Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for first bike - some nub Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006 | 06:55 PM
LeavenworthJeff
Cruiser
Default RE: Looking for first bike - some nub Q's

My story is I took my written test and passed and went out and bought a used Sportster (97 883). Logic was if I ended up not like riding then I could sell it for what I gave for it and not lose any money. Found one in great shape and had my friend ride it home for me. I then practiced around the neighborhood for about a week and empty parking lots. I was nervous as hell I was going to drop the thing. I can only image what it would have felt like if I had started with a brand new $15K bike!! I then took my riding test and passed. I had my name on a list for the MSF course, but since I got my licence I took my name off. After about 6 months I felt ready for something more. The Sporty is a tough bike to start out on due to higher center of gravity. The bikes I test drove at the KC factory open house were a piece of cake to drive (ie Dyna, soft tails and Road Kings). I loved the SG for their handling. I think starting out on the Sporty made me a better rider though.

The main thing is, can you show self restraint? If not then start with a used bike. The TC88 has a lot of torque and power and can be dangerous in the hands of inexperienced riders or people who don't use self control. If you have a level head, go slow and do not drive outside of your capablities then you should be fine. Go at your pace not somebodies else's.

LeavenworthJeff
05 FXDI

Old 06-05-2006 | 07:33 PM
JohnnyFru
|
3rd Gear

Wow guys thanks for all the responses, this should really help me out a lot.

Old 06-05-2006 | 07:55 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

I would buy a used mid range (800cc) metric for $3/4k and ride it for 6 months. Ride the crap out of it, drop it, learn how to survive out on the mean streets. Then start thinking about what best suits you.

There is a lot more to riding a motorcycle than taking a 2 day course and then buying the first thing that appeals to you. Look in your local classified section and you will see numerious bikes (mostly Harley's) with almost no miles for sale. Folks who took a course and bought a new bike, maybe had a close call and then decided it wasn't for them.

Motorcycles are about the most fun you can have out of bed but they will get you killed if you don't develop skills and experence.

Lecture over.

Old 06-05-2006 | 07:56 PM
sws1
Cruiser

I bought an 800cc Suzuki before I had ever ridden a bike. Got my license through MSF, learning on a 125. Did great. Learning to drive the 800 was a bit scary. Alot harder to control, steer, etc.

Now have an '06 Dyna. Going from the 125 to the Suzuki was alot harder than going from VX800 to Dyna. Sure the dyna is heavier to stand up, but once it's rolling, it almost feels weightless to me.

Be careful.

Old 06-05-2006 | 08:33 PM
CoolChrome
Cruiser

It really depends,

Some people can begin with Harley but not everyone can.

I have ridden Suzuki and Yamaha, took several courses, dropped the bike several times...and did lots of mistakes back then... I had about 5000 miles experience before getting a Street Bob.

I find the Street bob to be quite heavy compared to Honda Shadow or Suzuki Marauder.
1450cc is much more powerfull than those 250cc -800cc

I personnaly don't beleive Harley are starter bikes. Theyre heavy, powerful and most importantly theyre expensive bikes to drop.

You should consider renting some Japanese bike for few weeks or months just to practice a little bit and do all the mistakes most people do before doing something sily that could scrap your 15-16k Dyna.

Old 06-06-2006 | 11:40 AM
wild wally
Road Master

one thing you didn't mention is how tall are you? People with longer legs have an advantage. Could you easily get your feet flat on the ground sitting on the Harley? if so, go for the Harley! The Dynas are nimble bikes. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Wally

