Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can not get the grip off... i need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:45 PM
djwhaley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a needle for inflating a football with your compresser?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:41 PM
ta2ed
Advanced

Ive always used a piece of wire coat hanger. I cut the long part out then bend it into an L slide it down in there then twist, turn, pull out,then in to break up the glue. Then after I've worked it fully around the grip 360'. I GI Joe kung fu grip that bastard and twist till it starts to spin then just slide it off.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:25 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's funniy how you can obviously see in the first pic that it is an aluminum grip. But yet people still post methods you would use to remove a rubber grip. Wake up America. You might try lightly tapping all around it with a brass hammer to shock it and break loose any possible corrosion.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:42 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

keep us posted on the solution...

Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 AM
shawn e.
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try using a something softer than the aluminum like wood. Place it on the inside edge of the grip and rap it with a hammer a few times.

Shawn

Old 08-29-2009, 10:42 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

What if you take the bars off and soak them in hot water and soap!!

Old 08-29-2009, 10:58 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

the bars are wired up internally so i dont want to screw with taking them off... so here is what i did... I gave up... thats right... I gave up... I tried air comressor, heating then cooling (with duster upside down... also great for pulling dents if you ever need it) hammer... till eventually i said screw it... so. i just wanted to add a touch of gold accent to pick up on the gold flake in the powder i am using on the tins. i ended up taking off a set of switch housings a few weeks back so i stripped those and polished them, as well as my headbolt spikes, then i pulled off my forward controls, roughted them up on a new fine grit wire wheel to get rid of some of the shine... some of the parts got completely stripped and blased down so i could go all black with them... then i dusted... JUST dusted a translucent gold over the top of the still chromed parts, the rest went in the oven and got wet black... i have not got them on yet cause i want to give them at least 20 hrs to fully cure. so later today ill get them on and take some pictures, but it came out just PERFECT! just what i wanted... very vintage look to it. the dusting lets them still appear polished from some angles then others it has a gold hue to it... looks great with the black and black cherry with the little gold flake... only pic i snapped last night was with the cell, but ill get some more tonight... I LOVE THE LOOK, but if it looks like crap all put together i just have to strip and lay some black on it... done and done... i left the grips, foot pegs, spokes, muffler tips, and push rod caps chrome... thats all thats left
if this looks as nice as i had hoped together ill hit the trees in it this winter... for now... here are the parts waiting on me to get home today...

Old 08-30-2009, 03:18 AM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've removed grips by twisting them first using a strap wrench to break the glue. It usually works.

You can also use a chain oil filter wrench with some rag wrapped around the grip.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 AM
otterbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac
I've removed grips by twisting them first using a strap wrench to break the glue. It usually works.

You can also use a chain oil filter wrench with some rag wrapped around the grip.
Thats what i use to remove the stockers. Worth giving it a shot.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:30 AM
tcob
Intermediate

I found this on another site this morning. It might only work for the soft grips though.

http://www.moccsplace.com/images/grips/grips.htm

1.) Cut an 8" piece of steel coat hanger, and make an "S" bend at one end.

2.) Carefully insert your new "tool" under the grip. You may have to twist it back and forth a little to get it all the way down. (boy did I enjoy writing that ;-)

3.) Now, using the "S" bend as a handle, start rotating the wire as if you were opening a sardine can (Ya'll do eat sardines don't ya?)

If you rotate the wire clockwise, it will "walk" its way counter clockwise around the handlebar, breaking the glue bond as it goes.

4.) When you have completely encircled the bar, remove the wire, grasp the grip with both hands and twist, or "unscrew" it from the bar. If you have access to compressed air, sometimes it helps to inject air under the grip by placing the air nozzle right against the front edge. This will make sliding the grip off a bit easier.

When re-installing the grip, use a soft setting adhesive such as "Grip Seal" or orange CPVC Glue. It will hold sufficiently, but be much easier to remove next time, and it allows you enough time to set the grip exactly where you want it, then it will seteup overnight. Get a grip, and have a ball!! :-)

Quick Reply: I can not get the grip off... i need ideas