Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plan of Attack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:09 PM
croweman6
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plan of Attack?

I am very new to motorcycling and want to start customizing my new super glide. I know I want to black it out, put on a lay down plate bracket, and get 2 into 1 pipes. My questions come because I am very new. I would like to learn more about bikes and do whatever work I can myself. I also want to save as much money as possible. I was told getting all the engine components powder coated may be a better alternative to getting covers. I have a pretty good idea on what to do with the battery cover band from the $50 and under forum. I have no clue what is best and where to start, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 PM
RCB
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to wrench on your bike, the best thing you can buy for it is a service manual. You should be able to get one from the stealer. It will be the best $50.00 you'll ever spend on your bike.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCB
If you want to wrench on your bike, the best thing you can buy for it is a service manual. You should be able to get one from the stealer. It will be the best $50.00 you'll ever spend on your bike.
+1 on the manual and get a jack as well.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The greatest resource you will ever find is the experience of the people on this forum. I have saved untold dollars and hours of frustration by asking the more experienced riders how to handle basic procedures and some more advanced customizing tips. I worked on cars for years, but the importance of safety when riding leaves much less room for error. If you ever have any questions about anything, I will gladly help if I can!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:43 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1000 on getting a service manual first thing. It will pay for it self everytime you use it.

Just read threads here and check out other peoples rides. Even a thread you think isnt something you want can teach you alot of things.

Unless you are someone that knows exactly what you want I say start small.

You have the right idea.

You have a general theme to start with and a few small mods you want to start with (battery band, Laydown Lic). Look at other small things like pegs and grips that fit your style and before you know it you cant do the mods as fast as you can think of what you want to do.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be in too big of a hurry to change things. Your taste will likely change as you look around (especially on this board), and you don't want to redo too much...but most of us do anway. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Asking how to do things around here at low cost is a loaded question.
Sure everything may be low cost, but when you add up all the little low cost items you've done over time, you've saved a bundle. And spent ten times what you thought you could.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:06 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Asking how to do things around here at low cost is a loaded question.
Sure everything may be low cost, but when you add up all the little low cost items you've done over time, you've saved a bundle. And spent ten times what you thought you could.
Sad but true. I sold all my old tins except the rear fender. Now I look at it thinking I'll just fill the tail light hole.......got enough paint to make it the same color as the bike......get a springer........... then I can switch looks at will. Somebody put me out of my misery! This never ends.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Failz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCB
Originally Posted by thedonthere
+1 on the manual and get a jack as well.
+1 PM me and I'll tell you how to make a lift for $36. I need to get around to posting that in the $50 and under forum.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 PM
120hp harley
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Manual is a must and if you can check out any local bike clubs. Get a chance to see finished ideas and get tricks and maybe some help on your own scoot.

Quick Reply: Plan of Attack?