Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009 | 11:12 AM
pelliott6
|
Tourer
Default Power Commander lesson learned

While I was trying to diagnose why my stock pistons had carbon build up I was double checking everything on my 103 build and found something out to share.

My build was "on the cheap" so I decided to have HD flash the ecu with their standard Stg2 map. Results were great but I kept getting recommended to get the PCV and have a dyno tune so I bought/installed a PCV from Fuel Moto. I never planned a dyno tune because 1)nobody here local that knows what their doing 2)that's another $500. I had tried several maps with no obvious problems, decel popping wasn't that different from the HD map. Wanting to make sure I did not have too much fuel I started looking at the maps and noticed they were adding significant fuel. This made me think that the maps were designed for the stock 96" ecu map. I called Dynojet and they confirmed this. So if you have had HD download a Stg1 or Stg2 map you will need to get a dyno tune to use a Power Commander.

Mine will be up for sale in the classified section right away (it's already off).

Old 08-03-2009 | 11:26 AM
DGDyna
Tourer

I'm a little confused.

You had your HD flash your ECU with the Stage 2 map. Then you added the PCV and that map had the injectors pumping in too much fuel. Correct?

I would think that the PCV would over ride the HD map.

Old 08-03-2009 | 11:33 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

The PCV will override any dealer flash. You can hook up to a laptop and remove the excess fuel yourself.

Old 08-03-2009 | 11:38 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

One other question wouldnt the 103 want more fuel than the 96 not less?

Old 08-03-2009 | 11:47 AM
pelliott6
|
Tourer

according to Dynojet - HD's reflash is in a protected sector, it replaces the stock map. Their maps (& Fuel Moto's) are written to work with the stock 96" map.

The PCV is complementary (it does not replace the stock map) . It uses the current base map and then adds/subtracts fuel to that. Since my current base map is a HD Stg2 none of the available maps were designed to work with this base map.

Yes I could have used the PCV with no problem if I wanted to get it dyno tuned.
I bought the PCV thinking the maps would be my cheap tune. I have nothing bad to say about the PCV, it has a nice interface and was easy to install, use, and modify maps.

I was basically flooding the crap out of the bike.

Last edited by pelliott6; 08-03-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2009 | 11:48 AM
JCK
Road Captain

Old 08-03-2009 | 11:53 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

The map that came with mine from Fuel Moto was flooding the crap outta my bike too. pelliott6 is correct in that the PCV map is complmentary to the dealer flash.If you remove the PCV you will revert back to the dealer flash that you had to begin with.

Last edited by thedonthere; 08-03-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-03-2009 | 11:56 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Did your bike have the flash from HD thedonthere?

Old 08-03-2009 | 01:05 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Did your bike have the flash from HD thedonthere?
Yes it had a stage 1 flash before I did my build. As part of my build I instaled a PCV from F.M. The map Jamie sent with the unit was way heavy on fuel all through the map. I sent him the specs for my build but I think the fact that I stayed at 88ci may have thrown him a cruve ball. 70% of the dyno time was used to remove excess fuel.

Old 08-03-2009 | 01:30 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Aha ok then I guess people with the flash need to check their PC maps.
I never had the flash done to mine and I get great gas mileage and it seems to run fine with the Fuel Moto map (slightly tweaked by me to get rid of excess popping on deceleration)

Quick Reply: Power Commander lesson learned