Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attach a bag to solo rack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Handycam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attach a bag to solo rack?

I just bought a Nelson-Rigg CTB250 roll bag, after some good recommendations on this thread (thanks)

Problem is, the bag is designed to be attached to a sissy bar/backrest and just sit on a rack. I don't see how it can be attached to a solo rack. I contacted Nelson-Riggs and they said their bags are designed to only be used with a backrest. Their web site is a bit confusing, as it says "can be mounted on rack or seat". I pointed this out and they said "no" and linked me to the pdf of the install instructions (which I already had in the box).

They offered, for another $10 to make me some straps that I might be able to use, which I suppose was nice of them.

However, several riders in the original thread had that bag or the similar Kuryakin bag, mounted directly on solo racks. How are you guys doing this?

I need a way to securely attach the bag back there, but be able to take it off easily when I get to my destination.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:04 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it come with 2 loop straps? if no I guess you can buy some black shork bungie straps and go around bag.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Handycam
Tourer

It comes with 2 straps with a loop on one end and a male clip at the other. You can loop the one end to something and then clip the other end to the bag. That won't really work for a rack.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:44 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

I just mounted a saddleman rollbag to a motherwell rack on a dyna superglide threw the straps away .two adjustable bungee cords crisscross and rap around the rack then take two plastic ties and put them thru the d rings and tie them to the side bars on the rack works well. be patient when you line it up

Old 07-25-2009, 03:12 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jojo2dog
I just mounted a saddleman rollbag to a motherwell rack on a dyna superglide threw the straps away .two adjustable bungee cords crisscross and rap around the rack then take two plastic ties and put them thru the d rings and tie them to the side bars on the rack works well. be patient when you line it up
And this is why we ride Dynas. Use your imagination and nothing is impossible.
My Iron Rider luggage came with a warning that they had to be used with a sissy bar. I threw the warning away.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:20 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

$8 cargo nets have made my life easy i can strap anything to my Dyna with them. If you buy the big one you can lay it right over that bag and hook the hooks to the luggage rack and it aint going anywhere. I do it all the time for work with large gym bag and sometimes part of my Tbag upper roll.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:05 PM
reclaimer53
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Saddleman small roll

I had the same problem with a Saddleman small roll bag on my bobtail rack on my fatbob. I did some creative weaving with the straps and it came out great.

I just took it off today or I would have take pics.

hope I can remember what I did when I put it back on.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, most bags are made to fit with a sissy bar…….not a solo rack. That’s why I suggested the bags I did. They’re made to work with a solo rack. I looked at a lot of bags and the Biker’s Friend – Cruzer Roll Bags were the best option I found in a bigger size than the Harley bag I already had.

Hope you find your workaround for your bag.

In my opinion this is a really lacking segment of the market for parts/accessories……bags made to fit solo racks. If I had any talent at fabrication I would make my own line.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have that same bag and attach it to my solo rack by using 2 short bungee chords. I set the bag on the rack then take one of the short bungee chords and wrap it around the back of the rack to take up slack until the chord is short enough to have good tension and hold the bag on good. I then hook one side of the bungee to one of the d loops at the back of the bag then hook the other end to the other d loop in back straight across from it. I then do the same thing for the front of the bag.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Handycam
Tourer

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
I have that same bag and attach it to my solo rack by using 2 short bungee chords. I set the bag on the rack then take one of the short bungee chords and wrap it around the back of the rack to take up slack until the chord is short enough to have good tension and hold the bag on good. I then hook one side of the bungee to one of the d loops at the back of the bag then hook the other end to the other d loop in back straight across from it. I then do the same thing for the front of the bag.
I wound up doing the same thing! Great minds think alike.

Quick Reply: Attach a bag to solo rack?