Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Fatbob front brake shutter

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:02 PM
reissman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09 Fat Bob here with about 2100 mile on it. I never really noticed a problem on mine? Sometimes the sound of the brakes make me think but then I take off again and my "problems disappear"

Old 09-19-2009, 07:37 AM
BusyHunter
Intermediate

Going in to pick up my bike this morning from the dealer. They called last night and told me it was a loose steering head nut and they adjusted it.

Other than the minor debate as to the description of the problem (chatter, shutter, clunking, vibration) during braking, they said it was gone now.

I will find out shortly. It has been doing it since new, just got worse and more consistent over time so it makes sense to me.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
aaaah, yeah. the majority of your braking should be coming from the front , the front brake on motorcycles represents 75% of your stopping ability. applying heavy front break ,especially in emergency situations is the most effective way to bring her under control without losing control.................this is common knowledge right?

Not in my opinion, locking or applying front brake on an emergency manuevering situation restricts the ability of the front end to counter steer, turn etc.. if that front wheel locks up, its over. you might as well light a cigarette, and kiss your *** goodbye. you will drop her, or you will hit your obstacle.

Applying front brake only leans the bike forward...we all know this, this in turn lightens the rear tire, (the power tire) causing the bike to lose rear wheel torque.

if that happens your ability to manuever and maintain control of the bike is completely altered.

I'd say in a emergency braking situation it should be 70 % rear, 30% front application force.

granted.... locking the back wheel isnt smart either, but in order to maintain control, thats the best ratio IMHO.

There are other factors to consider, but im just keeping my point simple.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:25 AM
BusyHunter
Intermediate

Fallaway adjusted - problem solved.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:57 PM
zrx4me
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CRZYLGZZ
Not in my opinion, locking or applying front brake on an emergency manuevering situation restricts the ability of the front end to counter steer, turn etc.. if that front wheel locks up, its over. you might as well light a cigarette, and kiss your *** goodbye. you will drop her, or you will hit your obstacle.

Applying front brake only leans the bike forward...we all know this, this in turn lightens the rear tire, (the power tire) causing the bike to lose rear wheel torque.

if that happens your ability to manuever and maintain control of the bike is completely altered.

I'd say in a emergency braking situation it should be 70 % rear, 30% front application force.

granted.... locking the back wheel isnt smart either, but in order to maintain control, thats the best ratio IMHO.

There are other factors to consider, but im just keeping my point simple.

unless your riding a chopper with a 300 tire out back and a bicycle tire out front.....Your comment is so totaly wrong.I suggest you take a MSF experienced rider course and learn front braking techniques.This is not meant to be a put down,but it may someday save your life.