Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for first bike - some nub Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006 | 01:53 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master
Default RE: Looking for first bike - some nub Q's

My experience:

Don't fret over balancing at stops and taking it off the jiffy. If you have even a modecum of balance, you'll be fine. If, on the other hand, you had some problems in the MSF on the 250cc, you may want to reconsider. That being said, I drove my Street Bob home in Friday evening rush-hour traffic after having not been on a bike in 15 years other than my MSF course. I was nervous, but, it took literally only a 1/2 a block before I was on cloud nine. The bikes are THAT responsive.

Just wanted to add that the Dynas and a 250cc don't feel THAT differently. Yeah, there's more weight but it's distributed in a way that makes it pretty easy to handle.

Whiff

Old 06-05-2006 | 02:04 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior

I took the MSF too...then bought a bike the following weekend. I wish I would've gotten the harley then (this was 1999)...anyway...I bought a honda shadow ACE...it probably weighed in at around 600 pounds wet...so I went and picked up the bike. If anyone is familiar with north east NJ, it can be pretty hectic driving. The place I bought the bike was called Woodbridge powersports in Linden, NJ...right off rt 1 & 9. I went pretty early in the afternoon to avoid some of the rush hour traffic. Needless to say, I was a little worried to begin with, considering that I had never ridden a real motorcycle before (only those little suzuki 125...mopeds with a clutch). Well...those douchbags didn't have the bike prepped on time for my pickup...so I had to wait. Finally at 4:45 PM (friday afternoon), the bike was ready. And to add insult to injury, it started raining. So here I am...rush hour on one of the worst highways in NJ (potholes, massive traffic, Rahway State Prison ), it's starting to rain, and I'm on a bike that was way heavier than what I was taught on. Talk about a trial by fire.
And you know what man...I did fine. It's like the old saying..once you can ride a bicycle, you never forget. Yeah..the bike was heavier, and it was a little different turning...and of course..there are no cars driving in and out of your lane when your on a closed course. But the bottom line is..if you had no problems at the class...anything anyone tells you that might worry you...don't listen. Of course...I wouldn't suggest jumping in the fire like I did right away...and I would definitely reccommend test riding a bunch of different bikes before you make a purchase. But once you decide, just get on and go...ride safe and enjoy the ride. Good luck man.

Todd

Old 06-05-2006 | 02:26 AM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior

I have don't think you would have an issue with the Dyna. If you were talking about buying a 150hp sport bike there may be cause for concern. The sporty seems to carry it's weight higher in the frame and the handling wasn't as neutral to me as on the dyna. I am coming from riding a 1000cc sport bike so all the Harley's feel slow to me. Just my .02

Old 06-05-2006 | 02:48 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

I was in your same position six months ago. When I finished the MSF course at Orlando Harley it included a free 24hr rental. The course used the little Buell Blast 500 so I was more than a little leary of getting on Dad's 750lb Road King. The rental served as the perfect buffer. I picked out a custom Deuce and quickly became comfortable on it. Spent three days on it and didn't want to return it. At this point I've never been so sure that a Harley is what I want. Ruled out the V-Rod for not being traditional enough. Spent some time on Dad's Fatboy and the Road King, which by the way, rides like a friggin' Cadillac! I knew I didn't want the "B" motor of the Softails. Loved the rubber mounted "A" motor of the touring bikes but wanted something sportier. A Dyna seemed perfect. I had been looking at Harleys for five years without a clear idea of what I wanted. I basically liked them all but now I was finally starting to narrow it down. The first time I saw a black denim Street Bob I knew it was the one.

Saddle time is really the only way to make an informed decision. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot. Search out some local dealers that do rentals. It ain't cheap but it's a lot better than buying a $18,000 bike and finding out it's the wrong one.

Old 06-05-2006 | 02:53 AM
Bradley
Cruiser

I just recently moved up from a 1200 sporty to the super glide and if anything the SG handles better. I personally started off with a 800cc metric just because it was what i could afford, but I don't think you will have any problems starting with the Harley. Just take it easy and spend plenty of time in the parking lot until u feel comfortable. Having taken the MSF course will definitely make u a better rider. I didn't, but my father in law did and he is an excellent rider. Watching him start out riding after taking the course definitely made me wish that I would have taken it before I started. Probably would have avoided many near misses that I had just starting out. I'm lucky I lived thru the first six months on my first bike! lol Just take it easy and always plan for the worst.[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 06-05-2006 | 10:32 AM
jt1965
Road Captain

Try before you buy. I was lucky in that I have several friends that would actually let me ride their bikes all of whom owned different Harley models. I liked all of them but settled on my '06 Lowrider. My dealer also let me test drive several different bikes. But I went back to the first one I rode at the dealer, And then I rode it home.

Good Luck and Keep the rubber side down.

Old 06-05-2006 | 12:31 PM
theyogawarrior
Tourer

Smart move taking the course first. I had been riding 10 years before I took the course and didnt know how much I needed to learn. I was self taught when I swiped the keys to my buddies bike in the drive way, started it and tried to ride it around the block and ended up dropping it and breaking one of the mirrors off. He was crazy about the bike and rightfully would have lost his mind. So my only option since I didnt have a car at the time was to ride the bike 10 miles to the nearest Honda dealership and buy a new mirror. Did so, and to this day he never knew. That's how I learned to ride. Oh, about your question. Get the Dyna.

Old 06-05-2006 | 12:42 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

Been riding a '72 Triumph on-an-off for the past 30 years. Sold it in March and bought a Low Rider in April.

Aside from right side shift to left side shift, the major thing to get used to was the increase in weight. Starting off and riding wasn't a problem; stopping and taking slow turns took a lot of getting used to, especially with a passenger.

Love the handling and low center of gravity of the Low Rider - made the transition a lot easier.

Sammi

Old 06-05-2006 | 03:22 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

You guys are what make this forum great....... HD riders helpin' each other out......Nice job....[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 06-05-2006 | 04:16 PM
lucospock
Tourer

I am also a new rider, and was scared as hell when I purchased a sportster and to ride it home! But to my surprise, I was astonished how the bike was handleling and how responsive it was, way more than the 500 cc Honda which I learned to ride with.
I am also considering trading for the street ******, and I am also concerned about the handling. I am really at ease with the sportster. I just hope the dyna will have the same handling (peaple in the forum seem to say it is even better...)
Good luck, do not be afraid, practice on parking lots and RIDE SAFE!!!

Quick Reply: Looking for first bike - some nub Q's