Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli Night Dragon review

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Uquackmeup
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pirelli Night Dragon review

For reference, this is on an 07 Street Bob. I was running Dunlop K591’s. The 591’s are decent tires. I put a set of Pirelli Night Dragons on and all I can say is these tires are awesome. Starting with straight line freeway speed stability, these tires do not track on rain grooves or any other tire grabbing grooves in the road. They don’t seem to notice pavement snakes (tar patches) either. Once you get into the twisty mountain roads is where you REALLY feel the difference, though. The Pirellis transition from left to right with amazing ease. They feel like they are glued to the road and I found myself not having to correct my line at all. They are so very stable that they are very confidence inspiring. It’s not that you need to be a racer to enjoy them, it’s just nice to know that you’re not going to be upset by unseen road irregularities. You can relax and really enjoy the ride. I’ve already done suspension upgrades but these tires bring it all together.

These tires are so good that I would swap to them even if my existing tires were new.

Ron

Old 08-19-2009, 07:18 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

How many miles have you put on them?

Old 08-19-2009, 07:22 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Going to be my next set of tires.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder how they stack up against the Metzlers. I have them on my bike now, but they definitely have problems when running over tar snakes in the twisties. Did you say that yours don't have problems? Are you talking on flat roads or in the turns (or both)? For me when I lay it down in a turn it will slide if I start running over tar snakes.
I am guessing you just put them on so don't know how long the tread lasts. I have 8K on my Metzlers and the back one needs to be replaced here soon.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Uquackmeup
Tourer

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
How many miles have you put on them?
Today was 1st ride with them, about 125 miles.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Uquackmeup
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigmikaele
I wonder how they stack up against the Metzlers. I have them on my bike now, but they definitely have problems when running over tar snakes in the twisties. Did you say that yours don't have problems? Are you talking on flat roads or in the turns (or both)? For me when I lay it down in a turn it will slide if I start running over tar snakes.
I am guessing you just put them on so don't know how long the tread lasts. I have 8K on my Metzlers and the back one needs to be replaced here soon.
I've never been overly impressed with Metzlers, but not all their tires are created equal. I had 880's on my Sportster and to me they were comparable to the Dunlop 591's, decent. I had Metzler Z-4's on my Ducati and pulled them after 1k miles, they were so unnerving. I replaced them with Pirellis and was amazed by the difference. That’s what brought me to try them for the SB as soon as they became available.

As far as tar snakes, There's a section of road I take that is fast sweepers with lots of tar snakes to ruin the fun. Not so with these tires. I was deliberately running over them with no effect, as opposed to avoiding them like the plague.

Longevity is a concern. Pirelli says to expect about 8K miles. We'll see. That's about 5 months for me.

Last edited by Uquackmeup; 08-19-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 PM
13frain
Advanced

Good to know. Here in Indiana with all the pot holes and patches even the straightest roads can be an adventure.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Uquackmeup
Tourer

Originally Posted by 13frain
Good to know. Here in Indiana with all the pot holes and patches even the straightest roads can be an adventure.
Unfortunately, pot holes are still pot holes. The tires don't work magic with them.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

What sizes, quack? Did you go for the 180 rear?

Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Uquackmeup
Tourer

Originally Posted by Redbeard
What sizes, quack? Did you go for the 180 rear?
Yes, the 180 rear and 100/90/19 front. The rear is not any wider than the stock Dunlop 160. There are no fitment issues. The 180 is more triangular than the rounded Dunlop, more contact patch when leaned over.

Ron

Quick Reply: Pirelli Night Dragon review