Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swing arm tool bag

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default swing arm tool bag

So after much deliberation I decided to put a tool bag on the bike. I saw this bag on ebay for 16 bucks and I figure what the hell, the member who strapped it to their swingarm did a great job!

So I received it today, cut two slots the size of the straps into the lower belt guard. Cut two new strap holes in the bag itself that are closer to the top (so that more of the upper bag would contact the swing arm rather than the belt guard), strapped it up and it works great, doesnt move an inch, puts NO pressure on the belt guard (even when full) and looks cool to boot!

However, if anyone else decides they want to try this, I strongly suggest not going with a bag any bigger than 10 inches. Mine is a 10 and I can still get at the kick stand however any more and I probably couldn't. Also, 10 inches fits perfectly between the passenger pegs and the shock (so i can still open it with ease) I say this because past the passenger pegs, the swing arm obviously becomes narrower and mounting may be difficult. For some extra rigidity, I might rivet a small band of 12 gauge steel to the back of the bag to ensure it wont contact as the leather breaks in.

Attached Thumbnails swing arm tool bag-toolbag-001.jpg   swing arm tool bag-toolbag-007.jpg  
Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Koonass31
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man looks good i also have my bag on the swing arm nice job on the write up.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Hickey
Road Captain

was it you that posted the swing arm bag a while ago? If so thank you, I would of never thought to put a bag there and I absolutely love it!

Fits a mick of whiskey perfectly! oh, and tools too. haha

Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 AM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I always thought it was a great location for a tool bag too. Looks cool imho. Looks great on your bike.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Wooglint
Novice

I've got one there as well. I used zip ties to mount it and it works perfectly. Only one word of warning... if it rains make sure you have whatever is in there in a zip lock or something. I learned that the hard way

Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Koonass31
Cruiser

No it wasnt me i think the under 50 thread is where i seen it at not sure and i second the ziplock bag, even better is a heavier duty pencil bag they hold up a little better.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 AM
jarhead45
Road Master

mounted to the LOWER belt guard.... I would think that would give way or warp with any weight, such as tools... but it does look great there.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 AM
jhmp
Cruiser

I thought about using pvc tubing. you could even screw fit one of the ends if you like
that would definately be waterproof. Maybe not enough storage for some. Cover it in leather too.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Hickey
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jarhead45
mounted to the LOWER belt guard.... I would think that would give way or warp with any weight, such as tools... but it does look great there.
not mounted to the lower belt guard, I just cut slits in the top part (where it mounts to the swing arm) and wrapped it on the swing arm.

as for the ziplock bag, I just put one in. Good call guys

Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
sonetpro
Cruiser

I used a fender bag I found on ebay. It has a metal mounting plate on it. I notched it to fit a split double washer like is used to attach a pillion seat to a mustang seat. It slips off easy and is just enough room to carry my junk. Like a mini solo bag.

Quick Reply: swing arm tool bag