Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the dragon

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you aware of the other surrounding roads in the area, ie Cherohala Skyway or Waya Rd Between Andrews & Franklin.

Go to Cherekee Cycles in Andrews for a map.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,060 Likes on 3,627 Posts

I will be up there Labor day weekend.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shag67
Cool. Tell Barry and Linda (owners of Two Wheel Inn) that ex-Warrior-rider Travis says hi. Nice place to stay! You made a great choice. Nice having a little garage of your own right beside your room while you're there. I wish I could convince more of my friends that Two Wheel Inn is THE place to stay while you're visiting the dragon.
Nah, Travis.... the Kickstand Lodge (KSL) is THE place to be during a multi day stay of Dragon area riding. Super campground run by friendly folks with a senic location in Stecoah off of HWY 28...... which itself is a fantastic on over to it's intersection with 129.
Have a blast next month for the Return to the Dragon ride....Hope to see you there next April for Warrior Fest V and some more Harley represent.
To the original thread poster, have a great time.... tho I wouldn't even mess with the Dragon on a Friday after about 0930 in the mornin'.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:12 PM
AFONE
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Key an eye out for the cops as you get close to deals gap. Three years ago while heading up for the Triumph RAT Raid, I got nicked by Johnny Law. I had been riding 5 hours and was only about 30 minutes from my destination. Not sure how the cop nabbed me as I was going up hill and he was rounding a turn in the opposite direction.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,060 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by kempilot
Hi guys, I am heading up to Deals Gap to ride the dragon for a couple days. I will leave Orlando on the 16th for the ride up there.

I welcome any tips, suggestions, things to be wary off.

Thanks
Don't drive above you skills...You will be surprised at some of the switchbacks and you can't undo a bonehead move once you've done it...the worst part is that there is traffic coming from the other direction... Let the fast dumbasses go by if they want to ... Don't overdrive the bike....it will bite you in the *** real quick...

Old 08-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Mk1Racer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From all that I've read, and some of the videos I saw, while it looks like a fun road, I can't see myself making a special trip, just to be hassled by the THP.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:30 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Be sure to ride the Cherohala Skyway while you are there. Great ride. Wider road, fast sweepers, great scenery and visibility.

Watch for guys coming up behind you. They will pass you even in the turns. If you aren't aware they are coming, they can startle you.

Have fun and ride safe.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 AM
smottsr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While you're this far up, go just a little east. Two good places to ride. Hwy 80 from Marion, NC to the Blueridge Pky. Enjoy the overlook there. Then on across Hwy 80 to Micaville, NC. Then go right on Hwy 19E towards Spruce Pine, NC. Turn left at Newdale on Hwy 80 again towards Bakersville, NC. Super good riding. Been riding these roads for over 45 years, haven't gotten tired of them yet. You will love it.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got back from a 1350 mile trip - Jacksonville, FL to Robbinsville, NC to Asheville to Savannah, GA. Rode the Cherahola from Robbinsville over to the Dragon, did that (first time for my s/o) then up to Cherokee to pick up the BRP to Asheville to visit Chimney Rock SP, then Savannah for party time.

28 and 19 from Franklin over to Robbinsville are great rides and nearly as challenging as the Dragon. As has been stated, don't override your ability, stay extremely defensive and wary of everyone. Prepare yourself to have a sportbike blow past you on the Dragon - always happens and can startle you if you're not expecting it.

The day we arrived in Robbinsville (8/22) a kid on a sportbike riding with a club from Chicago lost it. He was life-flighted (tho most areas automatically do that these days with bike accidents) - never did hear how he was but his club stayed at the same hotel we did. Bike was pretty much trashed. You expect the plastic to be gone but his bars were bent, the whole riser area was packed with dirt, etc. I'm guessing he went upside down at some point.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

Old 08-30-2009, 12:44 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I am definitely just a little scared of that road. I think it's healthy to have it, as it will keep my head in one place. Navigating it safely. I'm looking forward to it though. I have zero desire to become another statistic of The Dragon.

Although that rider was probably riding way above his skill, I don't wish that on anyone. I hope he's recovering.

Quick Reply: Tail of the dragon