Old 06-22-2006 | 05:24 AM
jigman
Cruiser

I'm new to this site and a new HD Bob owner too but I can share my experience. First off i think the post that stated some can, and some cannot start on the HD is probably true. When I started street riding at 35 Years old, the only experience I had was a few years form the age of 15-18 driving firends and eventually my own dirtbikes. But I went out and bought a 750 shadow and was pretty scared of it. I had it delivered to my house by the dealer and when I felt nobody on my street was looking I' cranked her up, took a deep breath and ever so gently goosed her to the end of the driveway...as confidence grew I took her to the end of the cul 'd sac and back to the driveway...then down to the stop sign and around the block. Well all this was in the course of about 20 minutes. I couldnt believe how easy it was to ride. I read alot of safety and riding books (piles of them) I'm very athletic but short 5'7" and 155 lbs. Balance wasnt even an issue. Of course that bike only weighed about 600lbs or so. Rode that bike for a year everywhere, all over the state then had to sell it cuz i couldnt afford it. i just bought a Dyna Bob 10 years later plus signed up for riders edge course. Am I nervous? yes, a little bit. But based on my previous experience I know the bike operation part of it isnt that tough. But what is tough is understanding that you have to take things slow...go to the end of the driveway, go up the street, go over to a big empty parking lot, as stated in an earlier post have self control. In the time I had the shadow, I dropped that bike once and I was stopped in a friends gravel driveway when i did it and wasnt even moving, was just not paying attention while looking behind me and pulled a real stupid move.. Didnt so much as crash down as I let it down easy when it got past the point of no return with almost no damage. Dropped on the non-pipes side and the foot peg pretty much took the weight of it and just a couple tiny scratches. So for someone fairly athletic, with a good sense of balance and body control it will be easier than if you aint. Also definitely helps to be able to flat-foot the bike too. I can just barely flat-foot the Bob with tennis shoes on, but with a good pair of boots should be fine. Take things slow and get the feel of the bike in places where a wrong action will have minimal consequences. Get crash bars (though i've never had them) I prolly will put em on the bob.....naaahhh! I'm in the same boat as you and we'll be fine with the dyna's if we use are heads and alot of heart too.

Old 06-22-2006 | 09:03 AM
iwant1
Tourer

I have to say I agree with Bobcowan, although there's nothing stopping you buying a Harley as a first bike, make no mistake they are big and heavy.
It's those emergency or unusual situations that can catch you out, and a smaller more nimble bike is more forgiving while riding is not yet second nature. I still sometimes underestimate the distance required to pull one of these babies up in a hurry.

If you have it in the budget I would recomend you buy a smaller, lighter bike which will be more nimble and forgiving. Even if it is only for a 3 or 4 months by that time you should have honed your skills so that the basics are more instinctive. You could then trade up to a bigger bike.

I see that as the the safest option anyway. Good luck with your riding

Old 06-22-2006 | 12:17 PM
DCRANER
Tourer

Hey JohnnyFru.

I was a new rider last year, after first taking the MSF course.

I bought a new 05 FXDWGI and had it delivered to my house, and my story is this;

1. Took the course on crappy 125cc old Jap bikes.

2. Bought the WG, delivered to my garage.

3. Looked at the WG and thought "how the hell am I gonna ride this beast?"

4. Got on it, took it down the street and thought, "holy $hit, this thing is easier to ride than that 125cc rust bucket".

Bottom line IMHO, buy what you really like, and just ride smart & safe. An idiot on a bicycle can kill himself if he does something stupid enough or pays no attention to whats going on around him.

Ride safe & Ride smart. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2006 | 12:23 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DCRANER

Hey JohnnyFru.

I was a new rider last year, after first taking the MSF course.

I bought a new 05 FXDWGI and had it delivered to my house, and my story is this;

1. Took the course on crappy 125cc old Jap bikes.

2. Bought the WG, delivered to my garage.

3. Looked at the WG and thought "how the hell am I gonna ride this beast?"

4. Got on it, took it down the street and thought, "holy $hit, this thing is easier to ride than that 125cc rust bucket".

Bottom line IMHO, buy what you really like, and just ride smart & safe. An idiot on a bicycle can kill himself if he does something stupid enough or pays no attention to whats going on around him.

Ride safe & Ride smart. Good luck.
I had been riding my AIH for months before taking the course (rode Sporty years before). Got the real dinky Hondas. Looked like a circus bear on a tricycle. Legs were all bunched up and I kept splaying them out just sit w/any comfort. Instructor kept pointing that out, so after the 2nd day I get off, pick the puny bike up off the ground and bounce it like a ball to show just how small I thought it.

...when I took the course again at ANOTHER site they had Suzi 250s that actually fit (they actually had dirt bikes and crotch rockets too) I did not have to do any of that (and did not get kicked out either).