Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on an engine build

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:04 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for advice on an engine build

Hey everyone,

I am tearing down my Ultra tomorrow to put a 103" kit in it and once I am done with it I am going to be looking to do a BB kit to the Fatbob. I'm building the Ultra on the conservative side because I do some longer range trips and lower octane fuel can be a small problem. On the fatbob I am looking for something to ride primarily around town and on shorter day rides to weekend rides(less than say 700 miles a weekend). I'm looking for something that has alot of power through the mid range.

I currently have a V&H 2-1 big radius pipe, se Hi perf. a/c kit, and a pc5 from fuel moto. The bike runs alot stronger than my ultra but I'm looking for something that has a very strong mid range powerband.

I was thinking about installing:
107" Kit(brand?)
??? cams(looking for suggestions in that powerband range)
Oil cooler
adjustable pushrods
30 or 31T front pulley
Send heads off to big boyz for head work and install compression releases.

Am I on the right track for what I'm wanting? What do you guys think I should use for the engine kit and cams? Also is the front pulley gonna make the power more usable? Most of the fatbob riding is around town with some shorter interstate runs (75-80)but also sees some highway riding on the weekends which puts it around 60-65mph on average.

I have a paint set coming from vivid dragon in a few weeks and would like to do the motor work while I have the tank off. Then the only other major thing I have to figure out is a set of wheels for the fat bob.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:16 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

107" kit look at the Axtell. Heads, I've heard good things about big boyz I had Head Designs by Dewey do mine, you are on the right track with what you have posted, the biggest gains will be from the head work. Look online at head porters and check their dyno sheets. Big Boyz, Deweys, Hildreth Performance might be an option for you as he is in Alabama. Cams depends on your riding style. Many to choose from. Ask the head porter you choose what he reccomends, thats what i would do.
http://www.hildrethperformance.com/

Last edited by thedonthere; 08-18-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add link
Old 08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

Thanks for the info. The main reason I am wanting to use Big Boyz is because the guy that is gonna build my motor has dealt with him alot in the past and he took alot of time to answer some questions on my Ultra build. He seems very reputable and I don't mind waiting a little extra time just for a little extra peace of mind knowing it is right.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

I would have the porter help you pick the cams and pistons to get a good match. The pulley will put the power where you want it, you might want to look into a clutch while it's out for the pulley swap, at least get the SE spring.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

Thanks. I read about the spring and will likely do that at the same time.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

While we're mentioning "at leasts"... at least get the SE compensator sprocket.

And JMHO, but before I went that far on the upper end, I'd build the bottom end first. Crank out to folks like Revolution or DarkHorse for truing and welding, and also a timken bearing upgrade.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Dyna-Asa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its same problem I get every time I build my engine in my head....

....the snow ball effect, one thing necessitates another until a cam swap becomes a entire engine build from top to bottom, if only the moco could have gave us a sturdy bottom end to build on...