Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:19 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wide Glide License Plate Bracket

One of my kids bought me the side-mount license plate bracket/light assembly from the 2010 Wide Glide (I mentioned I liked the look) ... anyway, not sure how to modify my 2009 Fat Bob to make the thing fit. I don't have a parts diagram of the Wide Glide, but from looking at the bikes at the dealership, it looks like there is a small bracket that extends from the rear fender supports that the bracket mounts to. I could probably find the part, but any ideas on how to make this work? I'd just as soon pick up an "after-market" bracket, but since the kids gave it to me, I'd like to try to make it work. It isn't as "cheap and plastic" as I assumed it was, only the portion that telescopes under the plate is plastic, the rest seems nicely built.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I saw at the dealership, it appears like there is a bracket which is either bolted or welded to the fender strut just before the last bolt. That would be the bolt forward of your turn signals on the Fat Bob. Also, it looks like the strut cover has been notched on the WG to allow fitment.

You might go to the dealer and look at the 2010 parts book for a better idea.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 PM
sanlyn
Road Master

I looked at the bracket on the wide glide, and had one of the parts people do some research on it. He couldn't find anything in his books. The fender/bracket are in the book, but nothing putting them together.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Hmm, that doesn't sound right. You were checking the parts manual and not the accessories catalog, right? No insult intended, I just can't believe the parts breakdown doesn't show it connecting.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:57 PM
sanlyn
Road Master

I couldn't believe it either ... the parts person pulled the manual, and after he couldn't identify the part I was describing we walked over to the bike to look at it. Went back to the diagrams, and neither of us could identify the piece. We did find the correct screws used to attach the license plate bracket, but couldn't find the mount in the manual. It didn't look like the fender strut had it permanently attached.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Yeah, I thought for sure it had to be a bolted on bracket. Maybe one of the nice 2010 Wide Glide owners on here would be willing to put their strut cover and look?

Old 08-30-2009, 10:25 AM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

I just checked in the garage...There's a bracket that is bolted onto the rear strut between the strut and fender, right by the left rear turn signal. Then, that bracket has two bolts that attach the whole plate swing-arm assembly. The strut is notched in that area so the bracket can slide in. It's definitely a bolt on process, but you'll have to break out the dremel and modify the strut a bit to make it work.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:52 AM
sanlyn
Road Master

I figured I'd have to make some modification. Now I just need to identify that part so I can get one (or make one). The bracket on the Wide Glide has a nice finish on it, so I'd just as soon get one of those. Now I need to find a parts man that can figure out the part to order.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:43 PM
sanlyn
Road Master

Went to ANOTHER dealer, and they think the bracket is part of the fender strut ... can any 2010 Wide Glide owners confirm? Sounds like it should be a bolt-on based on the previous post, but the parts person at the dealership disagrees. They still can't find anything in their books.

Last edited by sanlyn; 08-31-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:48 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The left frame rail strut has a tab welded to it with 2 holes drilled into it to support the side mount plate bracket and the strut cover has a notch to clear it. You will most likely need to weld a tab to your strut frame rail, does not look like it would be a big deal. There might be a way to way to bolt a support to the strut rail to hold the plate bracket, but it would probably look like crap? You will also have to separate the wires in the harness to route the plate wires to it too. Good luck, I think the side mound would look good.
CB

Quick Reply: Wide Glide License Plate Bracket