Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Wide Glide Owners - Let's keep track of our mods....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Chief Razorback
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USMAMule
Did you take your mini sissy bar/grab bar off yourself? Could you describe the process if you did? I tried but the tolerances are so tight on the bolts holding the rear turn signals on I can't get them past the tire. The only thing I could think was to put the bike on a lift to unspring the weight and thus lower the rear wheel. Of course I don't HAVE a lift. LOL

Anyone else done this themselves?

USMAMULE
I took mine off without a lift and installed the docking hardware while in the process. I was originally just romoving the sissy bar but since I had to cut the signal wires to remove it, I decided to do the docking hardware while I was at it. Once you cut the signal wires, the turn signal will pull away from the fender support so the bolt doesn't need clearance from the tire.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 Wide Glide Owners - Let's keep track of our mods....-dscf1287.jpg  
Old 06-27-2010, 11:53 AM
pcbunn
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI..for those of you with " wire cutters gone wild", you can just disconnect the turn signal wires under the seat!
Name:  P1000667.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  120.5 KB

Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Chief Razorback
Tourer

Originally Posted by pcbunn
FYI..for those of you with " wire cutters gone wild", you can just disconnect the turn signal wires under the seat!
Not if you're doing the turn signal relocation for quick detach without the saddlebags. That kit requires the wires to thread through the rear docking point which does not have room for the pins or even the outer sheath on the wires to fit through. I had to lube the individual wires just to get them through. Your saddlebag relocation kit actually relocates the signals so your "non-cutting" method works.

Last edited by Chief Razorback; 06-27-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Jfish84
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mod List

I am new to this forum since I just purchased my first Harley. Here is my parts list for my 2010 Wide Glide.

So far I have installed:
Black Diamond grips, pegs, shift peg, gas cap and rear brake pad.
Black axle nut covers front and back.
Finned derby and timing cover.
Smoked front turn signals.

I am waiting on the black Screamin Eagle slip on and heat shield to come in. It is currently on back order.

I have other plans, but since I have only had it for two weeks, I am just enjoying the ride right now.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:08 PM
pcbunn
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Chief for the clarification. Would like to see the finished assembly when you get it done. Just when I think I know something, somebody comes along and proves me wrong..."I know nothing" is going to be my new mantra!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:35 PM
exitinyourhead
Cruiser

Originally Posted by clanbear
How did you do the move of the plate? You mentioned making another one or something.
Actually it's very easy. Hopefully I can explain well enough. You remove the stock bracket from the strut. Then take a piece of stock steel from home depot and drill four holes in it. Two to bolt the stock steel to the original strut where the plate bracket used to be and 2 more further back to bolt the bracket to. Just kind of makes an extension. How far back and how long you cut the bar just depends on what size bag you are putting on. I had to do a 6 inch steel bar for the original garage leather bag, but cut it down about 2 inches for the big bag.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Burndog
Windshields, Oversized seats, Bags.... Looks like many people got caught up with the cool look of the WG but would have been better suited for a Road King.

Equally good argument to use a trailer. Though many purists frown on that (not that I care).

Sorry to go off topic but can't help thinking I better start saving for a touring version also...

Man if you dont like the windsheild, bags and big seat on your WG, fine, suffer dude, but dont dis those who use them.

To the guy wanting a windsheild for the Sturgis trip, Dude, buy a GOOD Quick detatch Windsheild, cause by the time you get back home, you will be liking it so much you wont ever want to take it off.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:54 AM
billjoat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Burndog
Windshields, Oversized seats, Bags.... Looks like many people got caught up with the cool look of the WG but would have been better suited for a Road King.

Sorry to go off topic but can't help thinking I better start saving for a touring version also...

Very good point. "I" thought I was buying the Wide Glide for "me" and it turns out I was buying it for "we". I should have bought a RK, an EG, or UG. I love the flexibility I have now though, after much money that I can ride with or w/o a fat touring seat, w or w/o a windshield(most likely with), with or without bags(mostly without). Thought of buying a full dressed ultraglide also but don't really like the seating position near as well as the WG.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 AM
billjoat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by billjoat
Very good point. "I" thought I was buying the Wide Glide for "me" and it turns out I was buying it for "we". I should have bought a RK, an EG, or UG. I love the flexibility I have now though, after much money that I can ride with or w/o a fat touring seat, w or w/o a windshield(most likely with), with or without bags(mostly without). Thought of buying a full dressed ultraglide also but don't really like the seating position near as well as the WG.

Besides, Now I have all the power I need on a lighter frame with a great seating position thats easily a quick-change artist. Today its the bare bones look. Pretty much back to factory without the passenegr seat. Oh and of course, the windshield. My jowls flap too much in the wind!! :-)

Old 06-28-2010, 05:59 AM
billjoat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pcbunn

Pretty and CLEAN!!

Quick Reply: 2010 Wide Glide Owners - Let's keep track of our mods....