Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the dragon

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,060 Likes on 3,627 Posts

We are going up Friday and i finally convinced my buddy that just bought a 08 Ultra on Sunday that it may not be the best place to go riding...We will do the Pkway, the Skyway, 25 Wayah rd. Maybe 209 to Hot sprngs....So many roads to enjoy and we will be riding 2 up all weekend so that means ....easy boy...

Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
We are going up Friday and i finally convinced my buddy that just bought a 08 Ultra on Sunday that it may not be the best place to go riding...We will do the Pkway, the Skyway, 25 Wayah rd. Maybe 209 to Hot sprngs....So many roads to enjoy and we will be riding 2 up all weekend so that means ....easy boy...
Good thinking. Y'all enjoy the ride.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:23 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
A guy staying at the same campsite we are lost his dad yesterday on the dragon. Apparently he failed to navigate a turn and ran into the mountain. He was riding an FLHT with an S&S 113" w/ baker 6speed.
I'm headed there in two weeks from today. Do people just go to fast on the dragon? I cant imagine you can go over 25 MPH. Anyways I know I'll be in no hurry. I want to enjoy the ride

Old 09-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

The dragon is nice to ride . I ride it at my pace and don't give aflying crap about anybody racing or speeding..It is a state maintained road with a speed limit and i pay taxes like the next schmoe.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:07 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by reesestewww
I'm headed there in two weeks from today. Do people just go to fast on the dragon? I cant imagine you can go over 25 MPH. Anyways I know I'll be in no hurry. I want to enjoy the ride
Some people do go too fast. You can hit 60-70 if not more on some straights. The problem is getting slowed down enough to negotiate the next turn. People wreck there for all kinds of reasons. Speed is not always the problem. You have to be very focused on what's going on at all times. Stay on your side of the road, look out for people ahead of you and behind you, and be aware of the next turn and how fast you going into it. Although they just paved some pull-offs, there are no shoulders so if you run off the road, you are screwed.

You are smart. Take your own advice and take your time and enjoy it. Leave the speed to the idiots. Ride safe and have fun.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 PM
HD 472
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mk1Racer
From all that I've read, and some of the videos I saw, while it looks like a fun road, I can't see myself making a special trip, just to be hassled by the THP.
I read and saw the same things you did, but when I was there in june I didn't see any police.........And I mean none.. I was expecting to see more police than bugs on the windshield......I rode the dragon over half the day and didn't see any....

Old 09-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I was there a few times 3 or 4 in the last 2 years and twice i saw no LEO's but the other 2 it was cop haven from NC to TN. Easier to behave and cheaper.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:07 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by reesestewww
I was able to navigate between 30-40mph. Some turns you just have to slow down. The sportbikes are nuts. I watched some guys lay their whole knee down to navigate turns, just like the pros. It was impressive to say the least.

I almost lost it twice even before getting to the dragon. I definitely came in to a turn too fast. I then started off slow and worked my way up to a very cool scraping speed.

We did a large loop yesterday as our departing ride... started at Deals Gap...rode the dragon north...then took 72..then left onto 411...left onto 360...Cherohala Skyway...Beautiful road. Then onto 165. That road was the most beautiful scenery...cruising along a crystal clear trout stream.

either 165 or we made another interchange to 145...took us over the mountain about 5400 ft up. We ended up about 30 miles or so from 129. (deals gap). I didn't see one cop on the dragon the 4 times we rode it.

I'll post what pics I can, that are of any quality in a few hours. All in all I did close to 900 miles round trip. Maybe a little more but I haven't checked my total since getting home at midnight last night.

I will say we stayed at the Iron Horse M/c campgrounds in stecoah. Wow. I loved it. Cheap. Good breakfast. People were cool.

As far as your bud riding his FL...man, people drove everything on the dragon. He'll be fine unless he's not up for it. I saw anything and everything up there. This weekend will be packed and I suspect quite a few more accidents, I hate to say.

Definitely ride the dragon and most definitely ride around the area. It's worth it.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mk1Racer
From all that I've read, and some of the videos I saw, while it looks like a fun road, I can't see myself making a special trip, just to be hassled by the THP.
I didn't see one cop except down in Stecoah on hwy 28. I was exceeding the speed limit a little...+15 or so and he didn't take a econd glance at me.

I suspect with the major holiday weekend there will be plenty of LEOs around but go up during the week. trust me.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will arrive there this month on the 24th! Have fun and be safe.

Quick Reply: Tail of the dragon