Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the dragon

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:22 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I hardly saw any dynas on the dragon. Lots of FL's, softails, goldwings, dressers, trikes,sportbikes....I did meet one fat bob owner and saw one WG that I did not speak to its owner.

I did see a boss hoss run the dragon. Don't know how he faired. I also saw 6 corvettes run at the same time. A classic '69 z28 camaro....

I didn't want to leave but I missed my daughter...

We did hit some ugly weather yesterday. Thank god for my bud letting me borrow a full face helmet. I also wore it on the dragon. In this instance I definitely dressed for the crash and not the ride.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:28 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Just found this on Killboy.... LMGDAO!!!

http://vimeo.com/3862342

Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 AM
vandykemc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will on the Dragon on 10th and attending the Cherokee Survivors Rally in Cherokee NC 11th through 13th. Motorhead and Revrend Horton Heat are playing this year.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 215 Posts

Longhair, i prefer Hellbender over The Dragon. Sounds like you have it going on up there! You're taking a similar route that we did back in June. Enjoy!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:07 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Tony, I would have loved to ride more and do some trout fishing. I think everybody should ride the dragon at least once. Well maybe not everyone.

Before hitting the dragon we stopped at Fontana Dam...where they filmed The Fugitive (harrison ford jumps from a dam).

We got there late on tues and there was hardly any traffic on the dragon. By the time we made our first pass it was 6pm or so.

Oh...gas in Fontana Village (hwy 28)....93 octane was $3.50/gal. Gas at deals gap was...I don't remember but it was cheaper a little. I'm sure the delivery charge up there is most of the cost.

Also, I didn't mention but I would most definitely go back to the Ironhorse M/C campground. Not expensive. I paid $25.00 for a bed in a bunkhouse. They offered breakfast that you order when you check in and prepay for.

http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

Old 09-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Tony, I would have loved to ride more and do some trout fishing. I think everybody should ride the dragon at least once. Well maybe not everyone.

Before hitting the dragon we stopped at Fontana Dam...where they filmed The Fugitive (harrison ford jumps from a dam).

We got there late on tues and there was hardly any traffic on the dragon. By the time we made our first pass it was 6pm or so.

Oh...gas in Fontana Village (hwy 28)....93 octane was $3.50/gal. Gas at deals gap was...I don't remember but it was cheaper a little. I'm sure the delivery charge up there is most of the cost.

Also, I didn't mention but I would most definitely go back to the Ironhorse M/C campground. Not expensive. I paid $25.00 for a bed in a bunkhouse. They offered breakfast that you order when you check in and prepay for.

http://www.ironhorsenc.com/
Yea, gas in Fontana ain't cheap, but there's no price shopping when you're in the middle of nowhere...

One day on our trip, we hung out at the campground not far from Ironhorse - can't remember the name. They had beer for a small donation. Cool peeps who run the place. Check to see if Wheels Through Time is open in Maggie Valley. I don't think he's moved to Gatlinburg yet. He's not open on a regular basis now, but it's worth it if he is.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

I remember seeing a place called "Kickstand lodge" or something like that. Is that the place? I thought WTT was closing a few years back and the owners were moving to AZ or something.

I'm no longer up there. I went up tues morning and came back wed. night.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Here is a link to a photo album of my TOTD pics. I would have liked to shoot more but I was riding.

One photo is not mine. It's obvious.

Some are ok. some suck.

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/SC_Fuzzy/TOTD/

Old 09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats the temp feel like? Being from FL, should I bring my leather jacket? Was it too hot in the afternoon for leather?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:34 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by reesestewww
Whats the temp feel like? Being from FL, should I bring my leather jacket? Was it too hot in the afternoon for leather?
The morning was cool and by the time we hit the top of the dragon on wed, we stripped down to jeans and a tshirt. Of course I'm only one step down from looking like sasquatch so Im always hot. I would definitely bring your leathers, in fact bring a good mix of warm and cold weather riding gear as we hit some out of the blue rain yesterday which without leathers would have sucked.

If you'd like a more definitive answer you can always give Deal's Gap a call for suggestions.

Quick Reply: Tail of the dragon