Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another One Bites The Dust (Metal I Should Say)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 AM
stbobfisher
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another One Bites The Dust (Metal I Should Say)

Well it happened on the way to work today the lovely stator came aprt i heard a noise and then the service engine light came on and the battery light came on.
I have a few questions???
The bike is 2006 with 11965 miles on it has anybody had any luck getting HD to pay for the repairs??
What should I expect to pay for the repairs if the dealer does it??
What should the parts parts cost if I was to do it?? Already have the service book>
Does anybody have a parts list with numbers so that i can get the upgraded parts so this does not happen again??
Is there anyside effects when this happens, does it cause any other problems.
Thanks for any info I have a mountain trip in 3 weeks so i have to get busy if i am gonna get it fixed and ready for that trip.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:18 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help with the actual costs. Mine broke 3 days before the warranty ran out. I'm guessing with labor and parts, it could run as high as $300-400.
I have a parts manual but it will have the part number for the stator that has already kaboomed. You need the 2007 stator part number. It contained the fix for the 2006 stator.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:22 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

parts alone are about $300.00. P/N 40356-07 is the rotor and P/N 30017-07 is the stator, + gaskets, 5 sealing fasteners for the inner primary and of course a qt of oil. You'll also need a primary locking tool to remove the primary chain and components. I imagine you can get around that one by wedging a piece of wood between the chain and sprockets. Go for it, it's not that difficult. Obviously you'll need a torque wrench to re-assemble.

Last edited by thedonthere; 08-29-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:06 AM
stbobfisher
Cruiser

that part number is for the new version of the parts i need, iam going to try it my self and it was time for a fluid change, i wonder if i should go ahead and change the inner primary bearing at the same time or is that a nother complete job
thanks for all the help

Old 08-29-2009, 11:30 AM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ide do the bearing to since its all apart anyway

Old 08-29-2009, 11:42 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SuperFastGlide
ide do the bearing to since its all apart anyway
+1 you'll be sorry if you don't do a little preventive maintenance on the IPB. Like Super said, it will be apart anyway.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:52 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

IPB is an alignment issue, not a bearing/race issue. When/if yours fails, you may be giving HD the ammo they'd need to deny [free] IPB repairs, if you've been in there on your own fixing the rotor/stator. Search out my "Finally, Good News..." thread before doing anything with your IPB. Ask your shop if your replacing the rotor/stator would nullify any future goodwill IPB repairs.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:38 AM
stbobfisher
Cruiser

well i whent and talked to the local dealer today, they took all my info, and said he would call hd on tuseday and see if the would assit in the repair since it had become a comon problem with the 06's.. they had only had one other bike come aprt like this one and they said it was under warranty so he was not sure what they would say. whish me luck .
i would just be happy if they split it or somthing like that.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:29 PM
stbobfisher
Cruiser

Well after making a couple call to Harley corp, and a couple call to local dealer they are going to cover the parts wich is about 300.00 that leaves me paying about 280.00. i would love for them to have done better but i am happy overall with how they are handling it. ( bike is 14 months out of warranty)
they said i will get the bike back next Week.

On a last note i was gonna get them to mount my new tires and they said 160.00 labor to mount my tires sounds kinda high to me??