Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Only Street Bob Stock Muffler Mod Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009 | 09:38 AM
MCT
|
Advanced
Default '09 Only Street Bob Stock Muffler Mod Question

I have a set of '09 Street Bob mufflers on my '02 Super Glide, (I like the look). Anyway, is there anyone who has done simple mods to the baffle to make it sound better, (not obnoxiously louder). I pulled the baffle material, but it still sounds almost stock. I know some of you have gone to great lengths removing the metal mesh, making new end plates, etc. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, just have a slightly better sounding muffler and keep my performance. (I can tune the carb for the exhaust with no problem).

PS: I have searched this forum, (lots of info), but have not found what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 07-28-2009 | 05:59 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior

you can take the baffles completely out then instal BCT monster baffles in the headpipes and have KILLER sound...

Old 07-28-2009 | 09:49 PM
Koonass31
Cruiser

Drill holes in the back plate

Old 07-29-2009 | 12:03 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Whatever you do, don't get the packing all over you. I got that crap on my arms tonight and it's driving me nuts! Stupid fiberglass. Did you see Gary7's ultimate Street Bob muffler mod? He replaced the baffle with a Cycke Shack set up.

Old 07-29-2009 | 06:55 AM
RED_5
Road Master

Gary7 did a great write up on how to mod 09 Street Bob exhausts using Cycle Shack baffles. I did it to mine (just the baffles, no packing) and it sounds great. I'll look for the link to the thread.

Old 07-29-2009 | 10:00 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RED_5
Gary7 did a great write up on how to mod 09 Street Bob exhausts using Cycle Shack baffles. I did it to mine (just the baffles, no packing) and it sounds great. I'll look for the link to the thread.
The "ultimate" mod proved to be a little too loud for me. I wound up having the Cycle Shack baffles modified to completely divert the exhaust into the muffler body so that none flows straight through. I first tried this without any glass packing, but it sounded too tinny. I then added some glass packing to the end of the baffle (no more exhaust blasting the fiberglass into shreds and blowing it out the end of the mufflers). This has given me the perfect Harley sound. It's not too loud at idle or when cruising, but when you get on it, she sounds great.

Here's a vid that shows the mod as well as how it sounded with and without the fiberglass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq4fla_idZs

Old 07-29-2009 | 10:44 AM
RED_5
Road Master

I went with the "ultimate" mod. I get a lot of complements on these. Best $35 I ever spent, except for that time in Montreal...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ffler-mod.html

Last edited by RED_5; 07-29-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: link
Old 07-29-2009 | 03:58 PM
MCT
|
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I am looking for mellow, a touch above legal. I will check out the links and see what the mods look like. Again, thanks!!!

Old 07-29-2009 | 04:21 PM
MCT
|
Advanced

Gary,

I reviewed the video and the procedure to modify the mufflers. However, I think they will be too loud for what I am aiming for. I noted you went back with the stock baffles, no packing. I currently have that set-up on the Super Glide. It is very quiet at idle, a little better when it is being ridden. I had the opportunity to listen to it while my wife rode beside me. I wonder if you are getting a slightly better sound due to your 96" compared to my 88" Any thoughts, or have you found something else???

Marty

Old 07-29-2009 | 04:50 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MCT
Gary,

I reviewed the video and the procedure to modify the mufflers. However, I think they will be too loud for what I am aiming for. I noted you went back with the stock baffles, no packing.
No, what I'm running now is the mod I posted about above--the second half of the vid clip. For me, this is the perfect blend of traditional Harley sound without being overly loud. They are quite a bit louder than stock, but not obnoxious.

Quick Reply: '09 Only Street Bob Stock Muffler Mod Question