Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal and ghost brackets (D/U warning)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:12 PM
danktat
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Turn signal and ghost brackets (D/U warning)

So I will try to step by step this for those who ever got frustrated with this process.

I wanted to install ghost brackets but had to relocate the turn signals to do so. My issue was that I have a luggage rack on the back hole which is where the turn signal is supposed to go. My remedy was to relocate them to the side brace on the plastic license plate bracket. I used the original hardware except for the purchase of shorter bolts (3").

first I unscrewed the rear turn signal from inside the fender.

Next, I located and cut the wire leading to the turn signal, and unhooked it from the guides that kept it close to the inside of the fender

I made a makeshift template by poking two holes through a piece of paper were the two holes were that lead the wire and bolt to the turn signal in its original location (ok....kind of ghetto but it worked....lol)

I used the template to mark off the hole location in the license plate bracket and drilled it out

I used the 3 inch bolts that I got for like 85cents at home depot to replace the original bolts

Threaded my wires and bolted my turn signal into place...then I spliced the ends

Crimped the wires together using parts from a turn signal relocation kit I got from "baseman" (thanks again)

I tucked them under and wire tied them to the license plate bracket to keep them away from the rear tire. Then I did the same process to the other side. Here are a few angles of the finished result. I really don't think they look to bad where I put them.

The rest was easy as far as the install of the docking points for the brackets....just followed the directions with the kit.

And with the bracket in place

Thanks for the suggestions that I got from everyone. Maybe someone can be helped by this thread in the future if they get frustrated.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:34 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty good but I would have soldered and shrink wrapped the wires instead of crimping them. I've always had sh*tty luck with crimps.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 PM
danktat
Road Warrior

I may still end up doing that. I am also going to keep checking the bolts over the next few weeks as I didn't use any locktite.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:50 PM
'09fxdb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great...I was thinking of doing something similar with mine..I want to mount the original sigs on either side of the sparto tail light. (drill into each side of the tail light). I wonder has anyone done this yet??. or will there be too many lights in a small area.
-------
Bill

Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice job!

Old 08-16-2009, 09:17 PM
danktat
Road Warrior

I just used my old throw overs to bolt to the brackets for now. It will have to work as I have some more stuff to do to the bike first (handlebars, exhaust, detachable windshield ... etc.....). It does however give me a he11 of alot more storage now.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:47 AM
danktat
Road Warrior

I might should have put this in the $50 or less thing now that I think about it.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:56 AM
cmiller1014
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome post man... thanks for taking the time to do it. I am looking to get rid of my side license plate mount on the wide glide and do something under the fender for the plate and the lights. Otherwise I don't have many options for side plates, sissy bar, bags, etc. Problem is, the WG has that chopped fender.... so I am still limited.

I agree with the soldering suggestion though. I did commercial electronic security for 7 years and the preferred method is solder and electrical tape. Way too many problems otherwise.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:22 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job Ken, and great pix. You'll love having the storage when you need, but like one of those "Murphy's" corrolaries about bills rising to absorb all available income, your bike "necessities" will ALWAYS multiply to fill all available stowage space.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,927 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Looks nice, I like the idea. Keep an eye on the plastic bracket for cracking though. Maybe fender washers under the bolt heads for extra support.

Mike

Mike

Quick Reply: Turn signal and ghost brackets (D/U warning)