Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires... ahh... sorry.. just need some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:43 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

I've never thought about making one, I had looked online a while back and seen em priced as low as 75 bucks but didn't know if it was a get what you pay for thing, so you made yours, did you find some deal online that gave ya instructions or something. So I would still need to take the wheel to a shop and have em bust old tire off and new tire on rim? Thanks man, by the way Joe, I sent you a reply a few weeks back on some powdercoat questions, never heard back from ya, got any new pm's from me?

Old 11-26-2009, 10:02 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 772 Posts

Been looking into Avons for my SB. The best prices I got were from americanmototire: http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...bc37145766a4db

Venom 100/90-19: $111.66 shipped
Storm 160/70-17: $162.97 shipped

I spoke to someone at Avon and he recommended the Storm on the back and Venom on the front since the tread compounds were compatible. They don't (or maybe can't) recommend the 110 on the front, but I may do that anyway.

Can't help you with the Metzlers, decided to go with Avons.
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle

Old 11-26-2009, 10:40 AM
hdcnner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

avon.......!!!!!!!!

i've got the cobra's....

but my bob is a fat one.... lol....

Old 11-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
Been looking into Avons for my SB. The best prices I got were from americanmototire: http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...bc37145766a4db

Venom 100/90-19: $111.66 shipped
Storm 160/70-17: $162.97 shipped

I spoke to someone at Avon and he recommended the Storm on the back and Venom on the front since the tread compounds were compatible. They don't (or maybe can't) recommend the 110 on the front, but I may do that anyway.

Can't help you with the Metzlers, decided to go with Avons.
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle
Why won't the Avon Venom X 110/90x19 fit on the front? It does on mine and before I bought it I checked their tire charts and 2.5 rim size is fine...even better with the newer Bobs as I think the rim size on the front has gone up to 2.75.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Madcow
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got metlzers. rear tire always slids at a stop, so I have to be careful. go with the avon venom. my choice for new tires

Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Sumpnut
Why won't the Avon Venom X 110/90x19 fit on the front? It does on mine and before I bought it I checked their tire charts and 2.5 rim size is fine...even better with the newer Bobs as I think the rim size on the front has gone up to 2.75.
I'm sure the 110's will fit on the front, can't see why not. But when I talked to the Avon rep I asked him about them and all he would tell me was that the company doesn't recommend it. I figure it's a liability issue and they don't want to tell someone it's OK to put on anything except a stock size tire.
Do you notice any difference with the 110 on the front?

Old 11-28-2009, 02:36 PM
sibur
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a new set of Metzlers waiting to be installed, A shop in Erie,Pa charges $25 a piece to remove the old tire and mount the new tire.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 11-28-2009, 04:35 PM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In my mind I would buy the Avon's, however, I just learned that Michelins are now stock on some Harleys and they are supposed to be darn good. They say they get the wear of the Dunlops, with the handling of Avon/ME. I also met a friend yesterday who went to ME's after the Dunlops wore out. He says the ME's don't track grooves nearly as bad as Dunlops.

Take a look. Glad to answer, you always answer all of our questions and their are damn few times I know enough to answer yours.

I think if given the choice get betwee ME's and Avon, go with price. The Me's wear a little longer.

Good luck,hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, and the powder coating is going well...

Originally Posted by JRK5892
OK.. so it is tire time... big time tire time, i need both for the bob, and the girl needs 2 new ones on her scoot as well... awesome right! hahaha

anyway... i have spent the past 2 days goign though all my tire posts i have saved and have come to this conclusion, just wanted to run it by you guys..

Best place to buy tires (cheepest): www.motorcyclesuperstore.com

tire options:
for 180 i have to run the dunlops

Avon:
110/90/19 - Venom (front)
170/60/17 - Storm (rear)

Metzler:
ME880 170/60/17
ME880 110/90/19

are these my two best bets? any other sugestions or where to buy them... i would like to go with a 180 but it does not look like any good tires out there will work...
also, i know the V rod 120 font tires have been said to fit on the st bobs... has anyone put it on there for sure? i customized my front fender for a fatter front tire and want to know once an for all how wide i can go...

sorry to post this i usually hate these types of posts but i have done a TON of homework before
just wanted to hit you guys up for feed back and sugestions

Old 11-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
I'm sure the 110's will fit on the front, can't see why not. But when I talked to the Avon rep I asked him about them and all he would tell me was that the company doesn't recommend it. I figure it's a liability issue and they don't want to tell someone it's OK to put on anything except a stock size tire.
Do you notice any difference with the 110 on the front?
Well If you look at their tire-rim charts 110 is ok'd fro 2.5 to 3.0 rim so I don't know what the guys talking about ? Guess he's like a HD salesman who don't know jack chit.Visually the tire looks good...obviously bigger and fills up the fender better than the original dunlop,the oem SB fender does'nt cover the width of the 110 either so you get more water spray lol but who cares.The feel of the Avon over the Dunlop is much better..mine did'nt white line so much..rolled smoother and feels like it has better grip in turns.

Hope this helps,,,go fit an Avon 110 and don't worry about it...Regards Sumpnut.

Quick Reply: Tires... ahh... sorry.. just need some feedback