Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine vibration ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009 | 12:13 AM
amish
|
Road Captain
Default engine vibration ?

i reantly got my 5000 mile service done. a little while before i went in for the service i was getting a terriable vibration to my feet. It was so bad they would almost go numb after a few miles. Never did this before. I went in for my service told then and they said my motor mount was loose, so they tightned it up and they said it was fine. Wheni left the shop it was still just barley there but is now gwetting bad again. So i guess my question is do you think i might need to replace the motor mounts since they are rubber mount and would of streched the mounts. Also they never told me which one was loose. Any help would be great
Thanks

Old 08-16-2009 | 12:51 AM
paulies 07
Road Captain

They should have written which one was loose on your invoice? or you can call them and ask, did you check them yourself?

Old 08-16-2009 | 07:32 AM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Old 08-16-2009 | 08:51 AM
expy
Road Captain

amish, I have seen another case where the bike was ridden just long enough with loose motor mount bolts that it fatigued the threads. This made it impossible to keep them tight.The mount and bolts had to be replaced.

Old 08-27-2009 | 06:28 PM
rockerrendell
Intermediate

i have a 1995 fxdl and i have some vibration between 12k-20k rpms. as they go up it smooths out. is this fairly normal vibration or should i be doing the same thing these guys have done? as one guy said i dont want to screw it up worse. i currently dont have a torque wrench either. its not unridable but if i could minimalize it more that would be great. if its suppose to be like that then i dont want to screw with it. i just dont know whats normal and what needs attention. this is my first big twin and is quite a bit different than my sportster. the procedure sounds easy but im affraid of making it worse or causing myself a real problem. the vibration was worse untill i cleaned my hypercharger air filter and put in 93 oct gas. it does run a bit better from that alone but vibration still happening when the rpms come down as i slow down. idling isnt bad. if i have to ride at low rpms it is vibrating a bit. but since its my first big twin i dont know if thats normal or excessive.

Old 08-27-2009 | 06:36 PM
dstonemega
Tourer

Originally Posted by rockerrendell
i have a 1995 fxdl and i have some vibration between 12k-20k rpms.

Damn! What kinda engine you got?

Old 08-27-2009 | 06:51 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

Hey rockerrendell, 12k rpm's is a bit high, do you mean 1,200 rpm's and 2,000 rpm's? put some new plugs in after you gap them to .040", also run some seafoam carb/fuel cleaner in the fuel. Probably about 3 or 4 ozs, per tank full. The big twin rubber mounted have some vibes in them but tend to smooth out at speed, don't lug the engine that could make the vibs more pronounced.

Old 08-27-2009 | 07:20 PM
rockerrendell
Intermediate

i bet you can tell this bike is also my first with a tach. its between 10-20 on the tach, whatever that equals. i thought rps were in the 1000s. do i run the seafoam all the time or just for a while to clean the gunk out? ive never had to think about this kind of stuff with my sporty. the vib may be normal i just dont know. just so im clear, what do you mean by "lug the engine? that may be what im doing. too high gear at too low of speed/rpm. i.e. using 3rd gear to go 25-30 mph instead of 2nd gear. im still getting used to how ride the bigger bike. i like to do as much of my own wrenching as possible that way i know whats what. at moment im straightening out anything ive discovered to be "mickey moused" and correct them. i believe my spark plugs are standard hd ones. are there a better plug to use? i live in small farm town and wal-mart dont carry any of the ones i found listed as equivallents to them. havent been to the auto stores yet. ive put a little over 100 miles on it since i got it registered last week. we have benefit this saturday and im doing what i can afford to do before then. right now im not working and money is tight so i cant just take it in for some servicing. i will be getting a clymers manual as soon as i can swing it, or should i get the hd manual? i do appreciate any imput and advice.

Old 08-27-2009 | 07:49 PM
Arcane
Road Master

Get the HD service manual for your year and model of bike. The Clymers manual would be nice to have also but the factory manual is just about a requirement if you want to do your own work.

Old 08-27-2009 | 07:59 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

Apologies to "Amish" for hijacking this thread. A couple of hintsTry to maintain 2200 rpms when riding, moving, this will help the charging system maintain the battery charge. Which leads to the possibility that your are in too high of a gear for the speed. If your bike has the 1340 Evo engine then a good replacement plug could be a Champion RN12YC, a 1450 TC88 would take a Champion RA8HC, that's the vendor for HD's plugs. Understand no job=tight budget.

Quick Reply: engine vibration ?