Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start update

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009 | 07:08 AM
kd4tsc
|
Intermediate
Default Won't Start update

Remember my thread where I said the bike wouldn't start when I pressed the starter switch? It's a '93 FXLR 90th Anniversery. I swapped handlebars and had to lengthen everything. I took my time and it took about 3 months of off and on working on the project. Well, when I finally got the wiring finished, I thought I'd give it a quick engine turnover. Nothing. The lights come on, all wiring is correct, headlight dims, turn signals work, horn works, everything is fine it's just that the engine doesn't move. Not even an "errrrr..." One thing I did notice was that when the ignition is switched on, what sounds like a relay clicks on and off intermittantly. On for about 5 seconds, off for a second, then on again and repeats that cycle. Well a reply to my last thread concerning this was that the battery could of lost some juice. I placed a charge on the battery but that didn't help. Well, I got to thinking... There's a solinoid end cover you can purchase which has a pushbutton on it to use for starting. In the description it says, "bypasses the starter switch AND relay". I said, "hmmmm..." I switched the ignition on, removed the solonoid end cover, stuck a nut driver in there and pressed the mechanism in. Engine turned over like a scalded dog. If I had gas in her, she'd have started right up. Battery had a full charge. So, the question is: Is there a "Starter Relay" that may need replacing? Any thought s as to what the problem could be?
Thanks

Old 08-27-2009 | 07:27 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

Originally Posted by kd4tsc
Any thought s as to what the problem could be?
Thanks
Yes, on my 08 Fat Bob it is behind the side cover on the left. But since the rewiring, have you checked the connection aal the way through?

Old 08-27-2009 | 07:42 AM
Marksman
Road Captain

A relay is a switch that uses low voltage or current to switch a high current circuit. You need to see what is happening on the low side. The low side is probably sending a positive voltage to the relay from the starter switch. Take a voltage reading from ground to the smaller wire on the relay. Should be zero. Next take a voltage reading while you hit the starter button. Do you get 12 volts?
Seems weird that the relay would go bad at the exact same time you re-wired.

Old 08-27-2009 | 09:18 AM
kd4tsc
|
Intermediate

The only thing I could've wired backwards would be two of the idiot lights. The turnsignals have one hot wire and one ground, so it doesnt matter which wire is ground or hot. One of the other lights is that way, also. Either the Neutral Light, Highbeam Light, or Oil Light has a hot and ground but the remaining two lights have both of their wires plug into the Molex Connector. Could one of those be in the wrong place? They worked when I switched them back and forth checking to see if there was a particular hole they needed to go in.

Old 08-27-2009 | 09:37 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

I think the other poster has it right, the first step should be to verify you are getting 12 volts to the relay when you press the starter switch. A volt meter is your friend. You have to sort of work backwards on this sort of problem. If you are getting 12 volts to the relay than you know your wiring is fine . You already know the starter is fine and the battery is fine. If you are not getting 12 volts to the relay move to the switch and see if you are getting 12 volts to the hot side of the switch. Good luck, I know how frustrating electrical problems can be.

Old 08-27-2009 | 01:51 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by kd4tsc
... One thing I did notice was that when the ignition is switched on, what sounds like a relay clicks on and off intermittantly. On for about 5 seconds, off for a second, then on again and repeats that cycle....Any thought s as to what the problem could be?..
My guess is that you have an electrical fault in your system caused during the re-wiring proces. The clicks you hear probably come from the circuit breaker which is installed (at least on my FXD2003) to protect the electrical circuits. Whenever a failure occurs in any part of the electrical sysytem, the circuit breaker is self-resetting and will automatically return power to the circuit when the electriacal fault is found and corrected. If the electrical fault is not founf and corrected, the circuit breaker will cycle on and off continuously. This will cause the motorcycle to run erratically.
My advice: check all the wires you worked on one by one to find out if they are isolated well and/or not stuck/damaged and do not short-circuit with some part of the frame or handlebar.

Old 08-27-2009 | 06:55 PM
Delmarksman
Tourer

I agree with Renee on this. You are popping a breaker.
Sounds to me like like you have a ground fault somewhere.

Old 09-05-2009 | 11:46 PM
Jerrysounds
Intermediate
Cool

Hay KD, I just went through this on my 91 FXR. As it turns out, it was corrosion on the battery terminals. Quick clean job with some emmery cloth and I am back in business. I had the same symptoms as you. All electrical bells and whistles worked but the bike would not start . Battery voltage was fine. Do this first before you replace stuff. Hope it works out.

Old 09-06-2009 | 02:48 AM
09DynaMan
Banned

it cerainly sounds like you have a short, probably in the form of a pinched h/bar wire
the click sound is almost certainly a circuit breaker and I would say it is more 5 secs OFF and 1 sec(or less) ON
the breakers are under the left hand side cover
take it off and identify which one is activating(you can feel the click)
it has nothing to do with batt charge, or batt connections, or starter relay failure
all totally irrelevant