Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing lower fork sliders on 06?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006 | 05:03 PM
mojo
|
Tourer
Default replacing lower fork sliders on 06?

Anyone have any pointers that have replaced the lower fork sliders? I have the service manual but wanted to check with anyone that may have done this already...... thx mojo

Old 06-03-2006 | 05:13 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: replacing lower fork sliders on 06?

Patience, an impact wrench, 16mm allen (I think) socket, seal driver, new seals, and save yourself some time.......

after you remove the forks from the bike, remove the dust caps and safety ring.......

Turn the fork upside down (With main cap still attatched!!!!!!), and let it sit for a while (Fluid will transfer to the fork tube)......

Break loose the allen bolt holding the slider to the inner assy.... and attempt to "Jack it apart".......

Old 06-03-2006 | 07:14 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

Getting that bolt out of the bottom is a real pain in the behind. The rest is easy, right out of the service manual.

First, you need an allen socket long enough to reach in there and fully engage the bolt. I couldn't find one anywhere. So I bought an allen wrench and a matching socket. Cut the allen wrench to the proper length, and JB weld it in to the socket. Perfect.

Second, you MUST use an impact wrench. Its the shock of the impact that breaks it loose. If you just try to torque it out with a big wrench, you'll round it out. If you don't have air tools, you can get a hand impact wrench that you hit with a hammer. A very handy tool to own.

Old 06-19-2006 | 01:48 PM
mojo
|
Tourer

Thx for the replies! I have been out of town workin and couldn't reply until now. Sounds like a easy job if i have the right tools but that is probably gonna be the problem. I hate to pay to have it done but maybe i should bite the bullet..... THX mojo

Old 06-21-2006 | 12:49 PM
jkenosh
Cruiser

my 06 wide glide used a 12 mm allen head to hold the bottoms on you can buy them at sears. i would recommend taking them off the bike to do them, they look real cool when they are on much better than stock

Old 06-21-2006 | 02:07 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

I replaced the lowers on my 03 without removing the forks from the bike. I had heard about how troublesome it was to get the bolt out of the bottom, but I had no problem at all getting it out or putting it in. Didn't need an impact wrence either. You can make a seal driver from a piece of pvc pipe. I did and it worked fine. Only trouble I had with the job was getting those main caps back on. Took a couple hours and several beers for that part.

Old 06-21-2006 | 05:24 PM
JamieWG
Road Master

Polish the stock sliders and forget about replacing them. I was going to buy the chrome sliders and decided to take a shot at polishing the stock ones. Now people look at the bike and think I have chrome sliders. It takes about two hours of work, but the results are worth it.

Old 06-21-2006 | 05:46 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

Polishing them does make them look pretty darn good, for a while. They are aluminum and they oxidize quick and will need to be polished frequently. I'll take the chrome.

Old 06-21-2006 | 06:19 PM
killer.com
Cruiser

Mojo-If you replace your lowers, I would be interested in buying the stock ones if they are off of a 06 Wide Glide?? Eric

Old 06-21-2006 | 08:16 PM
mojo
|
Tourer

Eric- sorry there off a 06 low-rider. mojo

Quick Reply: replacing lower fork sliders on 06?