee no or minimum pop is via a more sophisticated system. I solved my pop by using a TTS, which is SERT like plus tuning aids. It popped pretty good without.

Although leaky gaskets or fitting are the typical culprit, there are stubborn bikes that need closed throttle enleanment and perhaps timing adjustments to get rid of the pop.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by TR1
I just ordered some short shots yeaterday. I didn't get the quiet baffles. I'm going to see how loud it is first. Are the short shots with the quiet baffles still substantially better sounding and louder then stock exhaust?
vh quiet baffles only reduce sound by 3 decibels or so, not much difference from the regular ones, anything is better sounding than stock

Old 09-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
vh quiet baffles only reduce sound by 3 decibels or so, not much difference from the regular ones, anything is better sounding than stock
I had the quiet baffles with my SS and highly recommend them.

They are not quiet as some have already said, but they deepen the tone and make it sound much better.

Stock V&H baffles sound hollow or tinny to me...the quiets make the bike sound powerful.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM
phatman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
I have the same setup as you. 09 Street Bob shortshots with quiet baffles, ness bigsucker, and fuel pak. I have some popping but most of it is from how I ride. With version 12 software you must completely roll out of the throttle when changing gears or decelerating. Mine seems to have gotten better with time. I'm not sure if that's me getting used to it or if it's my bike adjusting somehow. I'm not a pro on fuel management systems so the previous may be a dumb statement.

FWIW - I went to V&H website and used their recommended settings. You may want to check this because they use 2 different "maps" quiet baffles and standard baffles for our setups. Maybe the dealer put in the wrong settings??

Edit: Another thought it to try and recalibrate your throttle settings. I did this once and it helped greatly. I think it's mode 21. Start with the throttle closed should read 0 move it all the way to full throttle smoothly and it should read 99 let it return to closed throttle smoothly.

Edit for my edit: calibration mode is 19 and you check the settings in mode 21 - 0 closed 50 around half throttle and 99 full throttle.

Last edited by phatman; 09-03-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: V&H Short Shots Backfiring (anyone ever resolve?)