Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle EFI Race Tuner Feedback Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 12:23 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Screamin Eagle EFI Race Tuner Feedback Needed

I have a 2006 88 Twin Cam Street Bob and am in need of a Tuner. Has anybody used this tuner and are there any downfalls to this unit? I was aloso considering the Vance and Hines FuelPak because of its flexibility and no interface needed tuning abilities,however Screamin Eagle is a Harley Davidson Division and I like that. Let me know your opinions and experiences with any other tuners. Ideally I want to be able to tune my own bike to suit me, rather than pay someone to tune it on a dyno and a computer. I miss the Carbs! I currently have Short Shots and a air filter, maybe a Pro R hypercharger is in my future mods for now. 96 or 98 inches maybe..... Well lets just stick to the tuner info for now. Thank You all for the help and I really do appreciate your help.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:42 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of reading here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-injection-55/

and here:

https://www.hdforums.com.au/Default....ics&forumid=27

Search for SERT

Lots of ways to tinker. With a SERT, and others, I think you need a dyno to measure how well you did with your tune... or it can be done by feel. MasterTune collects data while you ride and includes a software program that makes it easy to adjust and update the MAPS. Takes some time and you need to be comfortable around a laptop. PCV with self tuner and Thundermax (Zippers) add hardware to the bike and do all the tuning themselves. There are variations, and one size does not fits all. Plenty of good reports on all the systems, complaints being more with hardware or connection failures.

The MasterTune (TTS) which I'm more familiar with, will let you toy and pretty much have complete control over timing and fuel delivery (a narrower range closed loop). Then either ride or use some dyno time to see the effect. It is an upgraded SERT system.

I think with any system, if you want the best tune, hire a shop to do it for you, but otherwise look at TTS.

More reading here:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/m...i_upgrades.htm

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/m...efi_basics.htm

Last edited by ColdCase; 08-08-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:45 PM
magforce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that tuner on my 07 dyna low rider, with vance and hines big radius 2 and screaming eagle intake, works great for me.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hey Magforce

So did you just plug it in and go??

Old 08-09-2009, 09:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the old style SERT V477 on my bike. It runs good but I think the TTS Mastertune system that is out now is the best. The old SERT was made by Mastertune for HD and the new one has a very good self tune feature. I don't know if it is backwards compatible to the 06 models though.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,110 Likes on 2,120 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I have the old style SERT V477 on my bike. It runs good but I think the TTS Mastertune system that is out now is the best. The old SERT was made by Mastertune for HD and the new one has a very good self tune feature. I don't know if it is backwards compatible to the 06 models though.

how about some more details on the so called *self tune* feature..

self tune??

thanks
mud

Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 AM
chesterman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest difference I've seen is the versitility of the tuners. Some like the V&H are great for canned maps. Some others like the Screamin Eagle products give you the ability to run a canned map or customize it to your specific build. Another thing to remember is that there is a difference between the SE Race Tuner and SE Super Tuner. While a dyno run is a good idea with any tuner, it's not necessary with some tuners. The Super Tuner has a little red record button on it that allows you record the same info you would get off of a dyno while riding on the street and download it and analyze it after the fact. The Race Tuner has a record function but it doesn't have the same kind of on board memory and needs to be hooked up to a computer to record. Off course, if you don't fully understand the data that you are reading and what affects the changes to your map are going to have then it's best to have a pro look at it.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by parts eeter
The SERT is software that once installed on the bike is married to THAT bike forever and ever. New bike = new SERT. They cost $400 or so, right?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mudpuddle
how about some more details on the so called *self tune* feature..

self tune??

thanks
mud

The Mastertune TTS includes a tool that analyzes data recorded during riding, determines the VE for each cylinder, and provides revised maps to load. Where something like the SERT or SEST will record the data but you analyze it and make adjustments.

I think this answers what you were asking Mud

Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by parts eeter
The SERT/SEST and TTS all have an interface module you plug into the Bike's diagnostic port and send the program the bike from a laptop. Then you unplug the module and go. Nothing is left on the bike. The module is maried to the bike and there is no divorce court. The software on the laptop is not, you can install it on any PC and work with your data. You can think of the software is free but you need this $400 ($600 for two) module to make it work. So if you have a friend, you could share a TTS system for $300 each.

One of the disadvantages of the TTS and the old SERT is that if you want to collect data to make a better tune than the canned maps you need to keep the laptop connected, strapped to a luggage rack or in a bag. With the new SEST you can leave the module installed tucked away and record data, then download it to the laptop later.

There are other higher cost systems that will also collect data on the run.

Next month there will be something new.....

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle EFI Race Tuner Feedback Needed