Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whoop whoop noise FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:26 PM
ricktara
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whoop whoop noise FXDB

I have a 07 street bob with about 2000 miles on it. Lately I hear this whoop whoop sound from the rear of the bike. it is most noticeable when coasting to a stop. It is rythmic and seems related to the rear wheel or belt areas. A local guy said belt was too tight so I loosened a tiny bit and it either got a little better or I just hoped it did. It's worse when I ride two up. Any ideas?

Old 08-01-2009, 01:30 PM
txtec
Banned

belt tension,you need to have it checked .

Old 08-01-2009, 01:37 PM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either as already mentioned the belt, or a tire is a bit flat on one spot. Normally though that would only happen if you locked up the rear for a good distance. Or the tire is cupping at a certain spot.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:24 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

When you ride two up, it puts more tension on the belt, because the belt is not coaxial with the swingarm pivot. The lower the bike, the more tension the belt receives.

You need to get it adjusted properly... "loosening it a tiny bit", is not setting it where it's supposed to be. If you did not loosen both sides the same amount, you will need a rear wheel alignment.... you probably should do one anyway.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:29 PM
'09fxdb
Tourer

Originally Posted by ricktara
I have a 07 street bob with about 2000 miles on it. Lately I hear this whoop whoop sound from the rear of the bike. it is most noticeable when coasting to a stop. It is rythmic and seems related to the rear wheel or belt areas. A local guy said belt was too tight so I loosened a tiny bit and it either got a little better or I just hoped it did. It's worse when I ride two up. Any ideas?
That's your bike talking to you...it's saying "I'm a 2007 with 2000 miles...take me out of the god damm garage and ride me" (I'm like the bike whisperer)

Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by '09fxdb
That's your bike talking to you...it's saying "I'm a 2007 with 2000 miles...take me out of the god damm garage and ride me" (I'm like the bike whisperer)
No ****, LOL!

Old 08-01-2009, 10:30 PM
ricktara
Novice

thanks for the comments, well most of them anyway. I am an auto tech and used the manual to understand how to adjust belt so I did it evenly, but its hard to get the correct spec without a way to measure 10 lbs of force. as for the mileage, yeah I agree , except its rained about every freakin day this summer and this is NH.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:32 AM
'09fxdb
Tourer

Please don't be offended at what I said....I'm sure you love your Harley as much as we all do...just havin' a bit of fun..not all of us are able to ride whenever the urge hits us. It pisses us all off when ever we hear a weird noise or something doesn't work just right .. hang in there and put up with us ******** once in a while...we are all in the same boat...
Bill

Old 08-02-2009, 07:26 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

1/4 inch and 10 lbs,you can't be that far off even by eye trust yourself. look at your brakes and tire carefully too! I'm getting weird noises this year too but I chock that up to moisture. we ain't getting 2 sunny days in a row and I just got back from 2 weeks in cottage country where she slept out under a tarp.

Last edited by maddghost; 08-02-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:35 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe it's just singing to you

"Whoop there it is! Whoop there it is!"

I need my meds...

Quick Reply: whoop whoop noise FXDB