Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons of Programmers for '06 Dynas

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of Programmers for '06 Dynas

I am in the market for a programmer for my new Bob.

There is just too much info on the different types!

Would anyone like to give the pros and cons of the programmer they are using?

I would like to stay around $200. I am looking at possibly the Revtech DFO.

I am just doing slip-ons and air cleaner, so would the HD download work for me as well?

Thanks for any info!

Old 05-26-2006, 03:11 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Pros and Cons of Programmers for '06 Dynas

The SERT is about twice the amount you want to spend but in my opinion it's worth every dollar. I can't speak about the others because I don't have any experience with them.

The SERT is a great tool because you can change literally hundreds of cells of information pertaining to all sorts of engine functions, i.e. idle rpm, spark advance, VE, AFR, accel enrichment and enleanment, etc.

If you get a download you're basically stuck with what you have and can never make any changes. With the SERT you can make changes as many times as you want to account for any situation or riding style you have. I'm probably running my 10th different calibration in the bike right now. Each time I make little changes to advance the timing or increase VE or change idle rpm, the list goes on. Plus with the SERT you can take a ride with a laptop and data log so you can actually "see" what's going on. That's how I get the information to make changes to my maps. It's really an invaluable tuning tool and I'd pay the money all over again for a SERT without hesitation.

I'm sure everybody has their favorite fuel management system of choice but for me the SERT is well worth the money and something that you would surely not regret purchasing once you see the power it contains.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:30 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using a Powercommander. I have about 600 miles on it using a map given by the manufacturer for pipes that are pretty close to what I have (map is for V&H big shots, I have short shots). I was really impressed with the ease of installation and programming, you can adjust every aspect of the map just as you can with the SERT, and they have recently released a rev limit increasing program.

I'm convinced that you could go with any fuel enrichener and be totally pleased as long as you're only doing A/C and pipes; they all seem to have positive results.

My reason for going PCIII over SERT: My dealer told me that he would be happy to sell me the SERT and install it for $1000, but would not guarantee that he would honor my warranty since it is a "RACE" tuner. This directly contradicts what all of the people in the sales department told me when I bought it; they all advised me to change the pipes and A/C ASAP, yet their own service people tell me I'm voiding my warranty. Yeah, yeah, we've all debated on this forum whether or not they can actually do it, but I was looking to avoid the hassle all together. Every time I go to the dealer they threaten me with my warranty for something and I was tired of it.

The Harley dealer's biggest competition in town is a Triumph dealer that specializes in service of Harleys. They are a Powercommander Tuning Center and claim that their dyno guy has more PC dyno tuning time and training than anyone in the country. You can't find anyone around that is displeased with his work. So the decision in my case was easy, forget the dealer, install the PCIII, and have a custom map done for $285. I'm having the map done next week or so, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Oh yeah, the PCIII is around $300, so that's a little over your budget, but I'd say worth it.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:35 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Street_Dennis

I'm using a Powercommander. I have about 600 miles on it using a map given by the manufacturer for pipes that are pretty close to what I have (map is for V&H big shots, I have short shots). I was really impressed with the ease of installation and programming, you can adjust every aspect of the map just as you can with the SERT, and they have recently released a rev limit increasing program.

I'm convinced that you could go with any fuel enrichener and be totally pleased as long as you're only doing A/C and pipes; they all seem to have positive results.

My reason for going PCIII over SERT: My dealer told me that he would be happy to sell me the SERT and install it for $1000, but would not guarantee that he would honor my warranty since it is a "RACE" tuner. This directly contradicts what all of the people in the sales department told me when I bought it; they all advised me to change the pipes and A/C ASAP, yet their own service people tell me I'm voiding my warranty. Yeah, yeah, we've all debated on this forum whether or not they can actually do it, but I was looking to avoid the hassle all together. Every time I go to the dealer they threaten me with my warranty for something and I was tired of it.

The Harley dealer's biggest competition in town is a Triumph dealer that specializes in service of Harleys. They are a Powercommander Tuning Center and claim that their dyno guy has more PC dyno tuning time and training than anyone in the country. You can't find anyone around that is displeased with his work. So the decision in my case was easy, forget the dealer, install the PCIII, and have a custom map done for $285. I'm having the map done next week or so, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Oh yeah, the PCIII is around $300, so that's a little over your budget, but I'd say worth it.
DIDDO wut he said i love my pc111

Old 05-26-2006, 03:39 PM
itsmyforte
Tourer

power commander, i have installed them on 3 different bikes, have had great success with all of them. very easy to load a map, and easy to customize your own. many more dyno techs have experience tuning these than any other fuel mapping system. they can be had for $270. imo well worth $70 over your budget

Old 05-26-2006, 03:46 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

I am just doing slip-ons and air cleaner, so would the HD download work for me as well?
The H-D download will work for hi-flow a/c and SE slip-ons (thats what I have). Anything else will require something fancier. That is my understanding, anyway...

Old 05-26-2006, 03:58 PM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TFI - $250.00

Old 05-26-2006, 04:02 PM
itsmyforte
Tourer

only problem with the download is if you do any other mods, you'll have to remap again. which means more $$$ a PC3, SERT, or TFI can be programmed many many times over with no additional cost. well i guess a dyno run, but it can save you money in the long run IF you plan on future mods.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:04 PM
RWP
Cruiser

PC3 works.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An old buddy of mine that I used to go to school with has started a custom bike shop. I ran into him at the Pittsburgh bike expo.

He said he could do the Power Programmer for $250.00 plus $250.00 for Dyno tuning. He pretty much guaranteed that with the tuning, slip ons, and AC that I'd have a pretty good running bike.

This is another option, but I still need to get an Air cleaner and just bought some new slip ons. I figured if I could get a programmer cheaper, then I could do all the mods right now and not have to wait...I'm pretty impatient!

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of Programmers for '06 Dynas