Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd time inner primary bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009 | 04:37 AM
jasonyankees
|
Advanced
Default 2nd time inner primary bearing

My inner primary bearing went again for the second time. It went last year ( under warrenty) at 13,000 miles. Took a trip last week to Cooperstown MLB Hall of fame, when I was pulling off my exit on the GSP i could hear the whine again. 18000 miles and the dealer says they wont cover it. Have to call the MOCO today so I can hear them say they wont cover it either.

Old 08-06-2009 | 09:21 AM
harley1005
Tourer
Default Inner Primary Bearing

I have an '06 Street Bob and my first Inner Primary Bearing went out some where around 8,000 miles. My second one went at just over 18,000 miles. Luckly my bike is still under extended warranty. Here is what the H-D Shop did when they changed mine out the second time: They also put in the latest up graded automatic primary chain tensioner. All I can say at this time is... The up dated tensioner has taken the whine out of the primary chain. Therefore I'm sure it is reducing the pressure on the inner primary bearing and should extend its life. I would highly recommend going to the latest up dated Primary chain tensioner and I believe this may cure your problem with the bearing.

Attached Thumbnails 2nd time inner primary bearing-user53308_pic1637_1218241225.jpg  
Old 08-06-2009 | 04:35 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
From: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

Read my IPB threads ! ! ! HD SHOULD cover it AND give you the "Full Monty Fix". You've got a problem-child '06 like so many of us. I got new bearing, tranny case, IPCase, etc., and HD paid the bill this last May, 2nd failure. Educate yourself on this issue! Have a copy of the pink letter in front of you when you call Milwaukee. Be pleasant, don't yell, threaten or cuss. All the info you should need is in my "Finally. Good News..." thread from 5/6/09; read it before you do anything else. Also read any links in it. Make sure you have 'em closely inspect your rotor while they're in there (the other '06 issue). Good luck; PM me if you need any more info/ammo.

Old 08-06-2009 | 05:13 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
From: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

Just bumped my old thread to the top, and added copies of the two related letters. That first one is your bread & butter; it's a de facto admission that they know there's an issue with the '06 IPB's.

Old 08-06-2009 | 08:12 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior

See... this scares he hell out of me. 07 WG with bearings (all 3) replaced at 10K and whining again at 12K with 1 month left on warranty!

Old 08-06-2009 | 08:36 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master

IPB on wife's 06 Street Bob went at around 13k, still under warranty, local dealer (not selling dealer) took care of it no problem. 2 weeks ago (2 years + out of warranty) same dealer replaced bearing again no questions, we brought in the copy of our letter received at time of purchase (Aug 05). The dealer did not do any of the upgrade type things (new cases etc) but at least they went to bat for us with the factory...I've read and re-read the letter; all I can say is the factory best not ever give us **** about this issue....I got a lawyer who's practically drooling over this one. BTW, her stator went 10 days out of warranty (2 years ago) while we were down in Tn for the national rally....now we keep hearing this is a known and ongoing issue...perhaps I need to investigate further...

Old 08-07-2009 | 03:01 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member

Troll;

When/if it goes again, call Customer Service in Milwaukee instead of going to your [helpful] dealer for another bearing/race. This is an alignment issue, and unless they get the [non-dowelled] IPCase installed perfect, you'll prob'ly keep eating IPB's. You should get the Full Monty Fix next time; seems to be the way HD is handling the issue. First fail, you only get a new bearing/race; 2nd time, you get the goods.

Old 08-07-2009 | 03:05 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member

Topspin;

I extended my warranty for this, and the rotor issues. Aftermarket warranty extensions are cheaper, just read the fine print and exclusions in light of this issue.

Old 08-08-2009 | 04:20 PM
TMace
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ugly Troll
IPB on wife's 06 Street Bob went at around 13k, still under warranty, local dealer (not selling dealer) took care of it no problem. 2 weeks ago (2 years + out of warranty) same dealer replaced bearing again no questions, we brought in the copy of our letter received at time of purchase (Aug 05). The dealer did not do any of the upgrade type things (new cases etc) but at least they went to bat for us with the factory...I've read and re-read the letter; all I can say is the factory best not ever give us **** about this issue....I got a lawyer who's practically drooling over this one. BTW, her stator went 10 days out of warranty (2 years ago) while we were down in Tn for the national rally....now we keep hearing this is a known and ongoing issue...perhaps I need to investigate further...
Troll, This is so well known that the MOCO actually has a replacement kit for it where the compensator is welded to the rotor instead of bolted. Got mine through Zannottis @ about $210 shipped in about 6 days.

Old 08-13-2009 | 05:28 PM
jasonyankees
|
Advanced

I did exactly what PKELLYMC said and the MOCO is replacing exactly what you said. Im getting the full monty ( LOL ) Thanks for the advice , I had to be persistant, made about 5 calls but I was nice. In the end they did the right thing.
Thanks again
Jason

Quick Reply: 2nd time inner primary bearing