Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering the low rider.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:45 AM
dl03
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default lowering the low rider.

i really want to lower my 03 l/r. i was thinking of goin with the progressive 11" heavy duty.
i ride 2-up on weekends only. the rest of the week i ride it set-up as solo back and forth to work.
my girl and i weigh a combined 325. i'm not worried about how stiff the ride is when its just me.i'm used to it.i used to have an 04 883 cust with 10" shocks on it,but had to take them off b/c we always bottomed out.
from what i have read about the h/d shocks (heavy duty),it seems that with the setting on 3 or 4 it would be a softer ride with the both of us on the bike than it would be with it set at 1 and just me on the bike. is this a fair assumption.
also do you think i will have to move the wirring harness to the side of the fender?

i did do a search but could't find a definative answer of what i'm looking for.
thanks.
jay.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:08 AM
BlackOak
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lowering the low rider.

Wonders.....

If thats you bike pictured above, where does she sit?

Old 06-03-2006, 02:39 AM
mojo
Tourer

I think your wiring harness will be fine where it is. I would think it would have a better chance of rubbing if it was on the side

Old 06-03-2006, 07:46 AM
kzad
Advanced

The Low Rider has 11" shocks to begin with so you won't be lowering it...

Old 06-03-2006, 09:11 AM
dl03
Tourer

ORIGINAL: BlackOak

Wonders.....

If thats you bike pictured above, where does she sit?
yes thats mine.
i keep her in a temp controlled storage unit in the winter b/c i live in a condo. no shed or garage.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:14 AM
dl03
Tourer

it does not come with 11" shocks,if it did i woudln't be asking. it comes with 12" eeye to eye. trust me, i measured them just the other day.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:55 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

did you by the bike new? Only asking because stock that bike has 11" shocks .

steve

Old 06-03-2006, 10:48 AM
dl03
Tourer

ORIGINAL: intruder400ex

did you by the bike new? Only asking because stock that bike has 11" shocks .

steve
it does not come with 11" shocks stock.that much i am certain. i did buy it used.i measured them eye to eye and it was 12". not sure what stock is.pretty sure its 12". but i think i've decided to go with the 440 ias 11.5". i would love 11" 440 ias,but they don't seem to make them for my bike.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:24 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer

12" shocks on that year low rider!

Another post someone was going with lower profile tires to get it to sit down. If you want to spend a little money, the factory rake on the 03 and 04 low rider (may be others, but only years I have done it with) will let you use a 3 degree rake triple tree and still have enough trail to prevent a handling problem, can go with a mid or wide glide convertion kit, accutronix make some nice ones, and Hog pro will get you a good price on them. By sticking that front tire out a little more, it will drop the front down about 3/4" and match the drop the 11" shocks give you on the back (because they are on an angle, will be about a 3/4" drop also).

Old 06-03-2006, 02:35 PM
dl03
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ReeseSS

12" shocks on that year low rider!

Another post someone was going with lower profile tires to get it to sit down. If you want to spend a little money, the factory rake on the 03 and 04 low rider (may be others, but only years I have done it with) will let you use a 3 degree rake triple tree and still have enough trail to prevent a handling problem, can go with a mid or wide glide convertion kit, accutronix make some nice ones, and Hog pro will get you a good price on them. By sticking that front tire out a little more, it will drop the front down about 3/4" and match the drop the 11" shocks give you on the back (because they are on an angle, will be about a 3/4" drop also).
thanks for the shock confirmation reese.

if i put 3 degree raked trees on it are u sure that there will be no trail issues. b/c i would love to put 49 mm tubes with 3 d-trees on it.
how can i find out for sure. i'm not doughting ur knowledge,but i want to be sure and safe. lol.
thanks jay

Quick Reply: lowering the low rider.