Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something to Watch out for with Forward Controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 12:57 PM
rac43
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something to Watch out for with Forward Controls

Just to share a problem I had. I had forward controls put on my 03 FXD, ( controls are from a Wide Glide). After installation, I kept getting a metal on metal vibration sound coming from somewhere under the bike. I have V&H Long Shot pipes installed! Drove me crazy trying to find this noise. Finally, noticed that the brake rod connecting the forward brake pedal was almost touching the front exhaust pipe on it's way back to the rear master cylinder. As the pipe heated up and expanded a bit, the rod would touch and vibrate. Hell of a noise. Could not adjust the rod enough to get it away from the pipe enough so had to jury rig with a piece of muffler tape wrapped around the rod to keep it against the pipe all of the time. Rattle gone. Just in case anyone else gets this problem!
http://www.opaloasis.com/Harley.html

Old 03-12-2007, 08:25 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Something to Watch out for with Forward Controls

Thanks for the tipRac43! I would imagine if you keep the tape small enough it would be virtually invisible from a few feet away.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Psycho
Road Master

Take the brake rod out, get it red hot with a torch right where it is touching, and bend it out about an eighth inch or so.

That was my fix for the same problem. Works great.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:51 PM
2BKFXDL
Road Master

Even w/ Kuryakyn 3rd gen fwds and my V&H BigShots the tolerance in that area was close. I was able to adjust the rod enough though to give the needed clearance.

Tape or reshaping the rod.....both should work.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

You just solved my problem.

I have V&H Straightshots and stock forwards. Same thing. I'd get this "pinging" noise that would add a Jetson car sound effect over my rumble @ higher speeds. I bet you anything thats it. All I could narrow it down to was a possible loose starter cover.

Never affected my performance, just made a little rediculous noise that I could never find cooled down in the garage. Thanks!!

Old 03-12-2007, 04:55 PM
02FXDCustom
Cruiser

I have an '02 SUper Glide w/Samson Big Guns II "Rip Saws" and the same happen to me. I was able to rig it just enough to keep it off my pipes. It still narrowed out a small groove in them, but it is on the inside and not noticeable.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:58 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,058 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Ball pein, a few well placed love taps, on the backside.
Don't get too violent, just a couple dimples.

mud

ORIGINAL: rac43

Just to share a problem I had. I had forward controls put on my 03 FXD, ( controls are from a Wide Glide). After installation, I kept getting a metal on metal vibration sound coming from somewhere under the bike. I have V&H Long Shot pipes installed! Drove me crazy trying to find this noise. Finally, noticed that the brake rod connecting the forward brake pedal was almost touching the front exhaust pipe on it's way back to the rear master cylinder. As the pipe heated up and expanded a bit, the rod would touch and vibrate. Hell of a noise. Could not adjust the rod enough to get it away from the pipe enough so had to jury rig with a piece of muffler tape wrapped around the rod to keep it against the pipe all of the time. Rattle gone. Just in case anyone else gets this problem!