Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H short shots? Live near Boston? FREE BEER

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 317 Posts

The short shots on a Fat Bob sound much louder than the stock pipes.

Rush slip ons are also very nice sounding. Actually the Rush slip ons have a deeper tone to them.
The V&H Short Shots are louder though. I've had both on my Fat Bob.

Note: You probably won't like the stock sound on any new Harley.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:43 PM
BluesCruiser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put the V&H HS slipons on my 08 WG. Had Cycle Shacks slipons on for 100 miles and took them off because they were way too loud. The V&H are also louder that I would like but they sound much more mellow than the Cycle Shacks did. Next I'll be getting the V&H quiet baffles to see if that tones them down some more. I really like the sound, just too loud. I'm up near Lowell if you're in the area sometime, drop me a line.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say your best bet would be to head down to your local dealership on a Saturday and check out the bikes coming in. At my dealership there are probably dozens of bikes with V&H ridden in each Saturday. Plus you'll be able to see and hear several others as well. Personally I like the sound of the V&H short shots. Going to be ordering a set of the staggered for the FXD I am rebuilding.

Last edited by RKKY; 07-24-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Blackened
Cruiser

Agree with goddahavit, don't buy a bike on the chance of swapping out exhaust. Buy the bike you want, exhaust is gonna be similar on either bike. I own a street bob, my buddy owns a fat bob, and I've riden it numerous times. Love my street bob. The fat bob, is a verrrrrryyyyyy comfortable bike, great balance, really nice bike. I just would have to change seats to ride it everyday, I'm 5'11 206 lbs, I feel like my center of gravity is way to high on the fat bob.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:35 AM
'09fxdb
Tourer

Originally Posted by jessemoya
Hey guys!

I'm trying to decide between buying a Fat Bob and keeping the stock pipes, or buying a Street Bob and putting on some black Vance and Hines Short Shots. They're both rather slick, in my opinion. The question is: SOUND!

I can go to any dealer and hear how the stock Fat Bob pipes sound. Is there anyone near Boston who has Short Shots on their Dyna? If you're willing to meet up so that I can hear how they sound, then I will give you FREE BEER.

YES, FREE BEER FOR LETTING ME HEAR HOW YOUR BIKE SOUNDS! A six pack or a pint, any kind you like!

Otherwise, if you guys have any advice for me as far as choosing between the two models, I would love to hear it!
So what the hell do you want???.. a bike or a "CD" with the sound of a bike?? seems like you got a lot of things to work out...

Old 07-25-2009, 01:33 AM
blusbrother
Stage II

i had this same problem with chsing my ultra. So i chose two tone paint over black> put a cheap set of rush 2inch baffel slip ons> And im very happy with my decision. They sound great i have two tone paint and bike is worth more at resale.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:38 AM
jessemoya
Intermediate
Default Clarification

Originally Posted by Goddahavit
Deciding what bike to get based on something as easily changeable as pipes is not the best way in my opinion.

Get the one you like, get the pipes you like, done.....
Both will sound the same with the same pipes.
That's the thing, though. Ideally I could get Street Bob price, with the Fat Bob 2-1-2 pipes, with the V&H sound (incl. BCT baffles).

What I'm trying to decide is whether or not I like the look of the FB stock pipes enough to sacrifice on sound. First I need to know exactly how much of a sacrifice that is.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:47 AM
jessemoya
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BobbyD
Just a word of caution........I remember reading something in the "Globe" that there is a Bill circulating around City Hall (Boston) that they are looking to make any modification to exhaust systems illegal. Don't remember the full context of the Bill but I remember something about all pipes must have the original EPA certification and can't be modified from stock. Something about a $300.00 ticket for violations. Even though you're on the other side of the "Charles" if this Bill becomes effective you could have a problem if you cross the river. Might want to investigate just in case.......
The rumor I hear is that all pipes have to have an EASILY VISIBLE EPA rating on them. The problem is that my stock pipes have the imprint underneath, where a cop would have to get on his knee to look at. Basically, there are no street legal Harley's, even the Police bikes!

Obviously this is a problem, and the response over here has been rather negative. It looks like this bill is probably doomed, but you can't always count on a.... bunch? collection? What's the term for a group of elected officials? Oh, that's right, a toilet bowl. As I was saying: you can't always count on a toilet bowl of elected officials to act within reason or respond to the will of the electorate.

Either way, I'm applying to Law School and don't plan on living in the Boston area much longer. Thanks for the heads-up, though!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:35 AM
MyBeerBelly
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would check your local dealerships and see if they have a bike night or any type of promo running soon...go to their event and there will be tons of short shots on people bikes to listen to...if you are considering shot shorts, you should also check out the big shots...
J