Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Wide Glide Owners - Let's keep track of our mods....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:21 PM
billjoat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arggggg!!! The light relocation kit is proving to be a bear. The taillamps are threaded on a 5/16 hollow bolt with ""maybe" enough room to run the 3 wires through it. No room for any chafe guard, tape, anything to help prevent any problem from squeeeeeeezing 3 wires through such a tight space. The side mount license plate holder is held on to the frame with 2 screws that are heavy duty lock tited on. After stripping out the pitiful torx heads on the bolts, took the sawzall and cut the heads off. Took a vise-grip to the remaning bolt and still couldn't get it to break free!! I think H_D meant for it to stay! If I can get the wiring run through the rear relocate pece, it shouldn't take more than an hour or 2 to install it, run the wires and set-up the bags.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 PM
CQCBlades
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billjoat
Arggggg!!! The light relocation kit is proving to be a bear. The taillamps are threaded on a 5/16 hollow bolt with ""maybe" enough room to run the 3 wires through it. No room for any chafe guard, tape, anything to help prevent any problem from squeeeeeeezing 3 wires through such a tight space. The side mount license plate holder is held on to the frame with 2 screws that are heavy duty lock tited on. After stripping out the pitiful torx heads on the bolts, took the sawzall and cut the heads off. Took a vise-grip to the remaning bolt and still couldn't get it to break free!! I think H_D meant for it to stay! If I can get the wiring run through the rear relocate pece, it shouldn't take more than an hour or 2 to install it, run the wires and set-up the bags.
Not sure if they used Red Locktite, but if they did - heating up the screws with a soldering gun will release them. Very interested in seeing the installation instructions or photos of the install.

thanks,

Greg

Old 10-09-2009, 09:36 PM
t3h_clap
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any pics of the kit? I'm curious to see what's all included. The Harley "Stock" photos aren't the greatest. When you get a chance of course, no hurry.

-T3h_:clap:

Old 10-10-2009, 04:39 AM
billjoat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CQCBlades
Not sure if they used Red Locktite, but if they did - heating up the screws with a soldering gun will release them. Very interested in seeing the installation instructions or photos of the install.

thanks,

Greg

I'll shoot some pic tonight but the instructions are here:

http://www.box.net/shared/ij5r2u3vil

and here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/5575441-post1.html when you get here look for 68544-10

and here's the instructions for the bags I have:
https://www.shop.harley-davidson-ros...s/90181-08.pdf

Last edited by billjoat; 10-10-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:55 AM
billjoat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by t3h_clap
Any pics of the kit? I'm curious to see what's all included. The Harley "Stock" photos aren't the greatest. When you get a chance of course, no hurry.

-T3h_:clap:
Here ya go man. For all the trouble its been so far, I'm SURE!! I'll like the look better than the side mount plate!!

See the tiny hole in the side picture of the attachment point? Got to put three wires through it with chafing the wires. !!!!!!!!!!!!! I fear its going to be a long, frustrating day at work today

Attached Thumbnails 2010 Wide Glide Owners - Let's keep track of our mods....-000_0102.jpg   2010 Wide Glide Owners - Let's keep track of our mods....-000_0104.jpg   2010 Wide Glide Owners - Let's keep track of our mods....-000_0105.jpg   2010 Wide Glide Owners - Let's keep track of our mods....-000_0106.jpg  
Old 10-10-2009, 05:00 AM
billjoat
Cruiser

Oh yeah, I did already run the plate light wire. It was easy . Had a larger hole to use and only 2 wires. I feel that to make it work, I'll burn up much wire in getting three clean wires in the bracket, then I'll cut the wires sent in the kit and solder them together to fit in the light housing itself. That'll be tough also.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:06 AM
billjoat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CQCBlades

thanks,

Greg
Not really sure what they used. Here's the remnany picture of it though. I may take it to work today and see if my mechanics and get them out with destroying the bracket.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 Wide Glide Owners - Let's keep track of our mods....-000_0108.jpg  
Old 10-10-2009, 05:14 AM
billjoat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
. I learned something I did not know, that the switch is mounted to the console. .

Is this going to be able to work in your application without too much modification?

Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 AM
billjoat
Cruiser

Here ya go man. For all the trouble its been so far, I'm SURE!! I'll like the look better than the side mount plate!!

See the tiny hole in the side picture of the attachment point? Got to put three wires through it with chafing the wires. !!!!!!!!!!!!! I fear its going to be a long, frustrating day at work today

WOOHOO!!!!!! Got one side done. I'll explain later BUT now I know it can be done!!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:23 AM
CQCBlades
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOOHOO!!!!!! Got one side done. I'll explain later BUT now I know it can be done!!
Congrats!

I think heating the old screws with a soldering iron for 2 minutes a piece would remove any doubt on the loctite and couldn't hurt anything AFAIK.

Good luck on the rest of it.

Greg

Quick Reply: 2010 Wide Glide Owners - Let's keep track of our mods....