Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding 2 up

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:25 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Riding 2 up

On mine I usually will put 40 psi in the rear tire for longer trips (whatever the service manual says for 2 up) and adjust the shocks.
I'm at 270 and the wife (well I can't say..) but you should be fine.
You may need to warn her about slowing down and stopping though so her face doesn't hit the back of your helmet.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:17 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use the info below and plug in your weight of 240 and the wifes 185...
I used the info from page 33 in the owners manual took weight as shipped from the factory 634 pounds and subtracted that figure from the GVWR figure which is 1085 pounds the subtracted figure is 451 pounds. You said your weight was 240 pounds, I subtracted 240 from 451 and ended up with 211 pounds.... your wife's 185 subtracted from 211 leaves only 26 pounds for your accessories The rear axle GAWR can support 695 pounds, so your within specs for your weight.. you still need to figure in your accessories in the rear..Also, there's a typo in the manual.. Any one reading this please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong wouldn't the first time I was wrong... lol

Geeeezzzz...As far as your combined weight.. you guys are midgets compared to some peeps I've seen riding... CYA..

Old 06-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Bradley
Cruiser

I've always told my wife to just sit up straight on the bike. It helps if you have a sissy bar, so she can just put it in the middle of her back and stay there. Tell her not to lean at all or as little as possible. You lean the bike and there are no suprise movements from her. Piece of cake. The only thing is braking. The bike will not stop NEARLY as fast as it does with just you on it. So increase your following distances and make other adjustments accordingly. Its really no big deal. Just take it easy.[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 06-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Protrucker
Tourer

ORIGINAL: WgSkee

Use the info below and plug in your weight of 240 and the wifes 185...
I used the info from page 33 in the owners manual took weight as shipped from the factory 634 pounds and subtracted that figure from the GVWR figure which is 1085 pounds the subtracted figure is 451 pounds. You said your weight was 240 pounds, I subtracted 240 from 451 and ended up with 211 pounds.... your wife's 185 subtracted from 211 leaves only 26 pounds for your accessories The rear axle GAWR can support 695 pounds, so your within specs for your weight.. you still need to figure in your accessories in the rear..Also, there's a typo in the manual.. Any one reading this please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong wouldn't the first time I was wrong... lol

Geeeezzzz...As far as your combined weight.. you guys are midgets compared to some peeps I've seen riding... CYA..
That 634 pounds you refer to is the dry weight. You need to use the "running order" weight of 667 pounds. That would only leave 7 pounds for accessories, but these numbers probably have a large safety margin built in.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:04 AM
WgSkee
Road Captain

Hmmmm.... Been wrong before... GVWR isn't a wet figure? HD defination of GVWR is the sum of the weight of the motorcycle, accessories, and the maximum weight of the rider, passenger and cargo that can be safely carried... Actually gas weighs depending on temperture between 5.8 to 6.5 pounds so 4.7 gals at 6.5 pounds weighs 30.55 pounds and the oil weighs a couple of pounds so your additional 33 pounds could be right I think there is a margin of safety built in... So no big deal anyway..

Old 06-06-2006, 01:13 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. We got 'er dun! I was more nervous than her I think. When its just me on the bike I don't worry so much about myself. With her I was pretty stressed but took it easy and did well. Rode for about an hour. Wanted to get a good feel. Bike does seem a little top heavy with all the added weight. Can't imagine taking a long trip loaded down with her aboard. Guess I'll have to buy her a Road King Thanks again.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:35 PM
snackdog
Intermediate

I weigh about 200 and my wife weighs about 250. On my street bob, I think we scraped the wires to the rear turn signals which run under the fender. How do you adjust the preload on a street bob or is that not possible?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

atrox88

not to hijack.but that is one good looking scoot you have .

Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 PM
freebyrd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lean with you? i always tell my passengers who haven't riddin before to just sit there and let me do all the leaning and steering, that wrong?
but anyway i am about 175 and the wife 155, and the only thing i notice with the added weight is the tranny takes a little more time to wind out through the gears with a load on,
freebyrd

Old 08-06-2007, 11:59 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife rides with me a lot, I'm about 185, shes 125. I put 40lbs in the rear tire and preset the shocks to no. 4 ( settings are 1-5 on my stock rear shocks). We run fine this way. But,I was thinking of preload setting to 5 for the trip ( 2000 mi)including bags ( another 30lbs) Maybe I am over setting the shocks??

Quick Reply: Riding 2 up