Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for first bike - some nub Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006 | 09:16 PM
JohnnyFru
|
3rd Gear
Default Looking for first bike - some nub Q's

Well I got lucky and had my MSF course dates moved up about 2 months early and just passed earlier this weekend. So now I'm starting to seriously look for a bike to get. My story goes I've been into bikes for a while but never went any further than tv shows, magazines, and websites. Then I saw the Street Bob and basically just looking at that bike made me want to learn to ride.

I've got some questions about buying a first bike, though. Now obviously those MSF bikes are like 250s and are rediculously easy to handle so I'm trying to find out how much of a difference there is when moving right up to a Dyna in things like weight, handling and balance (I'm not that big of a guy and my main concern is buying something that I won't be able to properly handle). I was at my local HD dealer yesterday and from what the guy there told me the hardest thing concerning weight is being able to straighten it up off the kickstand and balance it at stops. Basically he said that with any of them, once you get them moving you've already done most of the work. He let me sit on them and see how they felt and how it felt to straighten them out and honestly I couldn't tell that much of a difference in weight between the lowest Sportster and the Street Bob. And the Street Bob was the most comfortable sitting in, it just seemed to be the most natural feeling (I pretty much spent 2 hours just going back and forth sitting on different ones from the lowest end Sportster, 883R, 883 Low, a 1200, and a few Dynas). He also told me that none of the dealers in my state allow any test riding so that makes me even more afraid of making a purchase and having it turn out to be a disaster.

So basically I'd just like some input on how you guys would go about this or how you went about your own situations. I don't really know what to do next.

Old 06-04-2006 | 09:32 PM
jv225
Road Master
Default RE: Looking for first bike - some nub Q's

IMO you will be fine on a Dyna but just to be sure why not see if there is anywhere around you that you can rent one for a day. Or rent a couple different bikes for a day or half day each. That way you'll know exactly what you like / don't like and what you're comfortable with.

Old 06-04-2006 | 10:06 PM
JohnnyFru
|
3rd Gear

Cool, do you mean like trying out different companies different sizes just to get an idea of a bigger bike? I didn't think of that. As far as Harleys go, I'm pretty sure he said no dealers in my state allow that, but I will definitely check out other companies.

Old 06-04-2006 | 10:09 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

If you like the Dyna you should get it. It's not that much larger than the Sportster and you would probably end up selling the sporty in a year or so to get the bike you wanted originally. I have a Superglide and it handles very well.

When you do get whatever bike you decide, just take it over to a large empty parking lot and practice till your comfortable handling it.

Good luck and when you do get a bike post some pictures.

Old 06-04-2006 | 10:25 PM
2BKFXDL
Road Master

Having ridden most everything in my 33 years of riding I am of the opinion that the Dyna series comprises all the best that HD has to offer. Style, power, rideability, control and power to weight ratio are all excellent.

That is only my opinion though.......I like everything in the HD line.

I am obviously just partial to Dynas.

Good luck.........

Old 06-04-2006 | 10:51 PM
jv225
Road Master

ORIGINAL: JohnnyFru

Cool, do you mean like trying out different companies different sizes just to get an idea of a bigger bike? I didn't think of that. As far as Harleys go, I'm pretty sure he said no dealers in my state allow that, but I will definitely check out other companies.
No I didn't mean other companies [sm=badidea.gif] I mean other dealerships. Some have rentals available then you can check out other Harley models. There are plenty of Harley dealerships in your area that do authorized rentals. Go to the Harley website click on dealers then dealer locator. Put in your zip and check out the symbols to find out who does rentals. Hope this helps some.

Old 06-04-2006 | 11:07 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

JohnnyFru.. You've already begun your riding future the right way by taking the MSF course... One of the biggest mistakes veteran riders ( who haven't rode for awhile) and newbies make is jumping into a bike that they find that they can't handle...til it's too late... You got by that, by taking the course... so your ahead of the game... you should be fine, just remember to keep your focus on what the course taught you about the idiots in the cages around you... and no I didn't take the course.. but, I know plenty that did and they are better riders for it... Buy the DYNA SB... But.. The FXDI Super Glide is a nicer bike... LOL .... I know start no SH%T... Get no SH@T... CYA Out there...Skee

On the Rental Thing.. Here is some of there requirements don't know if you qualify... like it says below requirements vary by location.

Harley-Davidson Authorized Rentals® operators are independent businesses. Rider requirements vary by location. Generally, renters must:
Be 21 years of age or older.
Have a valid heavyweight motorcycle operator's license.
Possess the skills, knowledge and ability to operate a heavyweight motorcycle.
Have a major credit card.

Old 06-04-2006 | 11:50 PM
JohnnyFru
|
3rd Gear

Thanks for the input all, definitely going to look into the HD rentals more indepth.

Old 06-05-2006 | 12:18 AM
PsTaN
Road Master

Definately consider the Dyna. I'm so glad I bought into the Dyna line and nothing smaller .... the Dyna should be well within what you can handle and still big enough for room to grow .... and brother these things GROW!! Sadly .... your bank account wont!!

PsTaN

Old 06-05-2006 | 01:18 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

I'll be the dissenting vote here. I don't think a Harley makes a good first bike. I think you would be much better off starting out with a metric (japanese) dual sport bike. Spend some time in the dirt learing how to handle the bike. Drop it a few times, no big deal. Once you're comfortable with the mechanics of motorcycle riding, then move out on to the street. Learn how to ride that bike in traffic, on the highway, through parking lots, etc. Learn how to watch for cagers. Drop it a few times, that's OK.

After riding on the street for a while, you may discover you don't like it. It's a dangerous activity, and not everyone thinks it's fun.
When you're ready, you can sell the dual sport in a week or two. They are very popular, and you'll most likely get back what you paid for it. If you manage to destroy it, you won't be nearly as upset as you would with a $15K Dyna.

Then you can buy the Dyna of your dreams. Or maybe a Buell Hercules will be more to your liking. Or you might want to convert a Sportster to a dual sport. Don't jump in to the pool without testing the waters first.

But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Looking for first bike - some nub Q's