Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your rear belt sprocket!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009 | 06:51 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

I think if you look at page 2-13 of the 07 Dyna manual it says to replace the sprocket bolts if they are removed. Since you have already had them come loose, I would replace them.
Originally Posted by zoopman
Was out riding and a loud sqeaking noise could be heard--on and off at different speads. When I got home I put the bike up on a jack and found that all the bolts on the rear sprocket were loose and one was just about to fall out hitting the upper belt guard making the sqeaking noise. Well of course I used locktite and re-torqued to specks.

I am glad this was caught early as I think this could have been a disaster! While I don't think this situation would be a common occurance --you guys may want to check for tightness on that rear sprocket at least every oil and/or tire change.

Bike is a 07 FXD with 18000 miles---Thought I'd share this with you guys--I don't want this to happen to any other fellow riders.

Old 08-20-2009 | 07:44 PM
Ky Windage
Cruiser

HoosierHarley, you should re-think using stainless bolts. They're not hardened.
You should use grade 5, or if thats not good enough, get grade 8.

I used to build million dollar machines, and stainless bolts of that size, you could twist the heads off.
I mean you could probably torque them to specs, but they won't have great shearing strength.

Old 08-20-2009 | 08:24 PM
r00k
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ky Windage

I used to build million dollar machines, and stainless bolts of that size, you could twist the heads off.
I mean you could probably torque them to specs, but they won't have great shearing strength.
I wish i had a machine that made million dollars.

Old 08-20-2009 | 09:07 PM
A-10 KChawg
Tourer

I talked to the stealer last year when I was getting my rims powdered about getting new bolts as the manual suggests. He said I could reuse the old ones with loctite and torque to specs. He said the reason Harley recommends this is because the new come with some sort of loctite already on them. THis ensures people don't just put the old bolts back (w/o loctite) which leads to the bolts backing out.

!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT QUOTE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's just what I heard.

Old 08-20-2009 | 09:14 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by A-10 KChawg
I talked to the stealer last year when I was getting my rims powdered about getting new bolts as the manual suggests. He said I could reuse the old ones with loctite and torque to specs. He said the reason Harley recommends this is because the new come with some sort of loctite already on them. THis ensures people don't just put the old bolts back (w/o loctite) which leads to the bolts backing out.

!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT QUOTE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's just what I heard.
I just couldn't help myself.

Old 08-20-2009 | 10:18 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gary7
i just couldn't help myself.
lol!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2009 | 03:18 AM
HoosierHarley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ky Windage

I think I will go with the grade 8 option. I dont want to go through this again. it was a costly ordeal!!!

Old 08-21-2009 | 07:00 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

Spoke to an HD engineer one evening over a beer. His explanation on this is these bolts have an applied thread locker that is not lock tite but a coating that better resists vibration and centrifugal force, when they are removed the bolt is over torqued due to this coating. These bolts due have a shear rating low enough so if they do back out and hit the swing arm they shear and resist locking up the rear wheel this is why they recommend replacement when removed as the coating is damaged and the bolt has been streched during removal. It seems that most of the people having a problem have had these bolts removed at one time (why anyone would remove for a simple tire change is hard to understand) Please dont flame me I am just passing on what he said but, I have religously checked mine every 1,000 miles for 15,000 miles and have not seen them come loose however I will continue to do this.

Old 08-21-2009 | 07:20 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

I reused mine. I ran a tap through the threads and cleaned them up some, applied red lock tite to the bolts and torque them back to spec. Been about 8000 miles and I have not had an issue yet. Following the advice of someone on this forum I marked the bolts so I could visually verify they were not backing out before I ride. If I have to remove the pulley again I will replace the bolts, but with either new or reused bolts I would think cleaning the threads in the wheel before reinstalling the bolts would help stop some of these issues.

Old 08-21-2009 | 07:47 AM
obonaven
Road Master

I had it happen to me. No damage as I caught in just in time. But I now check them on a reg basis to make sure it does not happen again. There is enough people having htis issue that even if it never happen to me I'd check on a reg basis.

I warned a couple of people, one who actually had loose bolts, but no where as loose as mine were.

Quick Reply: Check your rear belt sprocket!