Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to install a new tank/hardware on fat bob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:56 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How hard is it to install a new tank/hardware on fat bob?

Hey everyone,

I have a new set of tins coming with different paint in a few weeks. I am going to need to move the fuel lines/fuel gauge/ etc to the new tank. I was wondering how difficult it will be to do myself or if I will end up needing to get the local indy to do it? I didn't know if there is a fuel pump in the tank to contend with or not????? Any advice would be appreciated. I think I can handle the fenders without issue but the tank could be a little bit of a challenge. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:06 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

I just did this, it's very simple, on the top of this section they have a how to thread it's in there with pics.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
Hey everyone,

I have a new set of tins coming with different paint in a few weeks. I am going to need to move the fuel lines/fuel gauge/ etc to the new tank. I was wondering how difficult it will be to do myself or if I will end up needing to get the local indy to do it? I didn't know if there is a fuel pump in the tank to contend with or not????? Any advice would be appreciated. I think I can handle the fenders without issue but the tank could be a little bit of a challenge. Thanks.

lee, it's not too bad, take your time, it's all in your Service Manual,

and you can have a look at post #3, (fuel tank disassembly), here.....

Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Word of caution disconnect the fuel it's a quick disconnect type...........it will break very easily. Also use two vice grip pliers and pinch the cross over fuel line then cut line between pliers and then take tank outside to drain

Old 07-24-2009, 01:54 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. I have a few weeks to read through it. I'm getting ready for Sturgis this weekend but once I get back I'll probably get into it. Thanks again!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:42 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

One other question. A buddy of mine mentioned today that the rear tire may have to be removed to remove the rear fender......does anyone know that this is necessary on the fatbob? Thanks.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:27 PM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way on the tire removal. I took mine off the other day to put on a tri bar tail light. Real simple. Remove seat and ground from battery. Two studs on each side off fender need to come off, they screw into a bracket that will fall out when you get both bolts out off one side-- an extra hand will prevent scratches. Remove taillight lens and unplug signal wires. Remove stud inside fender that holds signal light on and pull wire through. You will need to locate and unplug connector for the rear lights. Under the seat. Mike.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:18 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

Thanks MG.....I was hoping I wouldn't have to remove it. I'll probably go ahead and install a HD LED rear tailight at the same time and relocate the place to a vertical plate holder on the swingarm. Thanks again!

Old 07-24-2009, 04:48 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

It's better to have an extra set of hands on the rear, I did it myself and was wishing I had someone to steady it when putting the bolts in, kinda scary with new paint.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:15 PM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you put the tribar on be careful not to get the small screws on the bottom of the lens too tight. I did and had too salvage it with some small fender washers after I broke both screw holes. Mike

Quick Reply: How hard is it to install a new tank/hardware on fat bob?