Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:20 PM
fedwa001
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry just found it in the tech area

Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 PM
panic_fan
Tourer

Originally Posted by Arcane
The Service Manual all but walks you right through the 1000-mile service procedure; the 5,000-mile service is almost identical. There are a few things added to the later services but all follow the same routine.
+1 It oulines all the steps and anybody that can read (carefully) and turn a torque wrench can do it without a problem. The only special tool needed is the drive belt tension thingy. Run it by a dealer for a 5 minute check or you can use the quarter-turn method. Keep your receipts and your warranty is fine.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:55 PM
thegov3
Advanced

Originally Posted by fedwa001
....Don't get me wrong I can still aford my payments and insurance. But with school starting kids need new things like cloths and such.
AIR CAV

Man I feel for you. I just paid $650 for school "fees" for my two kids. Add to that school clothes (teenage boy and girl) and you can wipe out any extra cash in a hurry.

Isn't it amazing how much "free" public education costs?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:42 AM
fedwa001
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thegov3
Man I feel for you. I just paid $650 for school "fees" for my two kids. Add to that school clothes (teenage boy and girl) and you can wipe out any extra cash in a hurry.

Isn't it amazing how much "free" public education costs?
yea we enrolled the kiddos yesterday and the damage wasn't as bad as what you paied but man i remember going to school and all My folks had to pay for was lunch.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnAE
I thought about posting this information I got from a dealer when I purchased the supplies for my upcoming 1,000 mile service. Oil filter of course but they DID NOT recommend using synthetic oil at this point. Said there could be service problems if you went to syn. on first and possibly second oil change. Syn. oil is so slippery that it prevents proper break in wear esp. with the roller crank bearings. They said that when Harley first came out with the syn. oil they took it off the market within a few months because to many people with new bikes were coming in with bearing problems.
Total BS. The CVO bikes come with synthetic oil in them from the factory.

You can safely put any commercially available synthetic bike oil in your motor at the first oil change with no problems.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:11 AM
JohnAE
Cruiser

As far as using synthetic oil on first oil change you can do whatever you want. I just related what a Harley tech. told me. If it is total BS thats fine but as for me I'll take his advice since using dyno oil will work just fine and is less expensive. Might change to synthetic at some point but if you want to save money there is no need to use synthetic.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:42 AM
txtec
Banned

I thought about posting this information I got from a dealer when I purchased the supplies for my upcoming 1,000 mile service. Oil filter of course but they DID NOT recommend using synthetic oil at this point. Said there could be service problems if you went to syn. on first and possibly second oil change. Syn. oil is so slippery that it prevents proper break in wear esp. with the roller crank bearings. They said that when Harley first came out with the syn. oil they took it off the market within a few months because to many people with new bikes were coming in with bearing problems. They really recommended waiting until the second or even third oil change before using syn. oil in the engine, trans. and clutch. This was from a dealer that is in the business of making money and they recommended the less expensive dyno oil that is made for the engine, the trans. and clutch so you can save money by buying 3 quarts of engine oil and 2 quarts of the oil for trans. and clutch. As per the owners manual, you can reuse the oil rings if they are not damaged. The other 1,000 mile maintenance procedures involve checking the bike to make sure everything is attached and aligned. Keep recipts for warrenty.

BTW they warned that I should be careful to not overtighten the drain plugs. Only 10-15 ft. lbs. In the future if you use syn. oil then they also told me that Mobil 1 and Harley syn. is the same oil. They got a box of Harley oil once that was filled with Mobil 1. Don't know if Mobil 1 is less expensive but will find out before a future oil change.
the cvo bikes come with syn3 in them,dealer full if chit.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW they warned that I should be careful to not overtighten the drain plugs. Only 10-15 ft. lbs. In the future if you use syn. oil then they also told me that Mobil 1 and Harley syn. is the same oil. They got a box of Harley oil once that was filled with Mobil 1. Don't know if Mobil 1 is less expensive but will find out before a future oil change.
I missed this little tid-bit. You need to find another dealer because this guy clearly knows absolutely nothing when it comes to oil. Syn3 is made by Citgo, as are all Harley lubricants.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:17 PM
fedwa001
Cruiser

OK boys and girls I looked around on this website and found no specific info on the fluid changes. So I had to call around to 5 different dealerships finnaly found one 2 hours away in lawrence kansas who has a service manual in stock. Its a good excuse to ride i guess. Wish me luck and ill let everyone know how it goes. Oh any suggestions on fluid types

Old 08-08-2009, 02:20 PM
lp johnny
Road Captain

if you have an owners manual...all the info on oil changes and fluid types are in there

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service?