Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 AM
fedwa001
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 mile service?

OK guys and gals I am in need of a lil help! I have rode my 09 FXCD past the 1000 mile service by 250 miles. I realize it is important to keep up with maintenance, but as hard times have hit I just can't bring myself to spend the money on the bike when there are other things more important. Don't get me wrong I can still aford my payments and insurance. But with school starting kids need new things like cloths and such. Any way can anyone tell me what's involved in the 1000 mile service (I can't run out and buy an 80 book today but want to try to do the service this weekend) Maybe I'm just being cheap. Don't be too hard on my folks I'm just a blue collar guy in need of a lil help.

AIR CAV

Old 08-07-2009, 09:59 AM
WhiteSS
Advanced

I feel the same way you do. I can do the fluid changes myself but I would rather have the dealer do at least the first service so they can go over the bike and check for improper wear. i wouldn't risk the thousand dollar bike on one couple hundred dollar service.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 AM
sarge40
Road Master

I'd say that a first service should be done before 1000 miles to get out the crap thats in the oil from breaking the engine in. At a minimum, get the fluids changed out. The 1000 mile service also entails some checking of belts and wear and stuff, but ya gotta get that fluid changed out ASAP.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recommend being cheap here with the 1000mile service. Besides the fluid changes, etc., the bike needs a good looking over.....your life is at stake while riding. Also, I think you need it to maintain the 2-year warranty.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:29 AM
fedwa001
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Man O'War
I don't recommend being cheap here with the 1000mile service. Besides the fluid changes, etc., the bike needs a good looking over.....your life is at stake while riding. Also, I think you need it to maintain the 2-year warranty.
My warranty isn't thru Harley its thru overseas military cars sales. I think yall are right I should get it done just dont have the money right now. Does the service manual have the inspections outlined in it. I work on helicopters for a living and I am used to very detailed inspection criteria. Maybe I can find a service manual on sale somewhere.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:33 AM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The main thing is to get New fluid's. You can do it with no problem. Do a search on this site and others and you will get a step by step post. Besides the fluids you need to check for loose nuts and bolts. The most important thing in the 1000 service is the fluids to get any break in metal out. You will need to pick up a new filter, 3 quarts of the right oil,a new o ring and a gasket for your derby cover. You could most likely reuse the derby cover gasket. You can also take your o ring down to lowes and get 5 for the price HD wants for one of theirs. You can do this and have beer money left over and know it;s done right.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fedwa001
My warranty isn't thru Harley its thru overseas military cars sales. I think yall are right I should get it done just dont have the money right now. Does the service manual have the inspections outlined in it. I work on helicopters for a living and I am used to very detailed inspection criteria. Maybe I can find a service manual on sale somewhere.
The Service Manual all but walks you right through the 1000-mile service procedure; the 5,000-mile service is almost identical. There are a few things added to the later services but all follow the same routine.

Last edited by Arcane; 08-07-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 AM
fedwa001
Cruiser

Ok cool thanks for the info SuperGlide Ill look up the stuff I need

Old 08-07-2009, 11:22 AM
JohnAE
Cruiser

I thought about posting this information I got from a dealer when I purchased the supplies for my upcoming 1,000 mile service. Oil filter of course but they DID NOT recommend using synthetic oil at this point. Said there could be service problems if you went to syn. on first and possibly second oil change. Syn. oil is so slippery that it prevents proper break in wear esp. with the roller crank bearings. They said that when Harley first came out with the syn. oil they took it off the market within a few months because to many people with new bikes were coming in with bearing problems. They really recommended waiting until the second or even third oil change before using syn. oil in the engine, trans. and clutch. This was from a dealer that is in the business of making money and they recommended the less expensive dyno oil that is made for the engine, the trans. and clutch so you can save money by buying 3 quarts of engine oil and 2 quarts of the oil for trans. and clutch. As per the owners manual, you can reuse the oil rings if they are not damaged. The other 1,000 mile maintenance procedures involve checking the bike to make sure everything is attached and aligned. Keep recipts for warrenty.

BTW they warned that I should be careful to not overtighten the drain plugs. Only 10-15 ft. lbs. In the future if you use syn. oil then they also told me that Mobil 1 and Harley syn. is the same oil. They got a box of Harley oil once that was filled with Mobil 1. Don't know if Mobil 1 is less expensive but will find out before a future oil change.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 PM
fedwa001
Cruiser

damn im not finding and step by step instructions for the fluid changes

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service?